Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smelvis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
Hi there - first post!

I just replaced an old mac with new macbook.
My wife uses her work mac for personal stuff, so we want to import her personal stuff to the new one.

Not sure if we need 2 users/multiple libraries or what.
Here's what we need:
  • Merge and share our 2 existing iPhoto libraries.
  • Keep 2 separate iTunes accounts
  • Ability to share large movie files in iTunes to avoid duplication.
We don't need separate preferences, bookmarks, etc.
How would you proceed? Is all this possible?

Thanks!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yes it is all possible. For iTunes do you need separate libraries or just separate store accounts? Two libraries can be a pain. Unnecessary in my opinion as you'll likely have overlapping songs and the ability to create playlists.

smelvis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
For iTunes do you need separate libraries or just separate store accounts?

We both have separate store accounts and Apple IDs. Would it make more sense to create two computer user accounts? Will that help?

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Speaking personally, I maintain two separate user accounts to stop my wife's stuff mixing with my own. I love her dearly but her taste in music is terrible (it might be the other way around but the result is still that I have the urge rip my own ears off when she plays music) so keeping everything separate makes sense to me. We are definitely separate users of the computer and I think keeping separate user accounts is best for both of us. It sometimes can be a pain when sharing files but we so almost aways have an external drive attached that can be used for sharing, plus the built-in mechanisms in OS X.

Ultimately, it probably depends on how much you actually share. If it is a a lot then perhaps a single user account makes sense.

smelvis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
Good advice. We'd like to merge our 2 iPhoto libraries too. Can we do this if we have 2 user accounts?

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Merging 2 iPhoto Libraries into 1 shared one is (I think) definitely possible, particularly if you are using an external drive since both user accounts can see it. I believe it should also be possible on a single drive since access should just be a question of ensuring that both user accounts have the necessary permissions to read/write to the library. What gives me a bit of pause, however, is whether 2 users accessing the same library at the same time could cause problems.

If I get the chance this evening, and if I remember, I might give it a try and see what happens.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Good advice. We'd like to merge our 2 iPhoto libraries too. Can we do this if we have 2 user accounts?

iPhoto won't merge libraries. You have two options.

You can export the photos from library A then import them into library B. Then trash library A and use B going forward. Then store your iPhoto library in the Shared folder so both accounts can access it.

Or you can use a utility like this to merge the libraries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.