Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I'm having an issue with sending directions from Maps to my iPhone. Essentially, I have directions between two places on Maps. I share with my iPhone and it sends it to iOS 7 just fine. The problem is, when I slide and iOS starts 'navigating', it's actually not turn by turn. It just shows the directions, zooms in on my location, but doesn't start to speak the directions at all. I have to search for the address again and then it will start navigating, turn by turn, with voice, properly.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Are you using a Mac Pro (or other Mac) without WiFi built in?

You can just send the ending destination and then let the iDevice map the directions and then start navigation.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Are you using a Mac Pro (or other Mac) without WiFi built in?

You can just send the ending destination and then let the iDevice map the directions and then start navigation.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm using! I thought it would still be able to give driving directions, since it has the start and end point and I'm on my phone and would need driving directions. I'll use your method of just sending the end directions.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes, that's exactly what I'm using! I thought it would still be able to give driving directions, since it has the start and end point and I'm on my phone and would need driving directions. I'll use your method of just sending the end directions.

When I send directions to my iphone from my Macbook I just have to click start and the navigation beings. Is yours coming over as line by line directions?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Has anyone else noticed this?

No, I just tested it now and I get turn by turn. Am using beta 3 though - so perhaps it's a bug fixed?

I did notice that the night mode is looking really glitched in beta 3, but that's another story.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

You must have a WiFi enabled Mac (and not a WiFi router with a Mac connected) to do this. If the location arrow is grayed out in OS X Maps then you can't send directions. Don't ask me why (or why Maps can't determine your location) but this is the way Apple rolls (maybe to encourage you to buy a new Mac since they all have WiFi now).

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
No, I just tested it now and I get turn by turn. Am using beta 3 though - so perhaps it's a bug fixed?

I did notice that the night mode is looking really glitched in beta 3, but that's another story.

Are you on a Mac Pro or other WiFi enabled system? It seems like you need a WiFi enabled computer to have it work.

----------

I'll test it once the new version is released, but for now, on my Mac Pro, it doesn't work. I'll try sending it on my laptop and see what happens.

----------

You must have a WiFi enabled Mac (and not a WiFi router with a Mac connected) to do this. If the location arrow is grayed out in OS X Maps then you can't send directions. Don't ask me why (or why Maps can't determine your location) but this is the way Apple rolls (maybe to encourage you to buy a new Mac since they all have WiFi now).

That seems to be the case. Very odd. I wonder why this doesn't work, especially if I tell them exactly where I am.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Are you on a Mac Pro or other WiFi enabled system? It seems like you need a WiFi enabled computer to have it work.

----------

I'll test it once the new version is released, but for now, on my Mac Pro, it doesn't work. I'll try sending it on my laptop and see what happens.

Yeah, a MacBook Air with wifi.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...That seems to be the case. Very odd. I wonder why this doesn't work, especially if I tell them exactly where I am.

Not sure but we Mac Pro users are out of luck on this one. I'm a Mavericks beta tester and reported this way back but didn't receive any response from Apple. Also not sure why you can't just hit the Location arrow (it's grayed out) since my Mac Pro is connected to a network with WiFi. I agree even without Location service you should be able to manually input your location (after all Mac Pros rarely change locations).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.