Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Hi all,

Installed a Crucial M500 240GB SSD into the HDD slot, and popped HDD into the optibay (after the other-way-around was given me hassles). Mid-2012 MBP i5.

I'm just curious about the boot-time? After I have put in my password, things fly like greased lightning. I have plenty off applets that need to load into my Bartender menu - and it's 12 seconds and all done - which is amazing and significantly faster than what it was before!

To be clear - this alone, together with the overall snappiness of launching apps etc., is worth the upgrade alone!

Having said that - it's what happens prior to my inserting the password, that still feels like it's taking as long as it always was... The 'grey-screen' part of things... It's no big deal, but I cannot but help thinking I might be missing something, given all the times I come across people talking about boot-times of under 15 seconds...

I'm easily looking at a minute on top of that...

Anyone else underwhelmed by their SSD wading through the Apple grey? :cool:

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hold down the Command and V keys at boot to get a text boot to see where is taking all the time. Everything should just load with little delay if you see some of the messages taking more than a second or two that is your problem.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Make sure that your boot drive (the SSD) is selected in your System Preferences/Startup Disk pane.
Just that small tip may help noticeably with boot times.

And, one more - How often do you need to shut down? your MBPro can simply be put to sleep when you are not using it. And when waking, you're back to work as soon as the screen turns on.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Go to System Preferences / Startup Disk, and check that your SSD is actually selected as startup disk.

Then restart, you should get the login window in ~15 seconds.

Ninja'd !!

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Make sure that your boot drive (the SSD) is selected in your System Preferences/Startup Disk pane.
Just that small tip may help noticeably with boot times.

Go to System Preferences / Startup Disk, and check that your SSD is actually selected as startup disk.

Then restart, you should get the login window in ~15 seconds.

Ninja'd !!

Oh my shattered nerves!! ^^ worked instantly! Thank you so much - it flies! Wow! :D

Oh - hardly shutdown, being doing it more to simply try and see the amazing boot times promised by the SSD - and now I've seen it!

Finally beginning to appreciate why everyone saying a SSD "is the best upgrade you can make", is absolutely correct!

softwind

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
12s to enter desktop and 7s to shut down completely.
my macbook pro 15' late 2013: i7, 8gb ram, ssd 256 pci-based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.