Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced several updates to its Creative Cloud suite of apps, including a significant upgrade to Photoshop with the addition of support for 3D printing.

photoshop_3d_printing.jpg
With today's release of Photoshop CC, designs can be printed to a locally connected 3D printer or via built-in access to popular online 3D print services. Photoshop CC supports the most popular desktop 3D printers, such as the MakerBot Replicator, and also supports the full range of high quality materials available on Shapeways -- the 3D printing community and marketplace -- including ceramics, metals, and full color sandstone. Additionally, Photoshop users can now directly upload their 3D models to the Sketchfab 3D publishing service, and embed them in their Behance profile using Sketchfab's interactive 3D viewer.
Other new additions for Photoshop CC include Perspective Warp and Linked Smart Objects.

Adobe's enhancements to Photoshop CC come as part of a broader Creative Cloud update that sees several other applications receiving upgrades including:

- Illustrator CC: Live Corners, a more intuitive Pencil tool with Path Segment reshaping, and SVG export.

- Indesign CC: EPUB 3.0 support and simplified hyperlink creation and management.

Adobe's Creative Cloud is a subscription service with a variety of plans offering users access to the applications historically made available through the company's flagship Creative Suite bundles. Creative Cloud offers enhanced cloud-based services and mobile integration, with the company deploying regular feature updates to subscribers at a more rapid pace than seen with the traditional standalone software purchase system.

Article Link: Adobe Creative Cloud Adds 3D Printing in Photoshop, Enhancements for Other Apps

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Man, if only Adobe hadn't gone to subscriptions :(

Being stuck at CS6 for a long time doesn't seem appealing, but at least it does everything I'll need. 3D printing will have to be through something else.

I'm guessing Bender or another 3D modeling program would automatically be able to output 3D printer ready models?

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Honestly, I am not a fan of the subscription based model (but it does have benefits). But if Adobe keeps adding significant features like this along the way, I see greater value in their change.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Still holding off until NAB 2014 before I make a "final" decision on the CS6 to CC upgrade. I have hope that there may be an updated bundle offering at some point down the road, maybe 2 "versions" behind the CC offering. I can likely wait until NAB before the new features are truly needed for my workflow, but with features like this being released "when available", it's looking like I'll be on CC... and that's what they're banking on. If they updated their video apps to take advantage of the new MacPro GPU's then that might enough for me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Feels to me like interesting but gimmicky bloat--some of which may lead somewhere useful to lots of people (or more likely, just a few). That's fine--even innovative. But...

How about a less chaotic, more consistent UI?

How about some long-standing bugs fixed?

How about improvements to core tools that have languished for years?

How about broad OpenCL support?

And failing that, how about letting us CHOOSE whether the latest features are worth paying for or not? Someone may love these latest additions; another person may have no use for them.

But instead, we HAVE to pay, every month, or get out of the business.

We pay if bugs get fixed... or if they don't.

We pay if new features are numerous and useful and work well... or if they're little gimmicks that sound better on paper.

We pay if old features we need are removed... or if they stay.

We pay if we need ALL the included apps... or just a few.

We pay if the particular apps we need get Adobe's full attention... or have become high-rent abandonware.

We pay, primarily, for full file format compatibility with OTHER people who are paying. That, for me, is 99% of why I pay my monthly bill. I don't NEED these features. It's just "pay to play."

And we pay to keep using our own creative work, that our own sweat went into. My CS3 Photoshop and Illustrator work is still usable without paying. My CS6/CC work? Gone (or sort-of importable into something else) the moment I stop paying.

I care about my creative work, so that matters.

Meanwhile, whenever I'm using my older Mac running CS3, I am still perfectly productive. WAY too little has improved in those many years to justify my monthly bill.

Please, Adobe, keep the 3D printing buzzwords, and start making great, watertight software of the kind that made me so loyal years ago. Then MAYBE I'll be willing to pay you constantly, forever, for upgrades I don't want or need!

(And for those who say it's always OK to gouge professionals, because professionals always have it easy... I disagree. A small gouge or a big one is still a gouge.)

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
We pay if bugs get fixed... or if they don't.

We pay if new features are numerous and useful and work well... or if they're little gimmicks that sound better on paper.

We pay if old features we need are removed... or if they stay.

We pay if we need ALL the included apps... or just a few.

We pay if the particular apps we need get Adobe's full attention... or have become high-rent abandonware.

We pay, primarily, for full file format compatibility with OTHER people who are paying. That, for me, is 99% of why I pay my monthly bill. I don't NEED these features. It's just "pay to play."

Agree on almost all points. In some respects it feels more like insurance (pay for everything so the subsidized cost is spread around.)

Only problem is, there's no legitimate competition to put a cap on just how much profit they can wring out of their users. :eek:

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I held out for a very long time. Honestly the only 2 apps I use are photoshop and illustrator. Their single app plan price($20 each) is actually pretty lame when the full price for everything is $49.99. Paying for the entire suite for 2 apps is pretty ridiculous. I do however really love all the updates.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Still not going to subscribe to software.

Not ever.

Especially irritating to find that Photoshop CS6 is slow and buggy. I've worked with Photoshop since version 4 and the performance has never been bad until CS6.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
No way I will ever go subscription either. VERY POOR CHOICE ADOBE!

In the business world, we only get a few chances a year to get dept upgrades for software. That moment is usually when companies have made the funds for such a thing. No way I can get corporate to pay a subscription for software!! Better to buy at the moment I can than dealing with an ongoing PO.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I held out for a very long time. Honestly the only 2 apps I use are photoshop and illustrator. Their single app plan price($20 each) is actually pretty lame when the full price for everything is $49.99. Paying for the entire suite for 2 apps is pretty ridiculous. I do however really love all the updates.

I agree. $20 for one app... $40 for two apps... or $50 for 37 apps.

There needs to be some middle ground there.

I primarily use Photoshop and Premiere Pro. I wish they had a $35 subscription package like the old suites: Production Premium, Design Premium, etc.

Instead... I'm paying $50 a month for what is basically the old Master Collection. Every Adobe app.

There are times I need to open an Illustrator file someone sends me... or edit a PDF with Acrobat. So it's not a total waste.

I don't have a problem with paying a subscription... and I love the updates. I just wish there was a cheaper tier.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Man, if only Adobe hadn't gone to subscriptions :(

Yeah, someone really needs to step up to provide competition for Photoshop. (And no, Pixelmator doesn't count) Illustrator too. The FTC should've never let Macromedia and Adobe merge, but I guess they were too small-fry to take notice. And yet, Macromedia was Adobe's only competition in the marketplace, so now Adobe can force professionals to rent their software and none of us have viable alternatives. Well, except for those of us who are just sticking with CS6 for now.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Subscription based software has a few benefits:

1) Lower cost of entry to using the software
2) Spreading payments over each month or year
3) Getting updates without having to pay an 'upgrade' fee.

However, those who paid several hundred or thousand for the last retail version and having to pay the same rate as a newcomer is crazy.

The person switching to a subscription model should pay a reduced fee for the first 12 months.

Eg. If I just bought Office 2013 and now asked to pay monthly for the same office 2013 software to be on a subscription package why would I be enticed? I can get free security and software updates for my 2013 until its no longer supported. So until the next office comes out, I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription model.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
However, those who paid several hundred or thousand for the last retail version and having to pay the same rate as a newcomer is crazy.

Existing CS3–CS6 users get to sign up for $30/month for the first year.

That's a little better, in my opinion.

Mac.Pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Too bad it's Creative Cloud. Seriously, all we want is to have Photoshop.app on the hard drive. It's even more ridiculous than TextEdit badgering me about using iCloud to save asdfasdfasd.txt in the "cloud". Also, I've noticed that CS3 takes about 1/10th the resources of CS6 and does pretty much the same thing.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Too bad it's Creative Cloud. Seriously, all we want is to have Photoshop.app on the hard drive. It's even more ridiculous than TextEdit badgering me about using iCloud to save asdfasdfasd.txt in the "cloud". Also, I've noticed that CS3 takes about 1/10th the resources of CS6 and does pretty much the same thing.

No one is forcing you to use CS6 or CC for that sake. You are more than welcome to buy a CS3 license and install it. If it's that big a problem, and you just said they do the same thing right? just use CS3 and stop complaining.

Mac.Pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
No one is forcing you to use CS6 or CC for that sake. You are more than welcome to buy a CS3 license and install it. If it's that big a problem, and you just said they do the same thing right? just use CS3 and stop complaining.

No one is forcing you to reply to me. Why don't you just not reply and not complain? Sorry to sound rude, but I'm just using that to point something out.

Answering your question, I wish they'd actually improve Photoshop so I wouldn't have to be stuck at CS3. I'd like to upgrade in the future, but it doesn't look like there will be any progress without much greater negative side-effects. The 3D printing in CC is cool, but the "cloud" and multiplied resource usage are not.

Last edited:

Mac.Pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Eg. If I just bought Office 2013 and now asked to pay monthly for the same office 2013 software to be on a subscription package why would I be enticed? I can get free security and software updates for my 2013 until its no longer supported. So until the next office comes out, I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription model.

Or just find Office 2008 on the ground and install it like I did. It's a word processor. Really, they've only made it worse if anything in the newer versions.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
No one is forcing you to reply to me. Why don't you just not reply and not complain? Sorry to sound rude, but I'm just using that to point something out.

Answering your question, I wish they'd actually improve Photoshop so I wouldn't have to be stuck at CS3. I'd like to upgrade in the future, but it doesn't look like there will be any progress without much greater negative side-effects. The 3D printing in CC is cool, but the "cloud" and multiplied resource usage are not.

The cloud side of things are actually great if you don't get all high on your "i want to own my software" horse and follow the norm these days. It will only get "worse" for you if you reject it so much, other companies like Autodesk is rolling out the exact same system very soon. CC has a lot of improvement over CS3, question is just if you personally use any of them. But saying there is nothing new and no reason to upgrade is ignorant.

Being a freelancer working in the 3d / motion graphics industry the creative cloud pricing adobe has done is the best thing in years! No need to pirate everything anymore, since its actually affordable and constantly updated.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Always nice to see Adobe abandon those of us that don't want to buy into their pay to play program. I'll stick with my fully purchased CS6 Photoshop until another company catches up and then jump over. Perhaps Pixelmator or GIMP (or even Corel) will become a contender in 2015 and also be predisposed to 3rd party filter add ons like NIK and OnOne.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.