Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Back to School Promo Kicks Off in Australia and New Zealand

Apple has launched its annual back to school promotion in Australia and New Zealand, offering education customers free gift cards for the company's digital content stores with the purchase of a new Mac, iPad, or iPhone. Gift cards can be used in the App Store, Mac App Store, iTunes Store and iBookstore, and are available in the following amounts:

- Purchase a new Mac except Mac mini or Mac Pro: AU$ 100 or NZ$ 125 gift card
- Purchase a new iPad or iPhone: AU$ 50 or NZ$ 65 gift card

The gift card offer comes on top of Apple's education pricing, which discounts Macs by up to several hundred dollars. Eligible customers include faculty and staff of K-12 and higher education students, as well as students and parents of students at higher education institutions. The program runs through March 20, and all purchases must be made direct from Apple through the company's online store for education or by phone. Australian customers may also make their purchases at Apple retail stores in the country.

Apple offers its Back to School promotion offerings in a number of countries around the world, staggering their timing to match the respective school calendars. The largest version of the program is typically offered in the July-September timeframe for North America and Europe.

Article Link: Apple's Back to School Promo Kicks Off in Australia and New Zealand
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:41 AM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Weird - I never realized Australia chose to have their school calendar run opposite that of NA/EU. Seems like it would make it difficult to coordinate foreign exchange students.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:42 AM   #3
tomhumphrey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Weird - I never realized Australia chose to have their school calendar run opposite that of NA/EU. Seems like it would make it difficult to coordinate foreign exchange students.
It is you guys who have it opposite.
Is much more logical to start a new school year with the calendar new year.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:50 AM   #4
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's summer there right now so it does make sense. But they are definitely different than the rest of the modern world.
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:59 AM   #5
tarkeybear
macrumors member

So are hemispheric school schedules based on harvest dates?

I was surprised as well, but it makes sense that independent cultures would coordinate their school schedules around harvest seasons. Peak sun "summer" = greatest demand for labor in agrarian societies.
Just speculating here, not an expert on Academic timing...
tarkeybear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:19 AM   #6
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Interesting, not only does the water flush the other way in the toilet there, but the school calendar is opposite as well.

-Sent from the USA
Old Jan 14, 2014, 01:21 PM   #7
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Well it's obvious. Every country has their main holidays / new school year start at the end of their respective summers. And it is summer here in Australia now.

And for tertiary students it's easy as everything runs in semester length subjects.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx11 View Post
It's summer there right now so it does make sense. But they are definitely different than the rest of the modern world.
You've never been to Australia. We are just the same as the rest of the modern world. We have all the facilities, use the SI system, use a decimal currency, have a high percentage of Apple product usage etc etc.

The only real point here is different hemispheres of the world have opposite seasons, that's all.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:08 PM   #8
fermat-au
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
You've never been to Australia. We are just the same as the rest of the modern world. We have all the facilities, use the SI system, use a decimal currency, have a high percentage of Apple product usage etc etc.
The US don't use the SI system, so is the US part of the rest of the modern world?

-Sent from the Australia
fermat-au is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Nermal

Quote:
Your Internet sucks though

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat-au View Post
The US don't use the SI system, so is the US part of the rest of the modern world?
What a silly question!
Nermal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:58 PM   #10
sshambles
macrumors regular

I always thought (both as a student and now as a teacher) how weird it was not to base everything from the start of the year and finish at the end. You Non-Australians have got what we have summer-holidays, but your yearly calendar doesn't fit the actual calendar. When the end of the year comes we have decent time off. Works well. Only thing in line with everyone else is financial year. Starts July 1st.

If be hard pressed to seem any people with money this time of year buying a Mac so soon after Christmas holidays. I don't remember this last year when I got my iMac...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:18 PM   #11
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat-au View Post

-Sent from the Australia
Are you trashing the "freedom" units?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:48 PM   #12
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Your Internet sucks though
And NZ internet is any better? I think not.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:50 PM   #13
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
I always thought (both as a student and now as a teacher) how weird it was not to base everything from the start of the year and finish at the end. You Non-Australians have got what we have summer-holidays, but your yearly calendar doesn't fit the actual calendar. When the end of the year comes we have decent time off. Works well. Only thing in line with everyone else is financial year. Starts July 1st.

If be hard pressed to seem any people with money this time of year buying a Mac so soon after Christmas holidays. I don't remember this last year when I got my iMac...
Indeed, I have always found it totally bizarre that many people start the year around August. Everything lining up with the calendar is a pretty obvious way to do it . The university year starts with summer school in January-February, it would be too weird if that were July-August.

As for the deals, I haven't seen anything that decent offered around here before - we don't even really have an Apple presence in NZ, but the online store deals with app store gift card ... hmmm, I wish I could justify a 13" rMBP, but I no longer use any Apple hardware, and that would seem a bit superfluous.

----------

Quote:
It was, but from what I hear the crazy low data caps you lot used to experience have been going away the last few years.
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Nermal

Quote:
Hmm, in that case I have no idea why you guys are busy building an FTTN network so that by 2017 you'll have caught up to where we were in 2011...

But don't take me *too* seriously!
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:42 PM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Hmm, in that case I have no idea why you guys are busy building an FTTN network so that by 2017 you'll have caught up to where we were in 2011...

But don't take me *too* seriously!
Haha well said. Well you know every country is bad at something and for Australia it's internet.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:06 AM   #16
Candlelight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well Australia isn't.

#MandatoryAustraliaBashing
Candlelight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:37 AM   #17
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Lots of countries have non-September school year beginnings -- here in Japan the school year starts in April, with spring.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:18 AM   #18
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's done for the same reason the US and other countries in the northern hemisphere have their main school break over summer.

Internet - our 3G system is faster than the US 4G, this was tested when Apple release it's first 4G products that at the time only worked in the US. We also have 4G which must be faster than 5G

Last edited by Lancer; Jan 15, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:28 AM   #19
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Deleted.

Last edited by osx11; Jan 15, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:47 PM   #20
Nermal

Quote:
I meant that Australia was the only true modern country in the southern hemisphere.
Wow!
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion