Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Black Sabbath's 1970s Albums Come to iTunes With Limited Exclusivity

A number of Black Sabbath's 1970s albums, including Paranoid and Masters of Reality have finally made their way to iTunes with limited exclusivity, according to The New York Times. Previously, only the band's later material was available on iTunes.
Quote:
On Tuesday the band and its label, Warner Brothers, announced that iTunes had started selling its first eight studio albums, along with three compilations. But iTunes' window of exclusivity is expected to be short. According to people briefed on the deal who were not authorized to speak about it, Black Sabbath's music should come to streaming services in about a week.
Tony Iommi, the band's lead guitarist, said that it had "been a long time trying to explain to fans why the music wasn't available." While there is no official explanation for the delay, it's widely believed a dispute between the band and Warner Music was the cause.

The eight studio albums are available on iTunes for $9.99 apiece, while the three compilations range from $9.99 to $59.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Black Sabbath's 1970s Albums Come to iTunes With Limited Exclusivity
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
kkluth
macrumors newbie

It's about time.
kkluth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:07 PM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
It's nice that Apple acknowledges that there is a genre called "Metal", but Black Sabbath is certainly not in it. They're Rock, maybe Hard Rock, but not Metal.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:33 PM   #4
MetalMoon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
It's nice that Apple acknowledges that there is a genre called "Metal", but Black Sabbath is certainly not in it. They're Rock, maybe Hard Rock, but not Metal.
Yes they are considered metal, they started the genre. Sure they aren't as heavy as metal is consider today, but the genre had to start somewhere and it started with Black Sabbath.
MetalMoon is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:45 PM   #5
bluesky681
macrumors newbie

Quote:
And why the hell hasn't Apple added Indie to the genre list?? It's by far the most popular among older teens!
bluesky681 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:49 AM   #6
JackieInCo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky681 View Post
And why the hell hasn't Apple added Indie to the genre list?? It's by far the most popular among older teens!
I'm an older teen and I'll take the Sabbath please.
JackieInCo is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:55 AM   #7
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Great to see all the Sabbath available.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:19 AM   #8
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

They must be running out of money.
Jsameds is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:38 AM   #9
japanime
macrumors 65816

I'll bet the reason for the long delay in getting these albums to iTunes can be boiled down to two words:

Sharon Osbourne.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:48 AM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Sabbath have something to do with starting the genre? Or at least I thought anyway.

Anyway, still Sabbath rule. I found their newest album surprisingly awesome.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:51 AM   #11
Brenster
macrumors regular

Is this a US specific thing?

Black Sabbath have had their Ozzy era albums on iTunes here in the UK for quite a while now, both in their single 'disc' and double 'disc' Deluxe configurations. Likewise both configurations of the Ozzy era have been on Spotify in the UK for the same period.

If the Mastered for iTunes files represent an audible improvement then I might well buy them again. However the sound on the recent (2009?) 2 'disc' Deluxe reissues was pretty damned good - doubly so for the 2 early 80s Dio fronted albums.
Brenster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:30 AM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenster View Post
Is this a US specific thing?

Black Sabbath have had their Ozzy era albums on iTunes here in the UK for quite a while now, both in their single 'disc' and double 'disc' Deluxe configurations. Likewise both configurations of the Ozzy era have been on Spotify in the UK for the same period.
It could be. Some of the BEST U2 albums are still not available in the US iTunes Store, but apparently have been on the UK Store for years.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:35 AM   #13
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

I’ve got everything from the Ozzy era on CD and didn’t even realise that they weren't available on iTunes. Good to see that they’ve been added.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:02 AM   #14
therockyroad
macrumors member

I still find it odd that I can buy the 256 kbit AAC of the "Paranoid" album for $10 on iTunes ($14 in Aust!), but I can buy the 1,411 kbit CD on Amazon for $5 and then rip it for digital storage at whatever rate I wish. Plus I can go back to the CD at anytime if I want to go lossless in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Paranoid-Black...bbath+paranoid
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:59 AM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMoon View Post
Yes they are considered metal, they started the genre. Sure they aren't as heavy as metal is consider today, but the genre had to start somewhere and it started with Black Sabbath.
Ha - no. It didn't start until nearly a decade later, with Metallica (I think. I'm not sure when exactly other early metal bands formed... Some were right about the same time as Metallica.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:12 AM   #16
syndalis
macrumors member

Quote:
Ha - no. It didn't start until nearly a decade later, with Metallica (I think. I'm not sure when exactly other early metal bands formed... Some were right about the same time as Metallica.)
You are out of your element, Donnie.

Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin are considered the founders of metal. Judas Priest refined it, and THEN you started getting the thrash stuff you consider "metal".
syndalis is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:13 AM   #17
disinfectant
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to disinfectant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky681 View Post
Because it's not 2003 anymore and a genre by that name is way too ****ing vague these days.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:46 AM   #18
keith590
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndalis View Post
You are out of your element, Donnie.

Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin are considered the founders of metal. Judas Priest refined it, and THEN you started getting the thrash stuff you consider "metal".

Led Zepplin metal? You surly are mad.
keith590 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:47 AM   #19
JackieInCo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith590 View Post
Half the people can't even spell Led Zeppelin in this thread.
JackieInCo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:57 AM   #20
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockyroad View Post
I still find it odd that I can buy the 256 kbit AAC of the "Paranoid" album for $10 on iTunes ($14 in Aust!), but I can buy the 1,411 kbit CD on Amazon for $5 and then rip it for digital storage at whatever rate I wish. Plus I can go back to the CD at anytime if I want to go lossless in the future.

1. You're comparing uncompressed and compressed bit rates.
2. Mastered for iTunes tracks are created from 24 bit masters. Audio CDs are only 16 bit.
ohbrilliance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:57 AM   #21
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockyroad View Post

It seems a little odd. Indeed. But what we are paying for is the convenience. The convenience of not having to order a CD. The convenience of not having to rip a CD. The convenience of not having to manage files on our computers. The convenience of not having to store a CD in our homes. 1-click. Buy. Listen.

It seems a little odd — but there is a high price and a big demand for convenience these days (even at the loss of quality). Understandibly so.

Still, you are right, it seems a little odd.

On a different note: For many, streaming is probably an even cheaper option. And some streaming services are even serving files in lossless quality now.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:36 AM   #22
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
It seems a little odd. Indeed. But what we are paying for is the convenience. The convenience of not having to order a CD. The convenience of not having to rip a CD. The convenience of not having to manage files on our computers. The convenience of not having to store a CD in our homes. 1-click. Buy. Listen.

It seems a little odd — but there is a high price and a big demand for convenience these days (even at the loss of quality). Understandibly so.

Still, you are right, it seems a little odd.

On a different note: For many, streaming is probably an even cheaper option. And some streaming services are even serving files in lossless quality now.
Those things are inconvenient? Wow, I'm getting old.
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:50 AM   #23
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
I'll bet the reason for the long delay in getting these albums to iTunes can be boiled down to two words:

Sharon Osbourne.
I doubt that, Ozzy has been in the itunes store for awhile now. And given her love to spend, I doubt she would want to leave money on the table. I could be wrong.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:02 AM   #24
dernhelm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
Half the people can't even spell Led Zeppelin in this thread.
Lord I hope this is supposed to be irony. (Given that he spelled surely wrong)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:07 AM   #25
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith590 View Post
Led Zeppelin bud,

I like the fact they are in the iTunes store, but a little late for me. I already have all of their albums. Can never have enough Black Sabbath in your music library, even the Ronny Dio years!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion