Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad 2 sales have dropped significantly following the introduction of new iPad and iPad mini models back in October, according to the latest research from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. Both the mini and full-size iPad Air making significant percentage gains in Apple's iPad mix.

For the September quarter, the last quarter before the new iPads were released, CIRP said the iPad 2 accounted for some 22 percent of iPad sales. For the December quarter, the iPad 2 fell to only 5 percent of total iPad sales.

In the quarter, the iPad mini with Retina display remained supply constrained until at least mid-December -- the full size iPad accounted for 54 percent of sales, while the iPad mini accounted for 41 percent.

cirpipadsales.png
"Apple managed to shift significant sales to its higher-priced models," said Mike Levin, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. "For the past year, the legacy iPad 2 grabbed from one-quarter to one-third of iPad sales. Along with the trend toward sale of models with larger storage capacities, Apple should see higher iPad average selling prices, with iPad 2 at only 5% of total sales and iPad mini sales split between the original model and the new iPad mini with Retina display."
The new iPad Air -- which was in strong supply for the quarter -- accounted for 41 percent of total iPad sales, significantly outselling the fourth-generation full-size iPad. Sales of the non-retina iPad mini outstripped its retina-equipped brethren, likely because of supply issues. On the U.S. Apple Online Store, the iPad mini with Retina display only began shipping within 24 hours at the end of December.

ipadasp1.png
The shift of sales from the cheaper iPad 2 to the more expensive iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina is a good sign for Apple. The company has seen its iPad Average Selling Price consistently drop over the past three years.

Article Link: iPad 2 Sales Drop Significantly as Holiday Shoppers Choose Pricier iPads

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
This is bad for the iPad 2. I think Apple may discontinue it this year.

Good, I hope they also discontinue the 1st generation iPad mini. Then we will only be left with retina iPads with a minimum of an A7 chip.

iPad 2 was and still is a great device, but I believe it is time to say goodbye.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
5% seems pretty high.

It has to do with the the recent promotions/bundles. Many companies were including new iPad 2s *for free* if people buy something from them.

I saw it recently with Dish Network, if you get their DVR service, you also get iPad 2 for free. It looks like they've switched to iPad mini recently, probably because the original mini is now cheaper.

The Banana

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
Not surprised at all. After 3 years the iPad 2 still costs 400 dollars - why would you buy the iPad 2 over the iPad mini Retina, which is better in every way (except screensize)?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I'm surprised the iPad 2 is still able to run the newest version of iOS. Apple's going to drop support eventually, just a matter of time. But as long as they keep selling these, can they really stop supporting the hardware in less than a year?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
As you would expect. iOS 7 is out and people are giving mix reviews on the iPad 2's handling of it and you wouldn't expect iOS 8 on it. The lightning connector is missing on it, finally for a price point you are likely to go for the iPad mini instead.

The lightning connector alone should have saw the end of the iPad 2 and Apple should have opted to keep the iPad 3 instead.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
I don't know why anyone would want to buy the obsolete Ipad 2 or Ipad mini. For another $100 you get a more up to date model. The iPad 2 and mini also using internals that are three years old, what a waste to buy them.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know why anyone would want to buy the obsolete Ipad 2 or Ipad mini. For another $100 you get a more up to date model. The iPad 2 and mini also using internals that are three years old, what a waste to buy them.

I don't either. Apple already knows the iPad 2 is long in the tooth, they are just trying to milk it for as much cash as they can get out of it. Personally I think making it available at this price for yet another release is going to come back to bite them. People are going to be angry when the next update isn't available or most of the features aren't there, and that's totally unacceptable from the standpoint of a $400 device.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The iPad 2 was the last iPad on the market sold with a 30-pin connector which many businesses and institutions have a huge investment in. That is almost certainly why it has been kept afloat this long. These numbers are just a reflection of the fact that even those customers are realizing it's time to move on.

golgo1313

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Claremont, CA
The iPad 2 was the last iPad on the market sold with a 30-pin connector which many businesses and institutions have a huge investment in. That is almost certainly why it has been kept afloat this long. These numbers are just a reflection of the fact that even those customers are realizing it's time to move on.

no the iPad 3 was...

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
Did old people get wiser?

Who was still buying these things?

Did old people wise up or did stores stop pushing them as a reasonable option?

I understand that some people might not have money for the newest tech, but buying something that will only be supported for a small amount of time is not a wise alternative. Save up and buy a refurb or used one, it will be cheaper in the long run when you don't have to refresh so soon.

For whatever reason this happened, I am surprised. Many consumers seem to still be picking the lowest price in front of them, instead of the lifelong costs of a product. (See AT&T and Verizon carrier contracts for reference)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Makes sense. The iPad 2's main appeal over the 4 was the size & weight (and it didn't suffer much performance-wise because it was driving 1/4 the pixels). The Air blew all of that away. The $100 price break doesn't come close to making up for the differences in capability.

I can see the non-retina mini having a bit more life, just cos it's the cheapest iPad. (But it will drop from that %25... remember, that was in December when supplies of the retina iPad mini were very constrained.)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Who was still buying these things?

Did old people wise up or did stores stop pushing them as a reasonable option?

People who buy ipads in volume like this.
ipad_labs_20110218.jpg

Or who have expensive POS systems or other industry-specific hardware that is not easy to adapt to Lightning, nor is there a compelling reason to.

purplehaze1901

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Could it be...

That the iPad 2 is not featured in stores any longer? Walk into an Apple Store and you'll find the iPad Air section and the iPad Mini section. Good luck finding the iPad 2 section. I know it's still on sale, but not exactly 'featured' in stores.

chrisyab

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
That the iPad 2 is not featured in stores any longer? Walk into an Apple Store and you'll find the iPad Air section and the iPad Mini section. Good luck finding the iPad 2 section. I know it's still on sale, but not exactly 'featured' in stores.

I've seen them in Staples. Maybe Apple let Staples be an authorized retailer so they know where 2 send the junk unfit for Apple Stores :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.