Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I have had issues of my iPhone 5 turning off at high percentages before, and then turning on after a while and being fine.

The last 2 days my phone has died at a high percentage, come back on after a while and then instantly died again.

Today for example, took it off charge, used it very lightly, a few data messages. Then put it in my bag when I went into work, took it out of my bag and the battery was on 76%, semi understandable as I was in a place of no signal and I hadn't put on airplane mode.

I then used it with Airplane mode on just taking notes for 20 minutes and it dropped to 60%. I turned airplane mode off when I got in the car and then as soon as I went to use it 2 hours later the battery was at 50% and just unlocking it and opening an app made it die. Wait a while, turn it on, try to use it and it dies. If I turn it back on and just leave it locked it is fine. It is only when I try to use it it dies.

I have seen people post pictures of their iPhone battery health on here over the last week and I wondered how I can check that? Is it an iPhone app? Mac app?

Thanks

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I have had issues of my iPhone 5 turning off at high percentages before, and then turning on after a while and being fine.

The last 2 days my phone has died at a high percentage, come back on after a while and then instantly died again.

Today for example, took it off charge, used it very lightly, a few data messages. Then put it in my bag when I went into work, took it out of my bag and the battery was on 76%, semi understandable as I was in a place of no signal and I hadn't put on airplane mode.

I then used it with Airplane mode on just taking notes for 20 minutes and it dropped to 60%. I turned airplane mode off when I got in the car and then as soon as I went to use it 2 hours later the battery was at 50% and just unlocking it and opening an app made it die. Wait a while, turn it on, try to use it and it dies. If I turn it back on and just leave it locked it is fine. It is only when I try to use it it dies.

I have seen people post pictures of their iPhone battery health on here over the last week and I wondered how I can check that? Is it an iPhone app? Mac app?

Thanks

Sounds like your battery is degrading- replace it with apple

My battery doesn't do that on my iphone but my iPod touch is just like that and it lasts for just 30 minutes of use

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Sounds like your battery is degrading- replace it with apple

My battery doesn't do that on my iphone but my iPod touch is just like that and it lasts for just 30 minutes of use

Thanks

Have checked and it is £55 for a new battery. A cost I'm willing to pay, just want to check my battery health to make sure I need to spend out.

Have done a full erase and restore to see if that helps

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Thanks

Have checked and it is £55 for a new battery. A cost I'm willing to pay, just want to check my battery health to make sure I need to spend out.

Have done a full erase and restore to see if that helps

ya im following this thread to see what anyone else says so i can try and check on my iPod touch .

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Search for iBackupBot .... It's a Mac program where you can find some battery informations.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As an alternative to iBackupBot, you can run a diagnostic via the Apple support page. I forget how I got to it, but I did have to fill out some forms first.

Anyway, it sounds like you need a new battery to me.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
As an alternative to iBackupBot, you can run a diagnostic via the Apple support page. I forget how I got to it, but I did have to fill out some forms first.

Anyway, it sounds like you need a new battery to me.

ill look at that also-was it free and i dont have to take it to apple right.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
ill look at that also-was it free and i dont have to take it to apple right.

Yes it was free, and no you don't take it to Apple. If I recall correctly, it gives you the option of running the diagnostic and sends a link via iMessage. I don't remember if the results were particularly through though.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Here is my battery health, is this good? Is this a battery problem or iOS problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 21.56.27.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 21.56.27.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 136,870

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
According to Apply the battery should still have 80% capacity at 500 charge cycles and you are below that. It doesn't mean the battery has a problem, e.g., it may have been used or left in a hot environment, but that's not what's causing the OP's issues.

Time for a Genius appointment. You can certainly try a reset or restore but these types of stories seem to typically end with a battery replacement.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
Just ran the test on my iPhone4

Battery

CycleCount: 526
DesignCapacity: 1420
FullChargeCapacity: 1213
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 100
BatteryIsCharging: false
ExternalChargeCapable: true
ExternalConnected: true
FullyCharged: true
GasGaugeCapability: true

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Just ran the test on my iPhone4

Battery

CycleCount: 526
DesignCapacity: 1420
FullChargeCapacity: 1213
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 100
BatteryIsCharging: false
FullyCharged: true

Is this the app you used? I dont see anything in the description that says you can check the battery life of your device

http://download.cnet.com/iBackupBot/3000-2242_4-75532275.html

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's an option in the app, but not one of it's main features necessarily, so might not be talked about in the description/reviews.

Ok believe I've found it, what would you guys rate my battery? I have only fully charged it 430 times that can't be right, is it? If not looking at this and judging by real life experience it feels like my battery somewhat drains quick. It is an iPhone 5 so has a little bit of mileage to it. The reason I want to know is I'll be handing this phone over to my mom and I'll replace the battery for her but not unless I have to.

Battery

CycleCount: 430
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1297
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 19
BatteryIsCharging: true
FullyCharged: false

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok believe I've found it, what would you guys rate my battery? I have only fully charged it 430 times that can't be right, is it? If not looking at this and judging by real life experience it feels like my battery somewhat drains quick. It is an iPhone 5 so has a little bit of mileage to it. The reason I want to know is I'll be handing this phone over to my mom and I'll replace the battery for her but not unless I have to.

Battery

CycleCount: 430
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1297
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 19
BatteryIsCharging: true
FullyCharged: false
Remember these are cycles of 100% charge, so if you charged your phone 3 times totalling 100% (once you charged 40%, another time 30%, and then 30% again, for example) that's 1 cycle.

As for the numbers, after 430 cycles, they seem to be fine. They are not necessarily great, but after so many cycles, I would say they are at least just fine if not more.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Remember these are cycles of 100% charge, so if you charged your phone 3 times totalling 100% (once you charged 40%, another time 30%, and then 30% again, for example) that's 1 cycle.

As for the numbers, after 430 cycles, they seem to be fine. They are not necessarily great, but after so many cycles, I would say they are at least just fine if not more.
So I've got about 1,000 more full charges be it incremental before it'd reach the capacity and start going bad am I reading that right? That seems crazy

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Remote diagnostics

As a previous poster stated, apple now has remote diagnostics, however for what I've seen they won't actually you what the problem was, and you still have to go to the Genius Bar or call apple care for the results.

Go to support tab on apple.com
Click on what device you have
Click on contact support
Click on apple support get started

You should be at get support.apple.com
I'll click battery power and charging
I'll click on battery questions or trouble shooting

Send apple your serial number

This will send a text message to your phone to a link to ios diagnostics

You will get quick test or extended test.

The ios diagnostics page in safari should refresh

Regardless if you have an actual problem or not you still get that same page asking you if you want to send it in for service, schedule a call, chat, take it into service, chat, etc.

I've never seen it actually say if there was a problem with the iPhone or not
I have taken in an iPhone with a bad battery and the apple remote diagnostics app didn't really tell me about it, it just said to make an appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.