Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Hi, I am new to macrumors.

anyone able to help me out would be solid. I am stuck trying to get my mac pro 5,1 to boot up.

Specs are

OSX drivers (I tried nvidia and it just doesnt work)
Latest cuda and nvidia drivers.
2 GTX 680(can the firmware be updated?)
I have 36gb ram. 4 8gb and 4 1gb.. -(is this a problem?)

Anyways - I am missing something, I have to reboot about 5-6 times before it goes past the grey screen with the apple logo.

I need this for Davinci Resolve and Adobe CC -

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Geo

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Command and V keys held down while booting to get a text boot so you can see where it fails. But as the other poster alludes too probably power problems still be nice to know if there are errors.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Powered by BoosterX5

I did get an 450 w internal power supply that is recommended for this situation.

I will try Command V and look to see if it errors.

Thanks!

George

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
I attached some text boot screens.

I think I must have messed this thing up when I was trying to get my usb3 cards to work. - That is the only time I added these Kext files.

So I see that it must be corrupt, but I am a little novice on what action I should take. Maybe I should just wipe and re-install? I have a ton of programs and plugins, Digital Juice etc… so it would be quite the investment to install again. -

Or would I just be able to transfer, and get rid of the kexts, and the corruption? I have a new drive I can put a fresh install on. -

Or just remove the bad files? - I am not sure.

Thanks for any feedback.

second thoughts - would i be better off with Mavericks, performance wise for my main task of Adobe CC, and Davinci Resolve? I don't game so I am just editing, and need the Cuda performance, and the GPU support for faster renders with Davinci. -

thank you for all the advice.!

Geo

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
I attached some text boot screens.

I think I must have messed this thing up when I was trying to get my usb3 cards to work. - That is the only time I added these Kext files.

Geo

Can I attache files? :mad:

I am a newb... - wow...

photo%201.PNG

First Screen That Shows Up
photo%202.JPG

WHere the load Stops
photo%203.JPG

This is the top of the page where it stops.

I Guess I may need to delete some kext files, but I am not sure. - Is the Netkas thing what is corrupting my load? I pulled the card out, and it boots right up.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Can I attache files? :mad:

I am a newb... - wow...

First Screen That Shows Up
WHere the load Stops
This is the top of the page where it stops.

I Guess I may need to delete some kext files, but I am not sure. - Is the Netkas thing what is corrupting my load? I pulled the card out, and it boots right up.

Why all the hackintosh files is this a real Mac Pro? If not I suggest insanelymac.com for help they deal with them every day. If it is real mac pro I suggest fresh install for wiping all that junk you installed to be certain there are no left over files.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Why all the hackintosh files is this a real Mac Pro? If not I suggest insanelymac.com for help they deal with them every day. If it is real mac pro I suggest fresh install for wiping all that junk you installed to be certain there are no left over files.

Real good question. I was trying to get my usb 3 card to work, and had no idea of what the heck I was doing !- :eek:

Answers enough for me, I will wipe and reinstall.

George

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Real good question. I was trying to get my usb 3 card to work, and had no idea of what the heck I was doing !- :eek:

Answers enough for me, I will wipe and reinstall.

George

Ok all you will need then if still trying to get the usb3 is the Generic .kext you have downloaded. What card is it you put in?

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Ok all you will need then if still trying to get the usb3 is the Generic .kext you have downloaded. What card is it you put in?

I am gonna Try to install Mavericks and see where I end up. I wasn't ready to make this leap yet, but I thought I might be ok. I have too many apps that I have loaded, so maybe time to start over.

I have an Orico USB 3 card. I have been using for the 5,1 pretty good. It would not work on my 2,1 I think I maybe loaded crap kexts on my 2,1 trying the same thing. - Dang!

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I am gonna Try to install Mavericks and see where I end up. I wasn't ready to make this leap yet, but I thought I might be ok. I have too many apps that I have loaded, so maybe time to start over.

I have an Orico USB 3 card. I have been using for the 5,1 pretty good. It would not work on my 2,1 I think I maybe loaded crap kexts on my 2,1 trying the same thing. - Dang!

A quick Google search seems to indicate it works. Which machine you doing this in then the 2,1, operating system involved?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Orico+USB+3+mac+pro&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en-CA&oe=UTF-8

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Depending on the model of Orico card, OS X may have drivers for it natively now (actually, ever since 10.8.2). Before bothering with third party kexts, I would try to use the card after your fresh install to see if it works.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Ok Right On. I am loading mavericks now on my 5,1 and I deleted the old kext files I loaded on the 2,1.

I pulled the card on the 2,1. So I will get it back in there and give it a shot.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
I had no idea what I was doing, but I remember I installed multibeast.... What a multi dope! I think I just didn't look before I jumped..

SO I installed mavericks, and migrated my apps, tried to install my second gtx680 and it wouldn't boot... The verbose mode revealed the same thing... So I must of migrated all these bad kext files...

So geez... What a drag.

The other thing I noticed is the Mac ran slllooowww.

So I am wiping the drive and I guess I gotta lot of apps to install...

Oh wise and genius Mac rumor peeps, is there a way to migrate apps, without the system prefs coming with them? I had unchecked items like documents, files and folders, network settings, and users, but sure enough the Kexts were in my extensions folder on the maverick install...

I am gonna reinstall, and first try to put the dual card to use...

Cuba wouldn't load on my premiere install either... Really acting stranger term...

Would it be better in anyone's opinion, for me to just install 10,8.5 again instead of risking the sluggishness and compatibility issues...

Wow long weekend coming.

Thanks for the troubleshooting and advice..

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Fresh Mavericks Install. -

DUAL BOOT no problems! - whew!

Now I need to import all of my programs. -

Can I do this without importing the bad system files?

Thanks

George

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Fresh Mavericks Install. -

DUAL BOOT no problems! - whew!

Now I need to import all of my programs. -

Can I do this without importing the bad system files?

Thanks

George

If the old install is still on the machine a drag and drop from its Application directory to new install's should do you. Now this way you will have to reconfigure all the apps if needed perhaps even re-install a couple if they had .pkg installers.

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
If the old install is still on the machine a drag and drop from its Application directory to new install's should do you. Now this way you will have to reconfigure all the apps if needed perhaps even re-install a couple if they had .pkg installers.

Ah - Thanks MU2525 - I am gonna try this. I realize This will probably save my but.

I think I used the same user information. uid and pw. But if not is there a work around for permissions? I was trying to find out about this just in case, I think I have had a problem with this before...

Thanks for the tip and help...

coloradodv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Success!

I have Mavericks working well.

I realize I loaded some things from Tonyosx86 that I had no idea what they were. - Just trying to get usb3 and my esata card working.

Do any of you have a good advice for a USB3/eSata card combined that would work for mac? Since i am out of slots, I thought one of these might be out there.

SO far, Davinci is loving the 2 GPU's!

thanks for all your help.

Geo

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Do any of you have a good advice for a USB3/eSata card combined that would work for mac? Since i am out of slots, I thought one of these might be out there.

SO far, Davinci is loving the 2 GPU's!

thanks for all your help.

Geo

I have CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 other than it taking time (minute or two) to connect up to my e-SATA boxes which others have said does not happen to them and no usb3 hub support it has worked well.

http://www.caldigit.com/fasta-6gu3/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.