Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Two months or so ago, the warning triangle appeared on the battery icon, telling me to "Service Battery" (According to iStat, my battery health is at 79%) and Ive been told to replace if it ever dips below 80. However, its only two years old, should I really have to replace the battery that early? This might be the cause for the fans being noisy, but still.. if not

Whenever I stream a show, for instance through Netflix, my fans go nuts. Even though I only have that window open, no other app eating ram. Why is the fans experienced such high usage? When I quit the streaming, the fans quiet down after 5-10 minutes.

No, I dont have Applecare.

Help is much appreciated

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Both Microsoft Silverlight (Netflix) and Adobe Flash are resource hungry and will get those fans running.

I had a service battery too on my 3+ year old MBP; unless the battery is swelling I'd wait a wee bit longer before getting it replaced at an Apple store.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Both Microsoft Silverlight (Netflix) and Adobe Flash are resource hungry and will get those fans running.

I had a service battery too on my 3+ year old MBP; unless the battery is swelling I'd wait a wee bit longer before getting it replaced at an Apple store.

it has gotten very, very sensitive lately. even just starting skype gets it going

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.