Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
London
So my Mac Pro is on order and i now need to get a monitor. Ive shortlisted three:

Dell U2713HM
LG27EA83-D
AsusPA279Q

Just wondered if anyone had feedback on using one of these (in particular the Dell as it offers the best price) with the nMP.

They all have Displayport connections so would the best way forward be a TB2 to Displayport cable (as you can tell ive not bough a monitor for over 10 years - just when DVI kicked in!)

Thanks

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
The Dell U2713HM works fine, get mini displayport to displayport cable and you are all set.

mrsavage1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
So my Mac Pro is on order and i now need to get a monitor. Ive shortlisted three:

Dell U2713HM
LG27EA83-D
AsusPA279Q

Just wondered if anyone had feedback on using one of these (in particular the Dell as it offers the best price) with the nMP.

They all have Displayport connections so would the best way forward be a TB2 to Displayport cable (as you can tell ive not bough a monitor for over 10 years - just when DVI kicked in!)

Thanks

get a viewsonic vp2770 instead the dell's have a lot of issues like cross hatching. I have 2 vp2770s great monitors.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It's probably out of your budget but the Dell's bigger brother the U2713H is the one to get. Can be got for a very good price if you hunt around here in the UK anyway.

razer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
London
Thanks all! Up till now i had read the H and the HM the other way round in terms of quality and reviews.

Given that thissetup will be used for Lightroom and Photoshop the H does actually seem the better option.

Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Thanks all! Up till now i had read the H and the HM the other way round in terms of quality and reviews.

Given that thissetup will be used for Lightroom and Photoshop the H does actually seem the better option.

It certainly is - make sure it has the latest firmware which is 03. If you are even slightly disappointed do not hesitate to call Dell to get it exchanged, first class warranty support for 3 years.

razer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
London
It certainly is - make sure it has the latest firmware which is 03. If you are even slightly disappointed do not hesitate to call Dell to get it exchanged, first class warranty support for 3 years.

Ive just found a Dell partner (NRG.it) that sell refurbished ones (1yr warranty RTB) for very good prices. Dropped them a line to find out more.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
It's probably out of your budget but the Dell's bigger brother the U2713H is the one to get. Can be got for a very good price if you hunt around here in the UK anyway.

Yeah, I have that one on my shortlist as well. However, I've seen a lot of reviewers complain about the overshoot.

Others that I'm investigating:
- Eizo EV2736W (just one review, in German, but it was positive)
- NEC MultiSync EA274WMi (released late November, no reviews yet)
- Apple Thunderbolt Display

So far, I'm leaning towards the Apple Display as its reviews are most consistently positive.

razer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
London
Only problem with the apple is that its likely to be replaced soon which is ahy i discounted it (well that and the price)

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
Heart of Mordor
Yeah, I have that one on my shortlist as well. However, I've seen a lot of reviewers complain about the overshoot.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Apple Display as its reviews are most consistently positive.

TB display is good, using it for second year now. No issues, colors are good.

In this price range you might consider checking out Lenovo LT3053p, plan to get it myself if no good affordable 4K displays come this years.

----------

Only problem with the apple is that its likely to be replaced soon which is ahy i discounted it (well that and the price)

True that. TB display is long overdue for a refresh.

Still it is a very good 27" non-4K display with camera/mic/ports done via single cable.

And MacBook charger of course (need adapter for new MBs :( ).

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013

The thing with displays though is that it is one of the few technology product categories where this year's model rarely is better than last year's model in all regards.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
TB display is good, using it for second year now. No issues, colors are good.

In this price range you might consider checking out Lenovo LT3053p, plan to get it myself if no good affordable 4K displays come this years.

Thanks, that one looks very nice! Choices, choices... And I have to make up my mind fast, finally see that my nMP is preparing for shipment. :)

I ordered it (CTO) around 7:45am Eastern on 12/19. I didn't get an email on the status change. With Apple's poor communication I have been habitually checking the order status page every hour or so for the past few weeks.

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
Heart of Mordor
And I have to make up my mind fast, finally see that my nMP is preparing for shipment. :)

I ordered it (CTO) around 7:45am Eastern on 12/19. I didn't get an email on the status change. With Apple's poor communication I have been habitually checking the order status page every hour or so for the past few weeks.

Get a TB Display then, it's as good as 27" Mac-oriented displays get. And considering built-in camera and mic and TB/USB/FW ports it's a no-brainer.

P.S. I hate you, me being in "processing" status. :)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
The thing with displays though is that it is one of the few technology product categories where this year's model rarely is better than last year's model in all regards.

Give me a Matte Anti-glare option and I would get one. Instead I'm leaning towards a Dell, or possibly that $799 Asus 4K monitor.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Get a TB Display then, it's as good as 27" Mac-oriented displays get. And considering built-in camera and mic and TB/USB/FW ports it's a no-brainer.

P.S. I hate you, me being in "processing" status. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. Just wanted to let people know that the fact they haven't heard anything from Apple doesn't necessarily mean the status of their order didn't change.

Though I assume that once the thing does ship, Apple will send out a notification.

But yeah, I think I'll go with the TB Display.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
What about the Planar PXL2790MW? Someone mentioned it over in the peripherals forum and think it is the only fused display besides the iMac.

Bad Leopard

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2014

Dell U2713HM
LG27EA83-D
AsusPA279Q

Thanks

Yes, I ordered and am using two of the AsusPA279Q's with my rMBP via the Thunderbolt ports right now, and am really liking them so far. I ordered them at the same time I ordered a maxed out 6-core nMP, but haven't received it yet.

I was going to go Dell, but man they seem to have a lot of bad reviews lately, so I took a chance on these Asus monitors and so far they are amazing. Oh, and yeah, I also thought about getting a couple of Apple displays but really despise the shiny screens.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, I ordered and am using two of the AsusPA279Q's with my rMBP via the Thunderbolt ports right now, and am really liking them so far. I ordered them at the same time I ordered a maxed out 6-core nMP, but haven't received it yet.

I was going to go Dell, but man they seem to have a lot of bad reviews lately, so I took a chance on these Asus monitors and so far they are amazing. Oh, and yeah, I also thought about getting a couple of Apple displays but really despise the shiny screens.

The Asus looks very good I must say. However, I read a user review on Amazon, saying the 10-bit function isn't compatible with the latest Thunderbolt Macs. Does it work for you?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

The TB/ACD display would be perfect for me if it didn't have its glossy coat. I've tried my hardest to keep one when I've bought them used but I can't. The u2713h I think is the same panel, far uglier but far less shine to its surface!

Bad Leopard

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2014
The Asus looks very good I must say. However, I read a user review on Amazon, saying the 10-bit function isn't compatible with the latest Thunderbolt Macs. Does it work for you?

The only app that I have and would know where to turn this on is Photoshop CC in the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings, and the clickable box for this option is simply not there like it would be in Windows. Unless something has changed in the Mavericks build for the nMP, I would say we are out of luck until Apple decides to support it.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
The only app that I have and would know where to turn this on is Photoshop CC in the Advanced Graphics Processor Settings, and the clickable box for this option is simply not there like it would be in Windows. Unless something has changed in the Mavericks build for the nMP, I would say we are out of luck until Apple decides to support it.

Thanks! Strange that Apple still doesn't support 10bit. Perhaps the nMP will change that. It would seem a bit silly to create 'FirePro' drivers for OSX that don't support it, if the Windows version does. But perhaps it's more complicated than that?

I decided to go for the Asus. The screen should be arriving tomorrow and hopefully the nMP will follow not too long after (scheduled to arrive Wednesday according to UPS). I went for the Asus because of its wide gamut screen, higher refresh rate, ergonomic flexibility, and $800 price tag, as well and smaller things like the fact that I'll be able to connect my Windows work laptop to it, the built-in card reader, USB 3.0 ports and the fact that it is fully black, like the nMP.

I just hope I'll get used to its not-so-pretty frame.

rjbenson83

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
Atlanta
why no mention of the $449 HP ZR2740w 27" LED-Backlit IPS Monitor, it's IPS and wide gamut.

There's also the Viewsonic VP2772 27" Adobe Color Widescreen LED Backlit IPS Monitor for $999. this one is 12-bit color.

FiveEcco

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a connection question for the Dell U2713H.

Is it possible to connect the first Dell Screen with a MiniDisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort Cable (Thunderbolt-Cable) with the nMP and the second one with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort with the first screen?
Can i use the full resolution than and 60Hz?

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Well, I got the Asus PA279Q. It looks much better in real life than on their site. It works great with Windows but haven't figured out yet how to get the sRGB and aRGB modes to work with the nMP/OS X. Both work fine when I connect my work laptop via DisplayPort.

I have tried HDMI and mini DisplayPort-DisplayPort on the nMP but no luck. Also, initially the graphics looked horrible in OS X. Turns out that you have to turn off sharpness enhancement. It didn't cause problems on the Windows side but creates weird artefacts when using OS X.

If anyone has figured out how to use sRGB and aRGB with OS X, let me know.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I got this one from Planar:

http://www.planar.com/products/desktop-touch-screen-monitors/24-inch/pxl2790mw/

It basically looks like a black 27" iMac or TB display. Same screen, same bonding to glass, same panel, same resolution, same everything. It's quite good, and I have it hooked up via a mini display port to display port cable from Gefen. $600 though (though that's a lot cheaper than a grand). Just make sure "overdrive" is off or it'll ghost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.