Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I love my ipad air, and im starting to like the ios more than the android even though its more restricted, its also more stable and has better and more apps.

The only thing keeping me from selling my samsung galacy s4 and getting the 5s right now is the display size, if rumors are true and the iphone 6 really is getting a bigger screen count me a new apple fanboy!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
out of curiosity why is screen size a big issue for you? i know myself and a lot of others are fine with the 4 inch, even the 3.5 inch but wouldn't mind a larger display.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I love my ipad air, and im starting to like the ios more than the android even though its more restricted, its also more stable and has better and more apps.

The only thing keeping me from selling my samsung galacy s4 and getting the 5s right now is the display size, if rumors are true and the iphone 6 really is getting a bigger screen count me a new apple fanboy!

You're only 8 months away from your device. Can you even sleep at night?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is no telling what size the screen size will be on the iPhone 6. I would probably stick it out until then if I were you. Unless you just have money to throw around then go for it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would be surprised if they chenge the screen size this soon. They only did the 5/S form factor a year and a few mponths ago. If anything I could maybe see the 5/S replace the 4S, and we see a bigger phone with the 6. But I am not so sure. If that is the ONLY reason you're holding out, I wouldn't.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
out of curiosity why is screen size a big issue for you?

I'm not OP, but for basically everything that you would use the "smart" part in a smartphone is much nicer and easier on a bigger screen. Including, but not limited to:

- browsing
- watching videos and looking at photos
- navigating
- playing games
- communications, mail, chat, IM

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
You can enjoy iDevices without being one of these crazies! ;)

If screen size is a deal breaker then definitely wait and see. The GS4/GS3 screen is noticeably bigger (although I like the 4in screen on my 5S).

Yes, the 4inch screen and huge bezels are a deal breaker for me. Im hoping for a new design with smaller bezels, and at least a 4.5inch display on the iphone 6, altogether with a revamped ios 8.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
From my perspective, I feel the 5 is the optimal size. Of course, I felt that way about the 4, and adjusted to the larger 5 just fine.

Maybe, the same will happen with the 6's rumored larger screen.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
It seems "crazy" to think they'd make the switch to a new size after only 2 years when the previous size lasted 4-5 years.

I did like the larger screen for videos and some reading but find the iPhone size to be nice. The S4 was always creeping out of my pocket. and felt weird trying to sit down with it in a pocket.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I would be surprised if they chenge the screen size this soon. They only did the 5/S form factor a year and a few mponths ago. If anything I could maybe see the 5/S replace the 4S, and we see a bigger phone with the 6. But I am not so sure. If that is the ONLY reason you're holding out, I wouldn't.

It seems "crazy" to think they'd make the switch to a new size after only 2 years when the previous size lasted 4-5 years.

I did like the larger screen for videos and some reading but find the iPhone size to be nice. The S4 was always creeping out of my pocket. and felt weird trying to sit down with it in a pocket.

I'm not a big fan of phablets myself, but I do see the move to bigger screens pretty obvious... At least from Apple's point of view, of course...

Look around. A lot of people want big phones. Why just ignore them? Make a big one too, so you embrace a larger market.

I think it would be ideal to keep the same internals and just change its size, just like the iPad Air and the Mini.

And btw, personally, I'd go for 4.5", maybe 4.7, but not more. (As long as bezels are almost non existent).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm not a big fan of phablets myself, but I do see the move to bigger screens pretty obvious... At least from Apple's point of view, of course...

Look around. A lot of people want big phones. Why just ignore them? Make a big one too, so you embrace a larger market.

I am not convinced that their extra market reach would be worth the investment.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'm not OP, but for basically everything that you would use the "smart" part in a smartphone is much nicer and easier on a bigger screen. Including, but not limited to:

- browsing
- watching videos and looking at photos
- navigating
- playing games
- communications, mail, chat, IM

I agree that some of those things are better on a larger screen (mostly internet browsing and videos/photos). I didn't find navigating or communicating any better, personally.

Anyways, it isn't that people don't want a bigger screen because they don't want more screen space... they just don't want a phone that's too big to be useful in their hand. All those points you made are meaningless if the experience is unergonomic.

To paraphrase you, everything is better on my 24" monitor with mouse, keyboard, and full desktop OS... but I'd understand if you don't want to carry it with you everywhere ;)

Personally, I'm hoping for a 4.4"-4.6" iPhone 6, if I hold out that long, and if iOS 7/8 gets back to the speed of 5/6.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah, because I'm the only want who wants a bigger iPhone.

that's... not at all the point...

The numbers you see on enthusiast forums of people wanting a bigger for in no way represents an actual market need. There very well may be one. But the point is, YOU, nor I, have the market data to back that up.

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico

When I used my iphone 4s and saw the Galaxy s3 i liked the screen size so i decided to get it (huge step for me) and at first i was comfortable and decided to get the galaxy s4 and i enjoyed it a lot but after some months of thinking that i was comfortable i realized that the only thing that i liked about my s4 was the screen, and i hated the os in general, the mediocre compatibility with osx and my home automation system, i hated the system crashing once in a while and the poor build quality of the chrome bezel of the s4 and the apps not well designed for the screen size, so i decided to get the iPhone 5s and after 2 months I realize that the only thing keeping me with the galaxy( screen size) was less important than the positive things i get with my iphone .

And yes i am an apple fan, but i have tried windows pc android phones, and realize why i am an apple fan.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
When I used my iphone 4s and saw the Galaxy s3 i liked the screen size so i decided to get it (huge step for me) and at first i was comfortable and decided to get the galaxy s4 and i enjoyed it a lot but after some months of thinking that i was comfortable i realized that the only thing that i liked about my s4 was the screen, and i hated the os in general, the mediocre compatibility with osx and my home automation system, i hated the system crashing once in a while and the poor build quality of the chrome bezel of the s4 and the apps not well designed for the screen size, so i decided to get the iPhone 5s and after 2 months I realize that the only thing keeping me with the galaxy( screen size) was less important than the positive things i get with my iphone .

And yes i am an apple fan, but i have tried windows pc android phones, and realize why i am an apple fan.

My totally exact situation with the same feelings. Android can be nice on a large phone, but IOS is better.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
that's... not at all the point...

The numbers you see on enthusiast forums of people wanting a bigger for in no way represents an actual market need. There very well may be one. But the point is, YOU, nor I, have the market data to back that up.

There's data to back it up. Just look at how many "big" phones are sold from other brands.

That being said, this debate is pretty pointless. It seems Apple is gonna release a bigger iPhone no matter what neither I nor you think about it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I think a bigger phone would be a succes.

I've been thinking about the iPad, and back in 2010 everybody was like "It's just an iPhone with an enormous screen!" And that's just it. The iPad is an iPhone with an enormous screen - and that's why people love(d) it.

I think that a bigger display, if done in the right way, will improve the user experience and will be a succes for Apple.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There's data to back it up. Just look at how many "big" phones are sold from other brands.

That being said, this debate is pretty pointless. It seems Apple is gonna release a bigger iPhone no matter what neither I nor you think about it.

MOST falgship devices nowadays are large. So the numbers are sor tof scewed. Unless you go Apple, you don't really have an option of going smaller. Unless of course you want to go with a budget device with 2+ year old technology. There is a lot more that goes into selecting the "opponent" device than just screen size...

As far as debating, I enjoy it. :) So to me it's not pointless. I haven't seen any real concrete evidence that Apple has any desire to release something bigger. So far it's all smoke and mirrors. Vaporware. Would I welcome it? Sure. Do I think it's necessary? Not with the increases in sales we have seen year after year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.