Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
'Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition' Now Available for iPad




Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, the sequel to the original Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iOS released in late 2012, can now be downloaded from the App Store.

The game, which has been made available thanks to a collaboration between Beamdog, and Atari, is a remake of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and the following expansion packs: Throne of Bhaal, Fist of the Fallen, Unbound, A Shadow's Life, In Defense of the Wild, The Black Pits II: Gladiators of Thay, and Gallery of Heroes II.

Quote:
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."

Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.

Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?
As with the original Baldur's Gate for iOS, Baldur's Gate II includes multiplayer functionality, remastered artwork, and interface improvements. Baldur's Gate II has also been available from the Mac App Store since November.

Baldur's Gate II can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition' Now Available for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
As someone who is heavily addicted to keyboard shortcuts, I can't say that I'm excited to buy this. That being said, I will certainly get the Mac version when I have more time to really "get into" it.

Also, I don't have $14.99.

...Also, I don't have an iPad...
yet...
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
As someone who is heavily addicted to keyboard shortcuts, I can't say that I'm excited to buy this. That being said, I will certainly get the Mac version when I have more time to really "get into" it.

Also, I don't have $14.99.

...Also, I don't have an iPad...
yet...
As someone who played the BG series way back when they first arrived on the PC, I thought the iPad version was set up quite nicely, and played almost as well on a touchscreen as they did with a mouse and keyboard. Doubly so with the recent patch.

If you ever get an iPad, and start feeling nostalgic, I'd say it's worth considering.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:31 AM   #4
DRShissler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
DRShissler is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
As someone who played the BG series way back when they first arrived on the PC, I thought the iPad version was set up quite nicely, and played almost as well on a touchscreen as they did with a mouse and keyboard. Doubly so with the recent patch.

If you ever get an iPad, and start feeling nostalgic, I'd say it's worth considering.
I happen to remember constantly screwing with the install and constantly moving files on and off one of the 6 CDs to optimize performance depending on where I was in the game, all while fitting most of what I could on a 2 GB platter... And the massive improvement gotten while cannibalizing my friend's computer temporarily to get that extra 16 MB of RAM... Ah the good old days

Yeah, you have definitely convinced me to get this and buy an iPad whether I can afford it or not eventually.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
I wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll be sure to have some IAP/DLC for you to dump some extra money into.
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:51 AM   #6
everything-i
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
While I can easily see the sarcasm in your comment, the real problem is, there are way too many people that actually do think this way which is why IAP is endemic in mobile gaming these days. For a game like this with no IAP $14.99 is a great price.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:02 AM   #7
iapplelove
macrumors 68000
 
iapplelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
That makes zero sense. Unless your not serious ?
__________________
15" MBP 2012 ,8gb ram,500gb hd/iphone 6 Plus 128gb/ipad Air 64gb/ipod nano/apple tv 3rd gen
iapplelove is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:24 AM   #8
connan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
im a fan of RPGs so i owe it to myself to play this game, though i know itís not easy because of the governing system. Still, for $25 is well worth it.
connan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:25 AM   #9
ironsienna
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
14.99 is money well spent for this game... You wouldn't complain to spend them for a book.. (well if you read at all). This game is as deep, artistic and entertaining as a good novel..
__________________
My apps:
ironsienna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:35 AM   #10
wwchris
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Sarcasm Fail.

Now I just have to figure out where the fail occurred, the writing or the reading? :-) Since I got it, I'm inclined to chalk this one up to reader fail :-)
wwchris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:36 AM   #11
psac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
Well done, sir. I see some others have their sarcasm detector turned off.
psac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:25 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRShissler View Post
Really $14.99 for an iPad game? When are these developers going to learn! Why can't I just get the game for free and then be asked to purchase in game items to unlock spells or do any thing of value inside the game? I would much rather pay several hundred dollars over the next several months then pay this outrages price of $14.99 for a stinking iPad game!
After the first sentence, I was all set to write an annoyed response to your post, glad I read on.

As weird as it sounds, I'm glad this game costs so much, I hope it sells well. I'd love to see bigger, more in-depth games like this. And the only way it'll happen is if more people are willing to spend a bit more than $1 / Ä1 for a game.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:00 PM   #13
txa1265
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
BG2 is one of my all-time faves, and I didn't have any issues with touch-controls in BG1 that some complained about. So I was thrilled I could buy it and work through the opening dungeon last night! Awesome!
txa1265 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Asuriyan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Been hanging on to BG1:EE in my backlog- it's taken me most of the year to beat KotOR. As I've only played the second Baldur's Gate, and not the original, I feel like I owe it to myself to beat the one I already own before buying another many-hour investment.

...but damn it, I was just given a $20 iTunes gift card yesterday. That's gotta be a sign.
Asuriyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:32 PM   #15
MHenigan50
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Send a message via AIM to MHenigan50
Not Available

I went through the link and thought I had DL the Enhanced Version and come to find out it is NOT the enhanced version at all. Feel like I have been shortchanged and paid for the older version not the supposedly available BD II: Enhanced version. There is no sign of it on the App Pages.

Mike
__________________
MacPro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB Ram, 1 TB & 500 GB Drives
MHenigan50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:56 PM   #16
jclo
Editor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHenigan50 View Post
I went through the link and thought I had DL the Enhanced Version and come to find out it is NOT the enhanced version at all. Feel like I have been shortchanged and paid for the older version not the supposedly available BD II: Enhanced version. There is no sign of it on the App Pages.

Mike
Though the app name only says "Baldur's Gate II" it is actually the enhanced edition. It has remastered graphics, a touch-screen friendly interface and all the expansion packs -- see the App Store description. There isn't an older version of Baldur's Gate II available for iOS, just this one, which came out on 1/15.
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
I happen to remember constantly screwing with the install and constantly moving files on and off one of the 6 CDs to optimize performance depending on where I was in the game, all while fitting most of what I could on a 2 GB platter... And the massive improvement gotten while cannibalizing my friend's computer temporarily to get that extra 16 MB of RAM... Ah the good old days
I remember feeling extra futuristic when I finally got a harddrive that had enough space to install the entire game on, and still had some room to spare. 4GB was kind of a big deal back then.

...yeah, those really were simpler times.

Quote:
Yeah, you have definitely convinced me to get this and buy an iPad whether I can afford it or not eventually.
When you get (and yeah, you probably will :P), the one thing I recommend is setting the game to autopause when you first encounter monsters, then pausing after every round. The one thing that kinda lacks compared to the old PC version is that you don't have the spacebar under your thumb at all times, so you can't pause at a split seconds notice.

That probably sounds like a down side, but I actually ended up liking playing through it that way a little more more, because it makes it feel more like a turn based game. Instead of watching everything roll on, then panicking when something bad happens, you handle battles more strategically. It's kinda cool.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:04 PM   #18
Parasprite
macrumors 65816
 
Parasprite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
When you get (and yeah, you probably will :P), the one thing I recommend is setting the game to autopause when you first encounter monsters, then pausing after every round. The one thing that kinda lacks compared to the old PC version is that you don't have the spacebar under your thumb at all times, so you can't pause at a split seconds notice.
I had always set it to Autopause on encounter, but thought the autopause between rounds felt a bit strange when everything moves so quickly anyways. However that sounds like a good setup in the case of the iPad version.

Thanks for the tip!
__________________
Has anyone, anywhere, ever actually used ~/Pictures/iPod Photo Cache/ for anything besides deleting or hiding it?
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:21 AM   #19
Smigit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
For a game like this with no IAP $14.99 is a great price.
There is some IAP, namely for new characters. That doesn't concern me, this is perhaps my favourite game ever and I'd happily pay a lot more for it. A few extra characters is still better than constant micro transactions.

The one feature I hope they get around to adding is iCloud sync with the OS X version.
Smigit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 05:54 AM   #20
txa1265
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigit View Post
There is some IAP, namely for new characters. That doesn't concern me, this is perhaps my favourite game ever and I'd happily pay a lot more for it. A few extra characters is still better than constant micro transactions.

The one feature I hope they get around to adding is iCloud sync with the OS X version.
iCloud would definitely be nice!

And I agree on the price / IAP: the Mac/PC version costs more but includes the characters. They are just doing what they did originally with BGEE - making the initial cost lower on iPad, but after all the stuff is added they cost the same.

(Speaking of which, the PC version of BG2EE is super-cheap at GamersGate this weekend ... but sadly no Mac version there!)
txa1265 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:19 AM   #21
MrXiro
macrumors 68030
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Anything over $10 is too much for a mobile game IMO... especially if it's a game that's well over a decade old.

They should have made it $4.99 and they would have sold more copies to make up for the difference... $14.99 is a commitment and that's one I wouldn't make for an old game.
__________________
Whole lotta , very little $.

MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 09:17 AM   #22
sundragon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Anything over $10 is too much for a mobile game IMO... especially if it's a game that's well over a decade old.

They should have made it $4.99 and they would have sold more copies to make up for the difference... $14.99 is a commitment and that's one I wouldn't make for an old game.
While I would normally agree with your sentiment (a lot of iOS games drop in price when the developers realize they aren't selling fast enough). I would rather pay $15 up front than be nickel and dimed into paying $$$ with in game purchases that are required to progress. There are a few iOS/Android Devs - GLU and Gameloft being the WORST offenders...
sundragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:08 PM   #23
MrXiro
macrumors 68030
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
While I would normally agree with your sentiment (a lot of iOS games drop in price when the developers realize they aren't selling fast enough). I would rather pay $15 up front than be nickel and dimed into paying $$$ with in game purchases that are required to progress. There are a few iOS/Android Devs - GLU and Gameloft being the WORST offenders...
Well on that note... if I payed for a app I'd expect no IAPs. Even if it's 99 cents. IAPs are insulting if I've already paid. On Free apps I'm ok with them... cause I can just say... "goodbye" and delete it without feeling like I was ripped off.
__________________
Whole lotta , very little $.

MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS-neutral: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced, Nov. 15 Solomani Mac and PC Games 5 Sep 9, 2013 03:35 AM
'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Returns to App Store Following Contractual Dispute MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 13 Aug 16, 2013 01:35 PM
OS X: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is now on Mac App Store! Dirtyharry50 Mac and PC Games 2 Apr 2, 2013 01:50 PM
'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Arrives for iPad MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 32 Dec 12, 2012 04:09 PM
OS-neutral: how do you expect Baldur's gate (enhanced version for iPad) to be? nbnbxdnb Mac and PC Games 5 Nov 10, 2012 09:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC