Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

UK Court Allows Activists to Sue Google Over Safari Tracking

A UK Court will allow a group of privacy experts to sue Google over the company's circumvention of privacy settings in Apple's Safari browser, reports Gigaom. Following this ruling, the activists can pursue a tort claim that alleges Google misused their private information. The Honourable Mr Justice Tugendhat writes in his decision:
Quote:
"I am satisfied that there is a serious issue to be tried in each of the Claimants' claims for misuse of private information... The Claimants' application to rely on ground (9) in relation to the DPA [Data Protection Act] claim is allowed... the Claimants have clearly established that this jurisdiction is the appropriate one in which to try each of the above claims."
This case stems from Google's former practice of installing cookies in Safari even when the web browser blocked that practice. Google circumvented the browser's default privacy settings by tricking Safari into thinking a web page was a trusted page. Google did this through code embedded in its ads that made Safari think the user was submitting a form. When a user fills out a form, Safari makes an exception in its privacy policy and allows a cookie to be installed on a user's device, and Google exploited this exception to install cookies without the permission of the user.

Google halted this practice in 2012 after it was reported by The Wall Street Journal, but consumers and regulators pursued the case through several investigations and lawsuits. The company was fined $22.5 million by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission for this privacy violation and paid a $17 million settlement in a case filed on behalf of Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia.

Article Link: UK Court Allows Activists to Sue Google Over Safari Tracking
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Lionel Messi
macrumors member

Google's going down!
Lionel Messi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Good. Next up, everybody else who thinks its a good idea to take personal information without permission ...*COUGH*... NSA.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:43 AM   #4
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502a

I'm all for privacy, but where does this cash go?

Quote:
The company was fined $22.5 million by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission for this privacy violation and paid a $17 million settlement in a case filed on behalf of Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia.
Why are 37 states getting paid because Google screws me?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:55 AM   #5
samcraig
macrumors G5

I admit I have little knowledge on the UK court system.

However - my only question is - what damage occurred and is that an important metric to prove in order to win a case.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:21 PM   #6
B4U
macrumors 6502

Where is our share of the cash when we are the actual victims instead of some of the states and not all of them?

Last edited by B4U; Jan 16, 2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Pathetic android work phone keyboard fails.
B4U is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:49 PM   #7
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Messi View Post
Google's going down!
I'm sure they'll get a stern talking to and some serious finger wagging!
UnfetteredMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:25 PM   #8
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiTheClown View Post
I'm all for privacy, but where does this cash go?

Why are 37 states getting paid because Google screws me?
The idea is that having to pay a fine stops Google from doing it again. So the important thing is Google paying out. Who receives it is secondary.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if Apple has made any changes to Safari to prevent others from exploiting the same approach?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:31 PM   #10
B4U
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
The idea is that having to pay a fine stops Google from doing it again. So the important thing is Google paying out. Who receives it is secondary.
By this logic, the company that killed someone by a poor product only need to pay the government and the actual victim is only secondary? Him...don't know if I can agree to that.
B4U is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Paying a fine of $22.5 million means nothing to a company like Google, like paying $10 to the average person. There is nothing about the amount that would deter them from doing something like that again. It is ironic that Google got rid of their motto "Don't be evil". Didn't Google also once use the motto "Do no harm"? My how times have changed.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:01 PM   #12
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Blah blah blah Sue Google blah blah

A good day today.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:17 PM   #13
eastercat
macrumors 68040

At least we can sue Google, unlike the NSA.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Mangus View Post
Paying a fine of $22.5 million means nothing to a company like Google, like paying $10 to the average person. There is nothing about the amount that would deter them from doing something like that again. It is ironic that Google got rid of their motto "Don't be evil". Didn't Google also once use the motto "Do no harm"? My how times have changed.
Have they ever lived to any of these mottos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Ironically enough, AFAIK your 4th amendment was included so citizens would have a safeguard against power abuse by their government. Times change.
Cubytus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:40 PM   #15
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

However - my only question is - what damage occurred and is that an important metric to prove in order to win a case.
The damage that I can see is the violation of privacy, knowingly as they assured the customers otherwise. While some predictably might find that fact unimportant or irrelevant, others take it very serious and imho it does say something about a company's ethic. It will be interesting to see how the court will handle this.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:49 PM   #16
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
The damage that I can see is the violation of privacy, knowingly as they assured the customers otherwise. While some predictably might find that fact unimportant or irrelevant, others take it very serious and imho it does say something about a company's ethic. It will be interesting to see how the court will handle this.
No argument.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:08 PM   #17
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

<deleted>
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:09 PM   #18
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes I have and do.
Not sure to get you…
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:10 PM   #19
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
Not sure to get you…
I misread your post. That is why I deleted it after I realized that.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:13 PM   #20
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I misread your post. That is why I deleted it after I realized that.
Oh, ok.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:36 PM   #21
Mac.Pro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I can't see how there could be damage done unless there's a law dictating it or there's an argument that Google causes other problems like business losses in some odd situations, but it makes sense for the States to collect fines for spying.

But… I don't care if a bunch of extra costs are pinned on Google.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Alright, enough copying and pasting this on every article about Google. That's like complaining that the cops get to use cell phones in their cars and run red lights while on duty.
Mac.Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:59 PM   #22
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.Pro View Post
Alright, enough copying and pasting this on every article about Google. That's like complaining that the cops get to use cell phones in their cars and run red lights while on duty.
NSA duties do not include mass-spying of each and every non-US-citizen data that transit on US soil. They are greatly overstepping their duties and in other times, the agency would have been dissolved and its key people sued and imprisoned.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:29 PM   #23
Mac.Pro
Banned

Quote:
NSA duties do not include mass-spying of each and every non-US-citizen data that transit on US soil.
"The NSA is tasked with the global monitoring, collection, decoding, translation and analysis of information and data for foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes, including surveillance of targeted individuals on U.S. soil."

Sounds like it's their job.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:43 PM   #24
Cubytus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.Pro View Post
"The NSA is tasked with the global monitoring, collection, decoding, translation and analysis of information and data for foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes, including surveillance of targeted individuals on U.S. soil."

Sounds like it's their job.
Why would every netizen be targeted? Everyone is guilty, until proven innocent. Sounds like paranoia to me.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:19 PM   #25
Mac.Pro
Banned

Quote:
Why would every netizen be targeted? Everyone is guilty, until proven innocent. Sounds like paranoia to me.
Do you know that every citizen is targeted? There's no proof. I seriously doubt it, considering that at least one person would be needed to track and analyze all the data that one person sends. Perhaps some data from everyone is collected but not looked at unless needed. And anyway, why would you care about that? Ironic that you mention paranoia… we're talking terrorist plots vs. your sense of perfect and complete privacy.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion