Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Previous rumors hinted that Samsung's next flagship device would leapfrog the iPhone 5s with new iris scanning technology, but that rumor may be inaccurate. A recent report from The Korea Herald claims the Korean handset maker instead is working on fingerprint sensor technology for its upcoming flagship Galaxy S5 phone.
"Among the different types of biometric sensors that Samsung is testing for its Galaxy S5, the tech giant will go for fingerprint authentication rather than unintuitive user experience of iris recognition," said an industry source who declined to be named.

"Who would want to put their handset up close to their eyes for authentication in places like movie theaters and bed, or even while they are driving?," the industry source added.
upek_fingerprint_sensor_2.jpg
Samsung Vice President Lee Young-hee said in a recent Bloomberg interview that the company was looking into the possibility of using an iris scanner, but can't confirm that the technology would be incorporated into the Galaxy S5.
"Many people are fanatical about iris recognition technology. We are studying the possibility but can't really say whether we will have it or not on the S5."
The Korea Herald report cites industry sources who claim the iris scanning technology would provide an unfamiliar and uncomfortable user experience. It also is technically challenging as it would require a long-range camera, in addition to a rear camera and a front-facing camera. The inclusion of three camera modules would force Samsung to redesign both the internal layout and form factor of its Galaxy S phones.

Apple has also been rumored to be working on iris scanning functionality, but industry insiders predict it will take several years before a single camera module will be able to serve dual functions as a front-facing camera and an iris scanner. In the interim, manufacturers like Samsung are expected to adopt display-wide fingerprint scanners that would unlock a phone by allowing a user to tap on the screen. Apple has revealed its own interest in such technology, including the ability to turn display areas corresponding to app icons such as those for banking or email apps into fingerprint sensors.

Article Link: Samsung Said to Follow Apple's Lead with Fingerprint Sensor, No Iris Scanner in Galaxy S5

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
What?

"Who would want to put their handset up close to their eyes for authentication in places like movie theaters and bed, or even while they are driving?," the industry source added.

Using the phone in a movie theatre or the car? these are the people that should be restricted from all forms of technology!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
They forgot to mention that unlike the iPhone, there won't be a 4 digit pin code required. So if your finger doesn't scan, well, too bad, you can't access your phone.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Am I the only one who would rather not have to gouge out an eyeball out or chop a finger off if my phone turns out to have a security flaw?

Given a choice, I would much prefer a device with no biometric systems in it at all.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
They forgot to mention that unlike the iPhone, there won't be a 4 digit pin code required. So if your finger doesn't scan, well, too bad, you can't access your phone.

Android phones have a variety of unlock options available, like the one where you trace a pattern on the screen. Surely that would be an alternative if the fingerprint scanner fails?

That said, I am interested to see how accurate Samsung can make their scanners.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
You think Apple invented fingerprint scan security?

No, but just like multi touch, App Store, Siri, and dozens of countless features, they were the first to put it in a useful package rather than geeky proof of concepts, and that's what samsung copies; not technology itself as much as practicality of technology

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Using the phone in a movie theatre or the car? these are the people that should be restricted from all forms of technology!

Good point. It's worth reminding these writers and 'industry sources' that both your eyeballs and all ten fingers are supposed to be permanently engaged in the act of driving a car.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011

That's pretty unfair as a comment: I agree with you that there is no way that Apple will actually be able to sue over Samsung playing copycat with a fingerprint sensor, but just look at the first Android implementation of a fingerprint scanner. Its clumsy, on the back, smudges the camera every time you use it, inaccurate and pretty unpleasant to use.

At the same time Apple brings out a solution which is always there, working in the background, very easy to set up and impressively accurate. All of a sudden Android manufacturers are like "oh yeah, that's obviously how we would have implemented a fingerprint sensor in an intuitive, non-gimmicky way" and bring it straight to their phones. HTC will pretend their first fingerprint phone never even happened and that Apple's way was always what they planned to do.

I like competition, I like certain things that Android manufacturers do, less so Samsung but the HTC One is a gorgeous phone and the Nexus 4 and 5 are both outstanding value for money, but its things like this, like that internal Samsung document that leaked showing Samsung trying to make their user experience more iPhone-like that REALLY hacks me off.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I wonder what they end up for. Samsung makes some great hardware (like the panels used any nearly every Apple device, SSDs and RAM). But when it comes to features especially the software part, they suck. Looking at S Voice, S Planner etc. they seem to just try out everything and hope that some of it works

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

The last couple of times i went to the movies i saw about 10 people texting throughout the whole movie. People can't even unplug for a movie.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No, but just like multi touch, App Store, Siri, and dozens of countless features, they were the first to put it in a useful package rather than geeky proof of concepts, and that's what samsung copies; not technology itself as much as practicality of technology
I mean exactly this. And for this Apple has sued in the past.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Apple's legal team is the big winner here?

Why ? Apple did'nt invent this technology. There have been phones with a fingerprint censor before.

And when was the last time Apple really did invent something new themselves?

Still love my iMacs and Macbooks but on the Phone front I wont stay in 2007 just because of the logo. My Note 3 is soooo brilliant. Hope iPhone 6 have something new and that iOS 7 will look better and not so cheap. Biggest mistake ever.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
This is what I was afraid of, that Apple would make biometrics popular.

We should not rely on any security that we can never change. If somebody steals your password, at least you can change your password. If somebody steals your username, you can change your username.

Good luck changing your fingerprints. Before long there will be billboards scanning your retinas as you walk down the street...

mrxak

macrumors 68000

Nah, just more than one piece of technology at the same time.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
At the same time Apple brings out a solution which is always there, working in the background, very easy to set up and impressively accurate. All of a sudden Android manufacturers are like "oh yeah, that's obviously how we would have implemented a fingerprint sensor in an intuitive, non-gimmicky way" and bring it straight to their phones. HTC will pretend their first fingerprint phone never even happened and that Apple's way was always what they planned to do.

I like competition, I like certain things that Android manufacturers do, less so Samsung but the HTC One is a gorgeous phone and the Nexus 4 and 5 are both outstanding value for money, but its things like this, like that internal Samsung document that leaked showing Samsung trying to make their user experience more iPhone-like that REALLY hacks me off.

Is it really worth getting upset about? Let Apple get upset about it, and simply reward them with your business if you appreciate the way they make technology accessible and intuitive. That's long been their greatest strength, and one of the reasons I've been such a long-time user of Apple products.

But this is the nature of progress. Someone invents something, another person improves upon it, and another improves upon the improvements. Apple became what they are today by taking other people's ideas and making them better. So can we not can forgive those companies that have the business sense to mimic Apple's improvements, even if they don't necessarily have the creativity to improve upon them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.