Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Hello. I currently have a PS4, which will not be getting Titanfall (the first one at least), and the recent videos of the alpha have me drooling. I see that the PC will be getting it...but I don't have a PC.

However, I do have a MacBook Pro and started to wonder if it would run well on a Bootcamp partition. I don't want to spend $500 just for one game so this seems like a pretty good alternative. I could use my Dualshock 4 and then just simply use an thunderbolt to hdmi cord to connect my computer to my TV, and wallah I could be playing Titanfall.

My MacBook is a mid-2012 model, with 8 GB of ram, and a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. How well do you guys think Titanfall would run on a windows partition and do you guys think it would be worth it?

MPL

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
They haven't announced the minimum specs for the PC version so at this point all we can do is guess. I believe the game uses a modified version of the Source engine so the demanded specs shouldn't be too steep.

Still, if you are found of these games and you have no wish to buy a Xbox you can always buy one of those shiny new Mac Pros...:D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It will probably run fine on low/medium, but if you try to play the PC version with a controller you'll get destroyed online.

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
They haven't announced the minimum specs for the PC version so at this point all we can do is guess. I believe the game uses a modified version of the Source engine so the demanded specs shouldn't be too steep.

Still, if you are found of these games and you have no wish to buy a Xbox you can always buy one of those shiny new Mac Pros...:D

So technically, it should work?

It will probably run fine on low/medium, but if you try to play the PC version with a controller you'll get destroyed online.

Why do you say that?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Probably but we won't know for sure til the requirements are released. The game will probably scale well, though, due to source and the 360 version.

Why do you say that?

Because a KB+M is much more precise. But don't just listen to me; try your dualshock out for yourself in TF2 or something.

MPL

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
You should be able to play it in minimum to medium settings, yes, but it's not a certainty.

Why do you say that?
The game will likely be optimized for keyboard and mouse controls. The controller is a fine option in a PvP game if everybody is using one (like on Xbox Live) but it will place you in a very disadvantageous position since the controller isn't as precise.

edit: Cougarcat answered while I was typing

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Yeah that does make sense. Maybe I should just buy it for my 360 then....

Does everyone really use a keyboard and mouse to play FPS? I've never tried that before but I'd imagine it'd be fairly difficult.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Hello. I currently have a PS4, which will not be getting Titanfall (the first one at least), and the recent videos of the alpha have me drooling. I see that the PC will be getting it...but I don't have a PC.

However, I do have a MacBook Pro and started to wonder if it would run well on a Bootcamp partition. I don't want to spend $500 just for one game so this seems like a pretty good alternative. I could use my Dualshock 4 and then just simply use an thunderbolt to hdmi cord to connect my computer to my TV, and wallah I could be playing Titanfall.

My MacBook is a mid-2012 model, with 8 GB of ram, and a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. How well do you guys think Titanfall would run on a windows partition and do you guys think it would be worth it?

Titanfall is based on a decade old game engine (Source). You'll have no problems running it under Windows.

-SC

urbanman2004

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2013

Keep dreaming, no offense... bootcamping is Virtualization which won't hold up for a game such as Titanfall. You would be better off getting a PC to play the game to save yourself the grief, ijs.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Keep dreaming, no offense... bootcamping is Virtualization which won't hold up for a game such as Titanfall. You would be better off getting a PC to play the game to save yourself the grief, ijs.

Actually, BootCamp is native Windows running on Mac hardware. It runs at full speed. Apple even provides native Windows drivers for any Mac-specific hardware.

Parallels and Fusion are virtualization.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON

Why don not you get an Xbox one ?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah that does make sense. Maybe I should just buy it for my 360 then....

Does everyone really use a keyboard and mouse to play FPS? I've never tried that before but I'd imagine it'd be fairly difficult.

No not everyone, I find there is a lot of elitist snobbery over keyboard and mouse users.

On a PC and online, yes. It's actually much, much easier.

For you.....

For others like myself find a game controller far more intuitive than keyboard and mouse, despite having been gaming hardcore for the last 30 years.....

If you simply are not comfortable using a keyboard and mouse then you will likely will be "destroyed" far worse online than you would using a controller you are at least comfortable with. However the game is supposed to tailor your online sessions with players of near equal levels of experience so you should in theory not face the vicious wipeouts that some online games suffer from...

----------

Possible, either way he needs to spend something to play this game. My recommendation would be to him, to switch from PS4 to Xbox One. As long as he'll be cool with that. He can still get an Xbox 360 though, probably less than 200 bucks ?

So he can enjoy all those beautiful 1080p games on PS4 in 720p on the One ;) j/k

Chances are if he switched he likely would have same dilemma when an exclusive game comes out on PS4 that he wants to plays such as Infamous Second Son for example...

If he already has a 360, I'd just buy Titanfall on that first.

----------

You have no idea what boot camping is if you think it's the same as virtualisation.

Last edited:

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Possible, either way he needs to spend something to play this game. My recommendation would be to him, to switch from PS4 to Xbox One. As long as he'll be cool with that. He can still get an Xbox 360 though, probably less than 200 bucks ?

I'm pretty happy with my PS4. Thanks though :)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
For others like myself find a game controller far more intuitive than keyboard and mouse, despite having been gaming hardcore for the last 30 years

Using a controller in a PC game is different to using one on a console. The console game has auto-aim whereas the PC version never does - the reticle is subtly 'magnetized' to the target in console shooters, to compensate for the short travel and large deadzones of the thumbsticks.

I prefer controllers in general, but without auto-aim I'm constantly overshooting the target, then having to swing back and overshoot again.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Using a controller in a PC game is different to using one on a console. The console game has auto-aim whereas the PC version never does - the reticle is subtly 'magnetized' to the target in console shooters, to compensate for the short travel and large deadzones of the thumbsticks.

I prefer controllers in general, but without auto-aim I'm constantly overshooting the target, then having to swing back and overshoot again.

True however many PC FPS games do support some auto - aim when it detects a controller in the menu options.

Bioshock Infinite etc... all do have auto aim options.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
True however many PC FPS games do support some auto - aim when it detects a controller in the menu options.

Bioshock Infinite etc... all do have auto aim options.

Really? I should try that. I haven't seen a multiplayer one that lets you use auto-aim though. Might be a bit unfair, I suppose.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Minimum specs are out so I thought this may be worth revisiting.

Min: 64-bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1
AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
512MB VRAM, Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/04/titanfall-minimum-pc-specs-revealed

Would this run at all on a 2012 Macbook Air thru bootcamp? Low/mid settings? 30 or 60 fps? I have 8GB RAM. 13in model with the Intel i5.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Don't really want to buy an xbox one just for this game alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.