Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supercross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Tampa, FL
Just for curiosities sake, because I dont think it will ever become a problem...but how much memory does album artwork take up? I just got my iPod and have only put about 20 albums on it and when I was browsing the iPod's files under explorer, the artwork folder was about 20MB, so that would figure out to be ~1MB/album for artwork. Is this normal? The album covers I use are usually around 50kb before I put them into iTunes, so 1MB/album seems steep because I dont have many albums with 20 songs.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I would have thought that the album artwork just added the size of the files to the size of the song. I know the artwork gets embedded in the song files on the computer, so artwork is duplicated even if it's all the same for a given album. Of course your observations seem to reveal a different story.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I went through and deleted all my artwork after my 4GB iPod Mini ran out of space. Most of it had been taken from Amazon using a neat little Windows tool to go through and assign art where there were gaps (most of it as it had all been ripped from my own CD collection). 880 tracks equalled about 30MB or thereabouts.

Enough for about another ten tracks - too good to pass up!

:)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Marky_Mark said:
I went through and deleted all my artwork after my 4GB iPod Mini ran out of space. Most of it had been taken from Amazon using a neat little Windows tool to go through and assign art where there were gaps (most of it as it had all been ripped from my own CD collection). 880 tracks equalled about 30MB or thereabouts.

Enough for about another ten tracks - too good to pass up!

:)

Did you go through and delete it manually, or did you find a utility that will delete it automatically? I'm quite confident that there's an AppleScript out there that will delete all your artwork for you, but of course it would only work on the Mac. Of course, I like my artwork, especially now that I have a 5G iPod. An extra 10 songs wouldn't be worth not having artwork to me, but of course, to each his own.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
mduser63 said:
Did you go through and delete it manually, or did you find a utility that will delete it automatically? I'm quite confident that there's an AppleScript out there that will delete all your artwork for you, but of course it would only work on the Mac. Of course, I like my artwork, especially now that I have a 5G iPod. An extra 10 songs wouldn't be worth not having artwork to me, but of course, to each his own.

I can't remember exactly how I did it, I think I did 'select all' on my Library, 'info' and then just deleted the artwork - the change was then applied to all the tracks. I didn't use a script or an app to do it.

I agree with your point about artwork, I like it too and since then I've gone through and regained it all. At the time though, space was at a premium and I didn't have a 'pod that could display art, so song space was the more useful option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.