Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Hello, I just ordered a new 23 inch full hd monitor to use with my 15 inch rMBP. I think I wont be using the machine in clamshell mode so I will have both screens available as a dual monitor setup.

My question is, do you think I should get an external keyboard and mouse or is it fine using the one in the laptop. I know this is a matter of personal preference, I'm just looking for opinions.

Let me know your preference and why to see if I should order them.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
If you are not going to be in clamshell mode, I don't see the need to get a separate keyboard and/or mouse, unless you plan to raise the MBP so it is even with the external monitor (i.e. so they are more side to side).

I have my rMBP driving two external monitors and I use clamshell so I have an external keyboard and monitor, but I don't know that I would if I was just using one external.

chlc

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
If I had an external monitor I think I would also get a separate keyboard and mouse. I just feel like it would be annoying to have the laptop open in front of the external display, possibly obstructing the view (i mean I guess you could just angle it / place it out of the way).

My opinion though

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Yeah, Im planning to use them side by side with a slight angle so I can have the laptop keyboard close to me, but Im not sure if it will be comfortable since the keyboard will not be in front of the monitor.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, Im planning to use them side by side with a slight angle so I can have the laptop keyboard close to me, but Im not sure if it will be comfortable since the keyboard will not be in front of the monitor.

If you are going side-by-side, angled, etc. then I change my original statement, and would say that it would definitely be helpful to have an external keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's not good ergonomics to use your laptop computer next to your display and try to the keyboard and trackpad on the computer.

I would even advise getting a stand to elevate the computer so it's the same or close to the same level as the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.