Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varatep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Thinking between either the 13" 512ssd or 15" 256ssd and I'm wondering if 256ssd will be enough to bootcamp into win7 and install some windows-only developer tools (mainly visual studio). I'll also be loading os x with developer tools and projects/class notes/etc.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Thinking between either the 13" 512ssd or 15" 256ssd and I'm wondering if 256ssd will be enough to bootcamp into win7 and install some windows-only developer tools (mainly visual studio). I'll also be loading os x with developer tools and projects/class notes/etc.

Apple suggests minimum 20gb for a bootcamp installation, however that seems very small when you are talking about windows, if you do a minimum installation and turn off all page files hibernation, I think you can get by. But personally I would never go below 60gb-80gb for a bootcamp installation.

disasterdrone

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2013
Apple suggests minimum 20gb for a bootcamp installation, however that seems very small when you are talking about windows, if you do a minimum installation and turn off all page files hibernation, I think you can get by. But personally I would never go below 60gb-80gb for a bootcamp installation.

Good grief. 20gb is very small. That might be the smallest theoretical size, but I wouldn't count on it.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use Parallels instead of bootcamp and a vm of Win7 with Visual Studio loaded along with other typical stuff takes about 30 to 35 gb. With bootcamp,I would probably want at least 60gb for a partition.

I find virtual machines a lot more flexible than boot camp. Uses less disk space and you can multiple machines configured for different purposes.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I actually have bootcamp on mine for exactly that purpose. I have the 512. My bootcamp was set up for 125GBs. Win7 and the complete visual studio 2012 is the only things loaded on it. There is 77.05 GBs free still. So it is taking a little bit under 50GBs of space for Win7 and VS 2012 package. I would suggest going a bit higher then 50GBs in case you decide to save other stuff there.

varatep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
so it's safe to say that I can get the 15" with 256ssd and not worry about running out of space given that I'd only be using w7 for visual studio or other windows-only dev tools? i'll be packing os x with dev tools / projects as well and thinking about getting a western digital passport for external portable storage... is this a good plan or any other suggestions?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
so it's safe to say that I can get the 15" with 256ssd and not worry about running out of space given that I'd only be using w7 for visual studio or other windows-only dev tools? i'll be packing os x with dev tools / projects as well and thinking about getting a western digital passport for external portable storage... is this a good plan or any other suggestions?

Personally, I don't like external drives for routine storage with a portable. Too much hassle and mess when traveling. You also have two devices to backup properly. I would rather spend the money to get an internal drive that meets my needs. YMMV depending on financial situation.

I keep a bunch of large media files on a NAS and transfer to MBP when needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.