Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Big Retailers Begin Rolling Out iBeacon Trials

As Apple rolls out its iBeacon technology across its Retail Stores and investigates using it to enable mobile payments, a number of large retailers are testing the technology in their establishments.

Today, Shopkick announced it would be starting an iBeacon trial at 100 American Eagle stores in the U.S. This follows announcement earlier this month that InMarket would introduce iBeacons to more than 200 Safeway and Giant Eagle grocery stores in a number of markets across the country.

Quote:
As shoppers enter an American Eagle Outfitters store, shopBeacon will welcome and show them location-specific rewards, deals, discounts and product recommendations - without them even having to remember to open the app. It can also tie at-home browsing behavior to in-store benefits; if the customer "likes" a specific product online, if they so choose, shopBeacon can remind them where in the American Eagle Outfitters store that product is sold. Even better, in the future, it can also deliver department-specific offers throughout the store - so must-have skinnies show up at the most useful time: in the jeans department.
Companies introducing iBeacons seem to understand the appeal of the devices, but it remains to be seen how consumers will respond and if they will download apps for individual stores -- a necessity for the iBeacons to have any effect. Shopkick previously performed a retail trial of iBeacons in two Macy's locations.

If the larger American Eagle trial is successful, Shopkick could introduce the technology to its other retail partners including Best Buy, Crate & Barrel, JCPenney, Old Navy, Sports Authority, Target and more.

Article Link: Big Retailers Begin Rolling Out iBeacon Trials
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Unless one app for every store comes along, I hardly think this will catch on. Better yet, make it an OS level feature you can turn on or off.
Ballis is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:57 PM   #3
clukas
macrumors 6502a

I think iBeacons have a future in navigation maybe more than retail only. Im sure well be seeing iBeacons coming up at places such as airports, helping guide users to to their gates. I think too much emphasis is being places on retail, well be seeing this technology come up in many creative ways.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:00 PM   #4
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
That's just what I want a bunch of alerts popping up when I walk through stores.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:00 PM   #5
chrisyab
macrumors newbie

The beginning of the end for paper based money...
chrisyab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:10 PM   #6
DanielSw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyab View Post
The beginning of the end for paper based money...
That began long ago. So what? Paper money is more convenient than precious metals. Electronic transactions are more convenient than paper money.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUSem1noles View Post
That's just what I want a bunch of alerts popping up when I walk through stores.
Then don't install the apps. Simple.
DanielSw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:11 PM   #7
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis View Post
Unless one app for every store comes along, I hardly think this will catch on. Better yet, make it an OS level feature you can turn on or off.
You would have to download an app for every store. With the 16GB on space on an iPhone, that will take up too much room and people will just delete the apps.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:18 PM   #8
LagunaSol
Banned

One-app-per-store is silly. Apple will need a single, centralized app where stores can create their own customized view when the customer enters the store. Otherwise this will probably flop.
LagunaSol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
You would have to download an app for every store. With the 16GB on space on an iPhone, that will take up too much room and people will just delete the apps.

Implying these apps cant be a few mb each.

Implying you cant make a folder and throw them all in.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
One-app-per-store is silly. Apple will need a single, centralized app where stores can create their own customized view when the customer enters the store. Otherwise this will probably flop.
Apple could do something like they do with Passbook, add iBeacon cards for the retailers you care about.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:29 PM   #11
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Mangus View Post
Apple could do something like they do with Passbook, add iBeacon cards for the retailers you care about.
Absolutely.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:29 PM   #12
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I went to an Apple store to see it in action with their store app and it didn't do anything.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:35 PM   #13
dwsolberg
macrumors 6502

One trouble with Apple's iBeacon technology is that it currently takes up to four minutes to find a beacon that you're next to. Therefore, in many cases, walking by a store isn't going to activate the beacon. In addition, the beacons are not that accurate, so it's difficult to tell which department you're in. Combined with the long interval between updates, the most you can really hope for is that you get an update for some department you're close to within four minutes of walking into a store. It's difficult to understand how that's going to be useful to shoppers.
dwsolberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:43 PM   #14
iSee
macrumors 68030

So many stories about iBeacons.
I'm not that excited to have intrusive shopping apps.

I mean, I can see how something like this could be used to make shopping better, of course, but I suspect it will mainly be used to try to push me into additional/extra purchases.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:45 PM   #15
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
So many stories about iBeacons.
I'm not that excited to have intrusive shopping apps.

I mean, I can see how something like this could be used to make shopping better, of course, but I suspect it will mainly be used to try to push me into additional/extra purchases.
Personally what I would like to see is something that can guide me to what I'm looking for in a store, rather than having to hunt down an employee for directions, which can be an arduous task. Home Depot, I'm looking at you.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Or just delete one mediocre game.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:07 PM   #17
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Personally what I would like to see is something that can guide me to what I'm looking for in a store, rather than having to hunt down an employee for directions, which can be an arduous task. Home Depot, I'm looking at you.
The Home Depot iPhone app can already do that. It can recognize when you're in a store. You can then enter the item you are looking for in a store-specific menu, and it tells you the shelf number.
Rigby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:16 PM   #18
spyker3292
macrumors 6502a

I really thought that bag was a pile of trash.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker3292 View Post
I really thought that bag was a pile of trash.
ME TOO! Oh my God! cant' stop laughing! I didn't want to say anything... but since you said it..
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Same here. When I shop I don't want to be bothered and only ask for help if I can't find what I am looking for.

If like another poster mentions it takes 4 minutes for iBeacon to get recognized,
forget it.

Not everything in shopping needs a technological solution, although it would be great if the iBeacon tells you: It's cheaper at XYZ store:-)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

where can I download a iBeaconBlocker App

I really don't want more annoying ads
especially walking past shops I'll never go into in the first place

Alumeenium is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:36 PM   #22
grahamwright1
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to grahamwright1 Send a message via Skype™ to grahamwright1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumeenium View Post

Hmm, slide up under iOS 7, click the Bluetooth icon to disable it, reverse these steps when you leave the shopping center :-)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:56 PM   #23
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

It's going to be interesting to see iBeacons evolve.

I think Apple needs to create an app for iBeacons that lists all the participating companies. Then, the user should be able to opt in/out on a retailer by retailer basis right from that app.

Chances are, if I walk into a store, I'm going to walk right past the sign that says "Download our app and use iBeacons today!" because I have to take out my phone, go to the App Store, search for the app, and put in my password (iPhone 5).

All this to get repeat notifications when I walk past the same area of the store multiple times? I don't think so. That's another glaring problem with iBeacons that will need to be addressed.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:29 PM   #24
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsolberg View Post
In addition, the beacons are not that accurate, so it's difficult to tell which department you're in. Combined with the long interval between updates, the most you can really hope for is that you get an update for some department you're close to within four minutes of walking into a store. It's difficult to understand how that's going to be useful to shoppers.
I've tested iBeacon for myself and found it quite accurate to less then a few feet, if that. That was just using a developers version.

Quote:
Therefore, in many cases, walking by a store isn't going to activate the beacon.
The beacon is already active before you even get within range, it also depends on if you have the correct app for the store installed and configured.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:30 PM   #25
RenoGuy
macrumors newbie

I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumeenium View Post

I wonder if Target will have an Ibeacon App!

Those guys in Eastern Europe must be licking their chops!
RenoGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion