Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Hello
I have had my macbook since the end of november and to begin with i couldn't use it very much because I was busy with work.

i have now started using it a lot over the last 2 weeks and something doesn't seem right.

First i created a windows 8 virtual machine in vmware fusion and a few days later the machine was in my library but the files on the hard drive had disappeared! I have no recollection of deleting the files and the missing link in fusion makes me suspicious.

Then the other day I was just installing some apps from the app store and suddenly the macbook switched off and said something like "
your computer restarted because of a problem" mac equivalent of BSOD.

Last night i was using the machine and iPhoto crashed accessing iCloud.

This morning i have switched on the machine and it said something like your computer was restarted because of a problem (popup error)
I have also noticed that when i browse the local hard drive sometimes there are delays opening folders in finder - Like i'm waiting for the drive to spin up - but this is an SSD!

Going to phone applecare later and see what they say but not very pleased.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Hello
I have had my macbook since the end of november and to begin with i couldn't use it very much because I was busy with work.

i have now started using it a lot over the last 2 weeks and something doesn't seem right.

First i created a windows 8 virtual machine in vmware fusion and a few days later the machine was in my library but the files on the hard drive had disappeared! I have no recollection of deleting the files and the missing link in fusion makes me suspicious.

Then the other day I was just installing some apps from the app store and suddenly the macbook switched off and said something like "
your computer restarted because of a problem" mac equivalent of BSOD.

Last night i was using the machine and iPhoto crashed accessing iCloud.

This morning i have switched on the machine and it said something like your computer was restarted because of a problem (popup error)
I have also noticed that when i browse the local hard drive sometimes there are delays opening folders in finder - Like i'm waiting for the drive to spin up - but this is an SSD!

Going to phone applecare later and see what they say but not very pleased.

Putting windows on it must have upset it :eek:

I also had an odd one on my 2013 rMBP it wiped all my saved files in traktor & all my playlists, I now have to create all my playlists again :(

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Sounds like you have a lemon.

With disappearing files it would suggest that your SSD is faulty.

Apple are very kindly swapping the macbook since I tried a format/reinstall and the issues still persist. Long delays browsing the HDD !

They wanted to setup a repair at Genius bar but I pointed out that we're only 7 days past the holiday return policy so they are doing a swap.

I get the new Macbook friday hopefully :)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
VMware fusion 6.0.2 can cause kernel panics. I had it crash once on my late 2013 13" rMBP and the late 2013 15" also. Only happened once on each machine. I googled and saw someone else also had this issue. If you look att he panic log it should refer to Fusion as the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.