Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axlrose1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Hello everyone , I ask a help regarding a problem that occurred to a friend of mine :
the other day I did a clean install of the Mavericks on his new Imac 27 , only that he forgot to save the image folder from finder, and so now the picture of a life has been lost
All other files we have drags in an external hard drive from Western Digital 2tb , which , prior to this transfer , there was a time machine backup file , which we removed
The question is seen in this file that Time Machine were also his photos , and saw that the only writing made after the removal made ​​to this file (made with disk utility initializing the same) was the transfer of the folders that interested from the Mac , there is a way to recover this Time Machine file system?
I advised him to try RESCUE PRO , but could not find anything, recommended some specific program to try? it has happened to someone and found a way? it would be a great help on your part to find a solution to all this , he is desperate enough , there were more than 10 years of photos of past Mac Mac with migration assistant from time to time , and now I'm lost
Look for your help , in the meantime, thank you

Marco

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hello everyone , I ask a help regarding a problem that occurred to a friend of mine :
the other day I did a clean install of the Mavericks on his new Imac 27 , only that he forgot to save the image folder from finder, and so now the picture of a life has been lost
All other files we have drags in an external hard drive from Western Digital 2tb , which , prior to this transfer , there was a time machine backup file , which we removed
The question is seen in this file that Time Machine were also his photos , and saw that the only writing made after the removal made ​​to this file (made with disk utility initializing the same) was the transfer of the folders that interested from the Mac , there is a way to recover this Time Machine file system?
I advised him to try RESCUE PRO , but could not find anything, recommended some specific program to try? it has happened to someone and found a way? it would be a great help on your part to find a solution to all this , he is desperate enough , there were more than 10 years of photos of past Mac Mac with migration assistant from time to time , and now I'm lost
Look for your help , in the meantime, thank you

Marco

Why did you even bother to do a clean install, OS X installs over an existing OS install without removing User specific files.
I think there is little chance for you to recover anything, but trying won't hurt, but you do need another disk to recover those files to.
Recovering a time machine image most likely will have 0% chance of succeeding, it is one huge file/image, a few lost bytes will make it unusable.
Try recovering from the iMac directly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You removed the backup and then used that volume to copy the data from the mac. What that means is there is little chance of recovering any images. Perhaps some very expensive disk recovery services may save some, but in general you did the opposite of what most people consider best practices.

Run a back up of your mac instead of deleting the backup - sorry that he lost his photos, that really bites :(

I'm paranoid of the very same thing so I keep multiple backups, but of course that doesn't help your friend.

axlrose1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
we did this because he wanna install mavericks with a clean installation, removing everything from his Imac that was very slow after the update; the problem is that he forgot to save the imaged folder from finder to the external hard disk and that before the first savage, he deleted the old time machine backup files, so in your opinion, there are some chances to recover this time machine files with some software?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
we did this because he wanna install mavericks with a clean installation, removing everything from his Imac that was very slow after the update; the problem is that he forgot to save the imaged folder from finder to the external hard disk and that before the first savage, he deleted the old time machine backup files, so in your opinion, there are some chances to recover this time machine files with some software?

No, as I told before in my last post you won't be able to recover the complete image from the backup, the bigger the image the less chance for recovering.
If I have an image of lets say 1 GB and some bytes are corrupted the image won't mount anymore.
Better try to recover from the iMac internal disk, you most likely can't recover all photo's but with a bit of luck you can recover some or more.
If the photo's were on an area which is not overwritten with the last installation there is still a chance you can recover most of them.
I suggest you to not startup from the internal iMac HD and try to recover before doing anything else with the iMac, the longer you wait the less chance you get for recovering images/photo's.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
we did this because he wanna install mavericks with a clean installation, removing everything from his Imac that was very slow after the update;
Its water over the bridge but the Time Machine backup had everything you needed (provided it was up to date).

As fo recovering the data, I think at this point your only option is for a service and not an application, i.e., companies training to recover data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.