Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac9346

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Hi,
I wish to ask if it is possible to upgrade the RAM of a MBP 15" min 2012 non retina. I have a 8GB Ram at the moment and I wish to upgrade this to 16GB. Is this possible does the machine supports 16GB RAM? It is 2.6GHz and Intel core i7. Can this overload the machine or can it have any bad consequences?

Thanking you in advance

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hi Thanks for your reply. :)

But why apple says that the maximum memory that can be installed is 8GB?

My worries are, do I damage the machine somehow if I install 16GB memory?

No, tons of people have 16 GB of RAM in their non-Retinas.(myself included) Apple probably keeps this hush-hush to make the retinas look more desirable.

Heck, the non-retinas could probably take 32 Gigs of RAM if someone started making 16GB ram chips.

Mac9346

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
No, tons of people have 16 GB of RAM in their non-Retinas.(myself included) Apple probably keeps this hush-hush to make the retinas look more desirable.

Heck, the non-retinas could probably take 32 Gigs of RAM if someone started making 16GB ram chips.

Hi thanks for the information. So I will be soon upgrading my MBP to a 16GB memory. Thanks again. :):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.