Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
So I get pretty decent Internet connection speeds, but the router I was provided by the cable company is pretty shocking for WiFi coverage across the house. My office is in the opposite corner of the house, making the WiFi speeds almost unusable. I do have a Powerline adapter, giving me one ethernet connection in the room, currently being used for the Apple TV.
Does anyone know if it is possible to share the ethernet connection from the ATV (3rd gen) via micro USB to my rMBP which doesn't have an ethernet jack.
I'm just trying to see if it is possible before spending on switches and adapters that would be necessary to connect both devices.
Basically, can I share internet through USB in the same way as an iPhone tethering, but using an Apple TV?
Thanks for the help, Sam.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
I believe the USB port on the back of the Apple TV is for service and diagnostics. I don't know of any way to configure the ATV to share its internet connection either over wifi, ethernet or USB.

You have a couple of options. You could just buy an ethernet switch or you could buy a better wifi router, but either way it sounds like you need more hardware.

EDIT: You may be able to do the opposite of what you suggest without buying additional hardware. That is, plug the ethernet cable into the MBP and use the MBP to create a new wireless network for your ATV to join. This would allow both devices to be online at once.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If moving the router is out of the question a switch/repeater/whatever they are called would be the best bet.

Besides it would help all wifi devices on that end of the house.

Boy I'm glad I don't have to worry about my house being to large for wifi reception! Lol

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Get yourself 2 Verizon Fios Actiontec router(cheap on eBay) And use it as a moca to extend your wireless range. Since these routers are coaxial, they can easily be used. They will allow you to do this via the coaxial already in your home. And is way better than powerline.

These is a lot of info on the web on how to set these up.

I currently have two in my house extending the range of my wifi.

*edit*

Here's the info: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the help guys, does anyone know of a reliable wireless repeater? Preferably with a few ethernet ports as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the help guys, does anyone know of a reliable wireless repeater? Preferably with a few ethernet ports as well.

Good but I haven't had them receive a signal better then other devices. Meaning if you put it in an office with no wifi signal it doesn't work just like the wifi devices in that room.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Good but I haven't had them receive a signal better then other devices. Meaning if you put it in an office with no wifi signal it doesn't work just like the wifi devices in that room.

You can get some that take ethernet input, so wireless strength isn't a problem

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Good lord, just put in a small Ethernet switch. Will cost, like $25.

I've got a 6-port switch behind my TV, and it is full.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
You can get some that take ethernet input, so wireless strength isn't a problem
That would be a wireless access point.

Though really you could buy pretty much any cheap wireless router, disable the router (DHCP, NAT) part of it and plug it into your power line adapter by your AppleTV, that would give you wifi and ethernet ports.

You might want to take a look at the manufacturer for your power line adapters, often there are additional adapters available which combine a wireless access point and one or more ethernet ports. For example I use some Devolo power line adapters two of which have built in WiFi access points and 3 ethernet ports.

You could buy a simple cheap ethernet switch but then you would have to connect the rMBP to it via a cable and you would need to buy an ethernet adapter for the rMBP.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So I get pretty decent Internet connection speeds, but the router I was provided by the cable company is pretty shocking for WiFi coverage across the house. My office is in the opposite corner of the house, making the WiFi speeds almost unusable. I do have a Powerline adapter, giving me one ethernet connection in the room, currently being used for the Apple TV.

4 port Ethernet switch on Amazon.co.uk is less than £10. You plug in your Ethernet cable into the switch, then you have four ports to plug in other devices.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Airport express or extreme will create a much better quality wifi signal just hard wire it into the router you have now.

I have my talktalk router & airport extreme the talktalk router only had two ethernet ports so linked the 2 & everything runs off the airport extreme including a network drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.