Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Hello
I have 2012 rMBP 15'' and since I bought it I had iPhoto and iMovie on it and I have never paid for it, today I did clean install of Maverics since my computer were getting quite slow. Now after reinstall apps like iPhoto and iMovie are missing in my Applications library and now they cost 8£. Why is that so?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hello,

iPhoto and iMovie (and Garage band) came for free with your new MBP.

Go to the App Store, Purchases tab, and see if "you have 3 Apps to accept".

If not, do you have a backup of your MBP ?
If you have one, just copy iPhoto and iMovie to your Applications folder, then go the App Store, Purchases tab : you should be offered to upgrade them for free.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Latest versions of iPhoto and iMovie are free with new Mavericks hardware, not when upgrading to Mavericks.

If you owned iPhoto and iMovie before, you should be (legally) able to get the older version that came with your original OS (Mountain Lion, I think).

Did you look for at your "purchased" apps list? It should be there. If it's not, check that there are no hidden purchases (View account information>show hidden purchases).

If it's not there, there's a chance that iPhoto and iMovie were never associated with your Apple ID - in other words, Apple doesn't know how you legally own it.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Hello
I have 2012 rMBP 15'' and since I bought it I had iPhoto and iMovie on it and I have never paid for it, today I did clean install of Maverics since my computer were getting quite slow. Now after reinstall apps like iPhoto and iMovie are missing in my Applications library and now they cost 8£. Why is that so?

You only get iLife apps with new hardware; so if you had bought a new Macbook with Mavericks already installed you'd have the free iLife apps. Installing Mavericks on an older machine doesn't count.

However once you "accept" the apps on the new hardware you can install them on your older Macs as well. :)

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Latest versions of iPhoto and iMovie are free with new Mavericks hardware, not when upgrading to Mavericks.

If you owned iPhoto and iMovie before, you should be (legally) able to get the older version that came with your original OS (Mountain Lion, I think).

Did you look for at your "purchased" apps list? It should be there. If it's not, check that there are no hidden purchases (View account information>show hidden purchases).

If it's not there, there's a chance that iPhoto and iMovie were never associated with your Apple ID - in other words, Apple doesn't know how you legally own it.

I have nothing in purchases. How exactly show hidden purchases, can't find the option?

I bought my rMBP with Lion if I remember correctly and then had free upgrade to ML since it was released few weeks after and then I updated to Mavericks when it was released, all that time I had iPhotos and today when I did clean install they show as paid and not as installed in App Store.

E:
I found where they should be but I have no hidden ones. I don't understand why. I mean, if they were once for free they clearly were associated with my account. I really loved those two apps and don't really want to pay for both of them if I own them already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 21.58.33.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 21.58.33.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 122

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You must :

1. put a copy of iPhoto (9.x.x) and iMovie (9.x.x) in your Applications folder
(no matter where they come from).

2. App Store : login with your Apple ID

3. App Store : Updates tab : iPhoto 9.5 and iMovie 10. will be available.

(this is how I get the last versions of iPhoto and iMovie after a fresh install of Mavericks on an external USB drive. The old iPhoto and iMovie I copied to the App folder came from one of my Macs running Snow Leopard, iPhoto and iMovie coming from the "Applications Install DVD").

Last edited:

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
You must :

1. put a copy of iPhoto (9.x.x) and iMovie (9.x.x) in your Applications folder
(no matter where they come from).

2. App Store : login with your Apple ID

3. App Store : Updates tab : iPhoto 9.5 and iMovie 10. will be available.

(this is how I get the last versions of iPhoto and iMovie after a fresh install of Mavericks on an external USB drive. The old iPhoto and iMovie I copied to the App folder came from one of my Macs running Snow Leopard, iPhoto and iMovie coming from the "Applications Install DVD").

Awesome. That worked! I took them from my old MacBook and now I was able to update them to newest version. Thanks :):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.