Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agtoau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
I plan to buy the 8TB (4 x 2TB) solution - Pegasus2 R4. At a future date, if I want to replace these drives with four 3TB or 4TB drives, would Pegasus2 allow that?

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I plan to buy the 8TB (4 x 2TB) solution - Pegasus2 R4. At a future date, if I want to replace these drives with four 3TB or 4TB drives, would Pegasus2 allow that?

Yes, there is a drive compatibility chart listed in the download section of the Promise website for the Pegasus2.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
As the other poster has said, check the compatibility matrix on the support website. One thing I will add to this however is the drive caddies support 2.5" devices too - it might be feasible in a couple of years to replace the HDD's with SSD's. Samsung have released 1TB SSD's and they aren't stupidly expensive, I got some for around £400 each. I've not put them into the Pegasus, I have a different need for them and need the Pegasus for capacity. When 2TB SSD's are available though I'd be v tempted to swap out the Toshiba HDD's.

I guess it all depends on whether you need capacity or performance, but there are plenty of options with this array.

bcuzawd

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2013
Do we know what drives come with the Pegasus2 R4's? Are they WD Red, Blue, Black, Enterprise, etc...?

Reason for "ask" is I may buy the empty 4-bay ($700) and put my own drives in for cheaper.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 591

bcuzawd

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2013

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 6.48.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 6.48.32 PM.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 679

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I keep hearing about them coming with Toshiba's also.. but the picture attached is clearly a 3TB Seagate barracuda.

I hope Promise does a significant update to the Promise 2 hard drive compatibility list. The initial/current one is .. a short list.. nearly no enterprise drives.. no 128 MB cache models.. and a bunch on the list are EOL'd so hard to impossible to get. Its an outdated list.

Last edited:

dysert

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Mine has Toshiba drives

I keep hearing about them coming with Toshiba's also.. but the picture attached is clearly a 3TB Seagate barracuda.

I hope Promise does a significant update to the Promise 2 hard drive compatibility list. The initial/current one is .. a short list.. nearly no enterprise drives.. no 128 MB cache models.. and a bunch on the list are EOL'd so hard to impossible to get. Its an outdated list.

See screen shot.

Attachments

• Pegasus2.jpg
    Pegasus2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 668

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Western Digital RE 4 TB (Not RED)

I have my Pegasus2 R4 populated with four new Western Digital RE 4 TB Enterprise Hard Drives which are designed for servers and RAIDs. These are RE not RED. They are similar to the consumer desktop Black series with 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD4000FYYZ. I split the drives into a RAID 1 for two drives and JBOD for the other two. Works great without any problem. Not on the Promise list, but the specs for these drives exceed most of the drives on the list.

Attachments

• Pegasus2.png
    Pegasus2.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:

bcuzawd

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2013
I have my Pegasus2 R4 populated with four new Western Digital RE 4 TB Enterprise Hard Drives which are designed for servers and RAIDs. These are RE not RED. They are similar to the consumer desktop Black series with 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD4000FYYZ. I split the drives into a RAID 0 for two drives and JBOD for the other two. Works great without any problem. Not on the Promise list, but the specs for these drives exceed most of the drives on the list.

Those are the type I would expect to come with such an expensive array. A bit too much $$ for my wallet unfortunately. :( I'll have to hit the less reliable ones and hope for no catastrophic failures.

Appreciate the info Rad.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Do we know what drives come with the Pegasus2 R4's? Are they WD Red, Blue, Black, Enterprise, etc...?
Reason for "ask" is I may buy the empty 4-bay ($700) and put my own drives in for cheaper.

The Promise Pegasus2 R4 comes with four 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2 drives.

Attachments

• Pegasus2.jpg
    Pegasus2.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 454

cyberock

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
I ordered a diskless R4 which is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I am going to try to put in 4TB WD Blacks. Read somewhere that people have had no problems with the blacks so I will soon find out myself.

krell100

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I ordered a diskless R4 which is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I am going to try to put in 4TB WD Blacks. Read somewhere that people have had no problems with the blacks so I will soon find out myself.

I'd be interested to know if those Black's work. Was pretty much resigned to 4x 3Tb Barracuda's in the R4…

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Just got a diskless R4 today and put 4 3TB Barracudas in it. Took about 8:15 to do the initial RAID 5 sync. Works great so far.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Can people post their Read/Write performance with their R4's with the Toshiba, Barracuda and WD RE.. drives :) ? Strip block size, and if its a Pegasus 2 or Pegasus 1 R4.. and whats its hooked up to.. nMP? oMP? MBP? imac?

I personally want to put the seagate ES.3 ST2000NM0033 enterprise drives in my diskless P2 R4 which is supposed to arrive today. Its not on the list.. I keep waiting for an update to that awful compatibility list.

gibkibonzo

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Just got a diskless R4 today and put 4 3TB Barracudas in it. Took about 8:15 to do the initial RAID 5 sync. Works great so far.

Hi,

Can you please post your read/write speeds in RAID5? Also, are you on nMP or a TB1 machine?

Thx

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Hi,

Can you please post your read/write speeds in RAID5? Also, are you on nMP or a TB1 machine?

Thx

I didn't run much more than BlackMagic on it, and even that was bouncing around a bit depending on the run. In general though, I was getting 500-550MB/sec writes and 450-475MB/sec reads. This was with a RAID 5 configuration using a 128KB stripe size and 512B sector size.

I have it plugged in to my 2011 MacBook Air right now. Still waiting for the nMP to arrive. I'm curious if there will be a speed difference between the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.