Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chrome for iOS Adds Data Compression and Translation Tools [Updated]

Google today announced an update to its Chrome web browser for iOS, bringing data compression functionality that can reduce data usage by up to 50%.
Quote:
To start saving data and turn on an even more secure browsing experience, visit "Settings" > "Bandwidth management" > "Reduce data usage." Then simply turn the toggle to "On." From this menu, you'll also be able to track how much bandwidth you save each month as you browse on Chrome.
The update will also see the addition of a translation bar that automatically offers to translate web pages into the user's language. The translation bar will be familiar to users of the desktop version of Chrome, as a similar feature is already available on that platform.

Google says that the update will be rolling out "over the next few days". Chrome is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update January 27: The update is now available.

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Adds Data Compression and Translation Tools [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Skika
macrumors 68020

Data compression option is something i wish for in Safari.

Last edited by Skika; Jan 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Skika is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Loyalty4Life
macrumors regular

But is it snappier?
Loyalty4Life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
DaveN
macrumors 6502

The words "even more secure browsing experience" are not words I ever expected to hear when referring to anything Google but then again that is what Google PR department is pushing out. In fact, I suspect that this routes every one of your page views through Google's computers for a thorough data mining operation.
DaveN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:28 AM   #5
mateen110
macrumors regular

data compression was announced months ago. this update just rolls it out to everyone..
mateen110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
The words "even more secure browsing experience" are not words I ever expected to hear when referring to anything Google but then again that is what Google PR department is pushing out. In fact, I suspect that this routes every one of your page views through Google's computers for a thorough data mining operation.
What does their data mining have to do with security in a browser?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:33 AM   #7
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It says so right there in the screenshot. "Chrome is using Google servers to compress pages you visit before downloading them."
mbh is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:41 AM   #8
ZOZO
Banned

How is this different from regular HTTP Compression?
ZOZO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:04 AM   #9
B4U
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This! Exactly why I refuse to put anything from Google on my phone if I can.
Has anyone seen their share of the money when Google was fined by exploiting Safari?
B4U is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZO View Post
How is this different from regular HTTP Compression?
HTTP compression works directly between the client and server, and does not involve routing the client's requests through an intermediary proxy like Google's method. Also, HTTP compression is lossless and transparent, whereas Google transcodes images to WebP.
Rigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
HTTP compression works directly between the client and server, and does not involve routing the client's requests through an intermediary proxy like Google's method. Also, HTTP compression is lossless and transparent, whereas Google transcodes images to WebP.
I don't know much about WebP, could you tell me more about the effect it would have on browsing (speed and image quality).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:48 AM   #12
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
What does their data mining have to do with security in a browser?
How is it secure if they snoop ALL YOUR DATA before passing it on to you?
DaveN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
As secure as their servers are, which is actually quite secure.

Or we could run around paranoid...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:31 PM   #14
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As secure as their servers are, which is actually quite secure.

Or we could run around paranoid...
So let me get the straight. You are afraid of the off-chance that someone may be intercepting your non-https web browsing but are ok with passing your non-https data through a company whose business model is data mining? Wow.

Last edited by DaveN; Jan 15, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
DaveN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:46 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
So let me get the straight. You are afraid of off-chance that someone may be intercepting your non-https web browsing but are ok with passing your data through a company whose business model is data mining? Wow.
Probably because those aren't the same things at all.
C DM is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:28 PM   #16
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't know much about WebP, could you tell me more about the effect it would have on browsing (speed and image quality).
WebP is Google's own image format that results in even smaller image files, thereby speeding up the transfer and display of those images. That's not a concern, but what is a concern is that Google is acting as a proxy for *all* of your web traffic. That's scary because they have a responsibility to be running a profitable business, so why would they be giving away this high-tech service for free? There must be something they are gaining from it, and I suspect that data mining, even just knowing which websites your visiting, is giving them ammunition for more effective targeted advertising.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
So let me get the straight. You are afraid of the off-chance that someone may be intercepting your non-https web browsing but are ok with passing your non-https data through a company whose business model is data mining? Wow.
For one, I'm not.

For two, I trust Google more than random strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
WebP is Google's own image format that results in even smaller image files, thereby speeding up the transfer and display of those images. That's not a concern, but what is a concern is that Google is acting as a proxy for *all* of your web traffic. That's scary because they have a responsibility to be running a profitable business, so why would they be giving away this high-tech service for free? There must be something they are gaining from it, and I suspect that data mining, even just knowing which websites your visiting, is giving them ammunition for more effective targeted advertising.
They're gaining our data, yes.

To be honest, that isn't the problem I have with Google these days. They can have my data, the worst that happens is that I get targeted ads.

Oh, also, WebP sounds amazing.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Google claims that WebP compression results in about 25% smaller file sizes compared to existing schemes like JPEG and PNG, so speed should be somewhat better on graphics-heavy web pages.

When using WebP in lossy mode, the transcoding results in a loss of image quality. It depends on the settings how significant this is. Considering the small screen size on a phone, it's probably not very relevant if you are just viewing the images. However, perhaps a bigger concern is that you lose access to the original source image. Sometimes I store images I find on the web for later use or email forwarding, and for that I'd rather have the original JPEG or PNG.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:52 PM   #19
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So lemme get this right. You are worried they could snoop your data before passing it on to you. Question: If you're using Chrome wouldn't Google already have the data you're so worried about? Following the "Evil Google" theme, if you're on Chrome they are going to use this to re-mine the data they already have? Got it.

Look healthy skepticism is a good thing. Paranoia is something else altogether. If you don't use Chrome you can sleep safer at night.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:30 PM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Google is trying to outdo the NSA on privacy invasion. The NSA put back doors into Linux that have never been code reviewed - I bet Google did the same with WebKit. Apple probably kept removing them, thus prompting Google to branch away.

Also, don't kid yourself about the security of Google's servers. Nothing is impenetrable/unhackable. Even if Google has the most secure servers in the world, your best bet for retaining your privacy is to not trust all your data with a single company. Just like you shouldn't use the same password everywhere (if a single company leaks it, they may as well all have) - you shouldn't trust a single company with your everything. If Google leaks, everything you've ever done on the web is out.

Personally, I'd rather simply not be tracked, thus my switching to DuckDuckGo. Not only do they not track me, I actually rather like their "bangs" (shortcuts.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:37 PM   #21
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Google is trying to outdo the NSA on privacy invasion. The NSA put back doors into Linux that have never been code reviewed - I bet Google did the same with WebKit. Apple probably kept removing them, thus prompting Google to branch away.

Also, don't kid yourself about the security of Google's servers. Nothing is impenetrable/unhackable. Even if Google has the most secure servers in the world, your best bet for retaining your privacy is to not trust all your data with a single company. Just like you shouldn't use the same password everywhere (if a single company leaks it, they may as well all have) - you shouldn't trust a single company with your everything. If Google leaks, everything you've ever done on the web is out.

Personally, I'd rather simply not be tracked, thus my switching to DuckDuckGo. Not only do they not track me, I actually rather like their "bangs" (shortcuts.)
And thus they made Blink, an Open Source project. Must be a bunch of people just twiddling their thumbs. I'm told that Open Source prevents these backdoors. Or are people, the community that is looking over the code and so forth, just being nice to Google and giving them a pass?

Edit: And for the record, no computer is immune from hacking, but Google's servers are quite secure. The only time I can remember them being hacked was using a flaw found in IE 6. So, really, stop neigh paranoid.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:39 PM   #22
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalty4Life View Post
But is it snappier?
snappier? are you from the 90s?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:41 PM   #23
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post

And similarly DuckDuckGo is a conspiracy to get more people to go to them so that they can gather more data (and become more popular).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:43 PM   #24
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
To be honest, that isn't the problem I have with Google these days. They can have my data, the worst that happens is that I get targeted ads.
Yeah, the worst part about Google these days is getting bugged to sign into Google + every time you want to watch a video on YouTube. Iíll take heavily targeted ads over that any day.
GeneralChang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:49 PM   #25
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChang View Post
Yeah, the worst part about Google these days is getting bugged to sign into Google + every time you want to watch a video on YouTube. Iíll take heavily targeted ads over that any day.
That's not so bad.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion