Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The third beta of iOS 7.1 includes a feature that allows users to delete the over-the-air installation files that are automatically installed whenever an iPhone is connected to AC power, according to German site Macerkopf.de [Google Translation]. Deletable installation files will allow users who do not wish to upgrade their devices to new versions of iOS to free up valuable space on their devices.

Previously, updates downloaded over-the-air could not be removed, an issue that received attention in September after iOS 6 users were forced to install iOS 7 or lose 3.1 GB of storage space to the installation file.

overtheairdelete.jpg
Users with iOS 7.1 beta 3 who have not installed the update will see it listed in the Settings menu, under General --> Usage, where it can be removed like any other app or file. The file can be deleted if it was downloaded over-the-air in the background or manually.

While over-the-air files can be deleted as of iOS 7.1 beta 3, there is a possibility that this is a beta-only feature that will not make it into the final release of the software. Apple often adds and removes features during the course of beta testing, such as the dark keyboard that was available in iOS 7.1 beta 1 and removed in beta 2.

First released to developers last week, iOS 7.1 beta 3 also includes a number of visual changes that give iOS 7 a revamped look and feel, including a redesigned Phone dialer, an improved keyboard, and darker colors for the Phone, Messages, and FaceTime apps. It is unclear when Apple plans to release iOS 7.1 to the general public, but a December report suggested the update could launch in March after a lengthy beta testing period.

Update: As several commenters have pointed out, the new feature is actually part of the second beta, as it is the download for third beta that can be deleted without ever being installed.

Article Link: Over-the-Air iOS 7.1 Download Files Deletable in Beta 3

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Need to make an update to iOS6 that allows us to delete the iOS7 "update"!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This probably have to do with Apple getting sued by that iOS 6 user who lost space. He wanted his 3GB of space back and I can understand his PoV. Some devs need an iOS 6 devices to test their apps on, until they go iOS 7. They're forced to download iOS 7 without an option to turn it off.

Sadly, it won't help the iOS 6 users.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So you delete the file. Plug in your phone to AC power and it downloads it again? That's what I got from this article.

Why not just have a switch to prevent OTA updates vs app updates?

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I didn't know Music is Musik in German. And Photos are Fotos. Camera is Kamera. Sweet! :D

zonk44

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Switzerland
This is very likely just a beta feature, to be removed soon. It would be a disaster if it was possible to delete updates. For example, if the app uses core data and an update comes with a data model update and a migration logic, all your data would be lost after the deletion of the update

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
This is very likely just a beta feature, to be removed soon. It would be a disaster if it was possible to delete updates. For example, if the app uses core data and an update comes with a data model update and a migration logic, all your data would be lost after the deletion of the update

no. you would only be able to delete if you havent installed it

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't really understand why someone would buy an iphone and then not want to have the latest software that leverages the hardware. For the 4 and 4s barely a maybe understanding, but for the 5, 5c, and 5s -- come on, you got the iphone, now update it and move on. I do hope they leave this in for developers. I totally get wanting to have phones at different iOS levels to test their apps.

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Why not just have a switch to prevent OTA updates vs app updates?

I agree. I'm working in a remote place right now and all our communication is through satellite but we still have wifi. Whenever one of these updates comes out it almost shuts us down as everyones phone starts updating. I know not a common problem but it actually costs us money in overruns on our cap. There really should be an option to turn off automatic downloading of the update.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I don't really understand why someone would buy an iphone and then not want to have the latest software that leverages the hardware. For the 4 and 4s barely a maybe understanding, but for the 5, 5c, and 5s -- come on, you got the iphone, now update it and move on. I do hope they leave this in for developers. I totally get wanting to have phones at different iOS levels to test their apps.

People buy their phone knowing what the current software does. Far as I'm concerned if they don't wish to upgrade for whatever reason, they shouldn't have to upgrade...

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

No it wouldn't.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Too little, too late. That feature was needed for iOS 7.0 now its all over.

Yeah, but what do you want to bet that this* will happen when iOS 8 is released, too? This should be helpful in the future for users in similar situations as the ones that were problematic with iOS 7.0.

(And to everyone saying to this poster, "No, you meant iOS 6": you are not being a cooperative listener/reader. Yes, the feature was technically needed in iOS 6, but it was for iOS 7.0--just as was stated.)

*by "this," I meant the problematic automatic downloading of iOS updates, even for users without either space or desire to install it--not just the fact that a lot of people dislike the iOS 7 UI.

Last edited:

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
it is possible they could release a 6.1.5 update with bug fixes and this kind of basic maintenance

doesn't mean they will, but they could. Apple's supported multiple code branches at once before like before the ipad was merged

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
People buy their phone knowing what the current software does. Far as I'm concerned if they don't wish to upgrade for whatever reason, they shouldn't have to upgrade...
One of the things the 'current software' does is update itself to newer software. Far as I'm concerned if they don't wish to upgrade for whatever reason, they shouldn't be buying software that is known to update itself.

Seriously though, forcing users to update is a major feature of the platform as it makes it much more secure and allows vulnerabilities to be quickly squashed. Some of them can be done by minor updates that don't have user-centric changes, others cannot. If a user doesn't want the benefits of iOS they shouldn't be using it, nor should they be pressuring Apple into making it less secure for everyone. A pool of people who don't update attracts malware developers to the platform in general, and while they may start with known vulnerabilities on old versions, some of them could branch out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.