Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't trust App Store reviews, so I'm just wondering what others here are thinking of the new iA Writer Pro?

I'm trying to move away from Scrivener since I feel like they're never going to have their iOS app ready with so many setbacks.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I did, and wasn't particularly impressed, so I cancelled the purchase. I've gone for Ulysses III instead, which I quite like so far.

Edited to add: sorry, I thought I was in the mac section, not iPad. I tried out the mac version.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I did, and wasn't particularly impressed, so I cancelled the purchase. I've gone for Ulysses III instead, which I quite like so far.

Edited to add: sorry, I thought I was in the mac section, not iPad. I tried out the mac version.

Hey, I'll take that into consideration too. Do you happen to use Daedalus Touch with it? I have that.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Hey, I'll take that into consideration too. Do you happen to use Daedalus Touch with it? I have that.

Yes, a couple of years ago I used that app a lot. I still have it and will probably use it more now in conjunction with Ulysses. My writing habits have changed a bit over the past year, so I now write less on my iPad and more on my MBA. But from the very little I've used it recently, the sync with Ulysses appears to work well. There are some of the more advanced features in Ulysses that are not available in Daedalus Touch, though, so in that sense not 'everything' will sync. But if you're mostly doing text only, then I haven't had any problems so far.

In terms of the Writer Pro app, I just couldn't see any value added, especially at that price point. The 'modes' didn't do much more in practice than to change the font set, and I wasn't interested in the syntax feature. However, I guess it really depends on what you're after, and the developers have been very open and constructive in terms of the negative feedback they have received - they have personally followed up on every single message in their web site. Here are some more customer reviews - bear in mind though that the first post is a negative review, so comments reflect that:

http://support.iawriter.com/help/di...-problems/14-my-negative-review-of-writer-pro

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

How do you cancel a purchase once you buy?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, I ended up downloading Writer Pro. As I suspected to begin with, a lot of the "issues" with it are more to do with people comparing it to the original iA Writer and its workflow.

Which is really OK because I never used the original anyway.

Plus, they'll address the "issues" soon enough.

After using Scrivener, I don't think I can justify Ulysses at the same price. It does A LOT less. At that rate, I should just stick with Scrivener and suck up the iOS issue as it looks like I'm going to be in the same boat with Daedalus Touch.

I feel like the Writer Pro setup works well so far at the price. It's a little awkward, but I'll make it work. I think this so called new "workflow" will be a lot better than the weird carousel of Daedalus Touch, especially for notes.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
How do you cancel a purchase once you buy?

You need to go to the Purchase History view in the app store. There's more information here

http://www.40tech.com/2011/01/31/how-to-get-a-refund-from-the-ios-or-mac-app-stores/

After using Scrivener, I don't think I can justify Ulysses at the same price. It does A LOT less. At that rate, I should just stick with Scrivener and suck up the iOS issue as it looks like I'm going to be in the same boat with Daedalus Touch.

Your thoughts on Scrivener vs Ulysses make sense. But you know that you can sync Scrivener to you iPad through e.g. Simplenote, right? I think Simplenote is free now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.