Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
ok,still no solid answer.will the airport express work with a wireless modem from westell as a extender without the apple base station?im trying to get the internet to reach out to the back yard deck.or maybe I'm going about this the wrong way,I don't know.but don't want to use any cable.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The AirPort Express does only work with another AirPort module (AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station) if you want to extend a network, in other words, it can only extend a network from another AirPort module, as far as I have seen in documentation and threads.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you go wired, you can extend.
wireless will not work reliably with manufactures other than apple.

if you can't get an ethernet cable from the router to the airport, powerline networking is a viable alternative.

as mentioned wired is the best way to go anyway, with wireless extension, the repeater will cut the speed approximately in half, as it uses half the bandwidth to talk back to the main base, and half to your computer.

also on the page for powerline i saw this from d-link (the DAP-1320).
in a quick look it might do what you want. but do your research.

gpp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
so I guess I need to just buy another extender like the d link ,try it,if it works fine and if not hard wire it.thanks for the help.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You might also look at whether the Westell modem is not up to the job. Some of the modems supplied as residential gateways really stink at wifi. Putting a better router just downstream from it via ethernet, and then using that new router to do the actual routing, especially with a good external antenna, might get your signal to where you want it. Sometimes even moving the signal source a bit can help, as can using a directional rather than omni antenna.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.