Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Looking into buying an iPhone 5s, unlocked, GSM. I checked ebay (which I don't really trust) and Amazon and the prices aren't really that much better.

Is there a good site you guys trust?

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Apple.com. Free shipping, comes unlocked right out of the box and hassle free returns/exchanges. Carriers have restocking fee for returns, limited exchanges and you have to call them to unlock your phone even though you paid unsubsidized price.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Why aren't you buying from apple? It's not like you can get a discount on a new one, so why bother with someone else?

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I really think the OP ment to title this as "the cheapest place to buy iPhone 5S".

Otherwise it's really a no brainer. Since apple sells unlocked 5S these days.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Just buy directly from Apple and avoid the hassle of 3rd party sellers and potential warranty issues.

Last edited:

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Will the T-Mobile unlocked model work for AT&T? I assume it would, right?

----------

Ah; I see you can select t-mobile or sim free when you choose on the site. Can I walk into an Apple store and buy an unlocked iPhone?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Ah; I see you can select t-mobile or sim free when you choose on the site. Can I walk into an Apple store and buy an unlocked iPhone?

You may want to call the store and confirm they have stock first. The sim-free version is the "official" unlocked version.

Alternatively, the Verizon model is fully GSM unlocked AND will work on Verizon if you choose to go that route.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
You may want to call the store and confirm they have stock first. The sim-free version is the "official" unlocked version.

Alternatively, the Verizon model is fully GSM unlocked AND will work on Verizon if you choose to go that route.

I've heard that about the Verizon model..it fully supports all LTE bands for AT&T?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
if you are worrying about whether its unlocked and not other issues like icloud activation and whatnot, you can ask the seller for the IMEI, then check the iMEI at iphoneimei.info

If the seller does not want to provide it, explain to him you need it to actually verify if it is 100% unlock and not anything else, even if the listing says unlocked.

Dont trust a seller's word for it! I've had instances of that happening, where the listing was stated as unlocked, but when I verified it via the IMEI, it was still locked and in contract.

If the seller is adamant about not providing it, move on to the next seller. Chances are that most sellers will provide the IMEI.

If you really want to increase your chance of winning and getting the cheapest value, find a listing that ends when people in the US are normally asleep :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.