Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Begin iPhone 5c In-Store Screen Replacements Next Week

Apple will begin offering in-store screen replacements or repairs for iPhone 5c displays next week, starting on Monday, January 20, according to 9to5Mac.

Quote:
Apple has begun conducting iPhone 5c screen replacements in a small number of stores in the United States over the past couple of months, but the January 20th rollout will represent a full-scale launch in all of Apple's retail regions aside from Hong Kong and Canada.
Broken displays that aren't covered under AppleCare+ will likely cost $149 per device to replace or repair, while displays that are covered under AppleCare+ are likely to cost $79 per device, similar to the pricing structure Apple employs for broken iPhone 5 displays.

In-store replacements/repairs for iPhone 5s displays are still in Apple's plans and are "coming soon", though are not expected to roll out next week alongside iPhone 5c replacements/repairs. The moves are part of Apple's larger shift to lower repair costs.

Article Link: Apple to Begin iPhone 5c In-Store Screen Replacements Next Week
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:10 PM   #2
proline
macrumors 6502

Seems like good news for the customers, but this is MacRumors so I'm sure people will spin this into something bad. Maybe whine about the cost?
proline is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:12 PM   #3
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

Good for iPhone 5c customers that don't want the hassle of having to restore all of their data to just get the screen replaced.
MonstaMash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:12 PM   #4
goobot
macrumors 601

This has only stared happening to me but sometimes when i tap on my 5S's screen it makes a noise. Right now it isn't but sometimes it's really noticeable, really weird.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:15 PM   #5
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Wait then didn't start doing this in September?
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:20 PM   #6
tjanssen1990
macrumors newbie

Canada

Aww, no love for Canada?

I wonder why only Canada and Hong Kong were left out (Assuming I read the article correctly)
tjanssen1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors G3

According to the media nobody is buying the 5C. Why would they need this?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:23 PM   #8
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Sweet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	456806  
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:29 PM   #9
OregonSasquatch
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
This has only stared happening to me but sometimes when i tap on my 5S's screen it makes a noise. Right now it isn't but sometimes it's really noticeable, really weird.
My first iPhone 5 did this and they replaced it in the store. The genius guy said that sometimes the screens delaminate.
OregonSasquatch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Mac.Pro
Banned

I was glad to hear that they provide free iPhone 5 replacements for those with dust underneath the camera lens, which includes me.
Mac.Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:44 PM   #11
japanime
macrumors 65816

Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:04 PM   #12
B-Roll
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSasquatch View Post
My first iPhone 5 did this and they replaced it in the store. The genius guy said that sometimes the screens delaminate.
That guy pulled that from his ass.
B-Roll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:27 PM   #13
macbookfan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post

That guy pulled that from his ass. ^
macbookfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:30 PM   #14
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
According to the media nobody is buying the 5C. Why would they need this?
What media are you looking at?

Edit: Unless that was sarcasm I didn't pick up.
dannyyankou is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Jett0516
macrumors 6502a

So if you bought applecare+ for $99 you still need to pay $79?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:01 PM   #16
Ozid
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Not likely. When screens are attached with glue to the glass, they can occasionally separate. For example, if push abnormally hard on it regularly and you live in an area that gets very warm or you let your phone get very warm, this can happen.

You see this often with Otterboxes (and similar) because the sensitivity is lessened with the overlay and the phone heats up more than usual while in the sealed case.
Ozid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:48 PM   #17
simonappheros
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Oh thats really funny.
simonappheros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:52 AM   #18
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett0516 View Post
Indeed ridiculous. Luckily I can bring my phone to several shops that fix this for ~40.
RoelJuun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:52 AM   #19
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Which means in total you end up paying more with applecare than without. I'm laughing at how apple rips people off and gets away with it.
Marrakas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:04 AM   #20
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakas View Post
Which means in total you end up paying more with applecare than without. I'm laughing at how apple rips people off and gets away with it.
This. It use to be $99 and then a $49 deductible and they would give you a new phone! Now they want $99 and $79 and they replace the screen. What the hell is the point of the insurance?!?! If I had insurance and dropped my phone, I would be sure to dunk it in the toilet so they would give me a new phone as well.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:52 AM   #21
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrand7 View Post
Sweet
Apparently, there are people on this planet who have no regard for ensuring that their electronics are protected from mayhem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
This. It use to be $99 and then a $49 deductible and they would give you a new phone! Now they want $99 and $79 and they replace the screen. What the hell is the point of the insurance?!?! If I had insurance and dropped my phone, I would be sure to dunk it in the toilet so they would give me a new phone as well.
Why would you make your phone unusable and unrepairable? Entitled?

The images that accompany this article make it appear the actual display and not the protective glass has problems. THAT is a quality control problem.
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:54 AM   #22
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
Apparently, there are people on this planet who have no regard for ensuring that their electronics are protected from mayhem.

Why would you make your phone unusable and unrepairable? Entitled?

The images that accompany this article make it appear the actual display and not the protective glass has problems. THAT is a quality control problem.
I'm just saying they use to give you a new phone instead of repairs. If the deductible is the same and you have cosmetic damage, why not dunk it and get a new phone.

I wonder if people who bought apple care before the policy change get a new phone. I was told if I dropped my phone and the screen broke for $49 I would get a new phone.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:14 AM   #23
NightFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
And that's exactly why I would be happier having my screen repaired in store, rather than have it replaced with a "new" white-box one that could well be your broken and dunked-in-the-toilet-just-to-be-sure that's since been refurbished by Apple.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:16 AM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
And that's exactly why I would be happier having my screen repaired in store, rather than have it replaced with a "new" white-box one that could well be your broken and dunked-in-the-toilet-just-to-be-sure that's since been refurbished by Apple.
I have never had an issue with anything refurbished from apple. Plus they come with the same warranty. I do understand your point though.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:26 AM   #25
Ms6boost
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
That's not how Apple's replacement program works.
Ms6boost is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion