Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

PlayStation 3 Controller Support Comes to iOS with New Jailbreak Tweak

A new jailbreak tweak called Controllers for All allows users to play iPhone and iPad games with the PlayStation 3's Dual Shock 3 controller, via Bluetooth. The tweak supports all games that have native iOS 7 controller support and when used with a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, users can play iOS games, with a wireless controller, on a television.

From our sister-site TouchArcade:
Quote:
If you're into the whole jailbreaking scene, this seems like a must-have tweak. The games I've played with my actual legit iOS 7 controllers have been really awesome, and I can only imagine how much better the whole experience would be with an actual amazingly high quality controller like the PS3 controller.

Also, amusingly enough, you could pick up the PS3 controller from Amazon, jailbreak your device, and drop two bucks on Controllers for All, and spend less than half of what a "real" iOS 7 controller would cost you for what I imagine to be a substantially better overall experience.
Controllers for All is a $1.99 download from Cydia's ModMyi repo.

Article Link: PlayStation 3 Controller Support Comes to iOS with New Jailbreak Tweak
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Sky Blue

Might actually Jailbreak for this. Screw your crappy $99 controllers.
Sky Blue is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

No brainer. Jailbreaking RIGHT NOW.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Fantastic. Could be the thing that makes me jailbreak my phone.

I would love for Apple to build in native support for this, similarly to how it just works on the Mac. On the one hand, it would undermine the MFI controller program, but on the other it would provide iOS devices with a readily available, high-quality games controller.

I think enhancing gaming on iOS is better for Apple and it's customers than insisting on proprietary peripherals with expensive MFI licenses.
springsup is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:58 PM   #5
the-msa
macrumors member

7 years late

why not for DS4?
the-msa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:02 PM   #6
ghost187
macrumors regular

I hate jail breaking because something always goes wrong down the line but damn, temptation is killing me.
ghost187 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:07 PM   #7
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Really cool! Possible to hook up two controllers?
macnisse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

I would love to have this on my iPad but last time I did Jailbreak (i think it was on iOS4) it ended up causing issues with my certificates and apps wouldn't install from Xcode and I had to reinstall iOS
Rudy69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Apparently they're going to add more controller support soon. I hope they add the Wiimote next.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:23 PM   #10
seamer
macrumors 6502

If enough of you jailbreak for this, Apple will include it officially.
seamer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:25 PM   #11
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-msa View Post
why not for DS4?
PlayStation 4's Dualshock 4 support coming soon
mdridwan47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:26 PM   #12
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Simply awesome.

This should be an official update to iOS. "Now you can hook up any Bluetooth controller to your iOS device". Boom! (btw, hooking up a PS4 controller would be even cooler that controller is just perfect, imho).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:36 PM   #13
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
This should be an official update to iOS. "Now you can hook up any Bluetooth controller to your iOS device". Boom! (btw, hooking up a PS4 controller would be even cooler that controller is just perfect, imho).
Apple won't do it since they have a huge-ass ego. They will make their own $#*** version. Which only works with their product alone, not as well designed and cost 2X more. Because they are

mdridwan47 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:57 PM   #14
brinary001
macrumors regular

I'm going to Cydia right now for this miracle tweak!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 06:25 PM   #15
ttinc
macrumors regular

Can't figure out how to install it with Lion on my computer -- that's the max I'm able to update to...2007 black macbook
ttinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:24 PM   #16
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by springsup View Post
Fantastic. Could be the thing that makes me jailbreak my phone.

I would love for Apple to build in native support for this, similarly to how it just works on the Mac. On the one hand, it would undermine the MFI controller program, but on the other it would provide iOS devices with a readily available, high-quality games controller.

I think enhancing gaming on iOS is better for Apple and it's customers than insisting on proprietary peripherals with expensive MFI licenses.
I think insisting on buying and carrying around peripherals to get the full, enhanced experience would harm iOS. Apple would sooner adopt a stylus *shudder*

There are other devices that play games with controllers. The iPhone is brilliant in part because it doesn't need one, and the best games on iOS wouldn't be improved in the least by controllers.
swarmster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:13 PM   #17
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
I think insisting on buying and carrying around peripherals to get the full, enhanced experience would harm iOS. Apple would sooner adopt a stylus *shudder*

There are other devices that play games with controllers. The iPhone is brilliant in part because it doesn't need one, and the best games on iOS wouldn't be improved in the least by controllers.
I feel the same way. I can't picture myself setting an iPad or especially an iPhone upright and use a controller to play. I really don't mind touch gaming mainly because when I do play mobile gaming it's usually when I'm not home.
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:16 PM   #18
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I'll tell you what, I'm using the Wii U Pro controller out of the box with OpenEmu via bluetooth. Why would Apple want a new standard? I would think bluetooth controllers of any kind should be able to work if the app itself support it. The Wii U Pro controller is perfect for every game from the original NES to current generation games.

But who cares about controllers for iDevices. I want to be able to play iOS apps on my Apple TV. Then we can have something to talk about, vs a $99 controller to play on my iphone?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:41 PM   #19
huck500
macrumors 6502

Breaks Retroarch

If you have Retroarch installed this seems to break it... just FYI. I haven't been able to reinstall, either. Tomb Raider is great with the PS3 controller, though
huck500 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:26 PM   #20
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Apparently they're going to add more controller support soon. I hope they add the Wiimote next.
Why the wiimote? Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable controller and I beat Rayman Legends using one, but what's it have on the Dual Shock other than motion sensing (which wouldn't work because Apple's MFi Controller protocol doesn't cover it.)

The Wii U controller on the other hand... I love it. I thought it looked silly but once I started using it, I couldn't imagine Pikmin 3 or Rayman Legends without it. I certainly hope Nintendo revamps their efforts to make solid games that utilize the systems unique capabilities.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:43 PM   #21
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
I'll tell you what, I'm using the Wii U Pro controller out of the box with OpenEmu via bluetooth. Why would Apple want a new standard? I would think bluetooth controllers of any kind should be able to work if the app itself support it. The Wii U Pro controller is perfect for every game from the original NES to current generation games.

But who cares about controllers for iDevices. I want to be able to play iOS apps on my Apple TV. Then we can have something to talk about, vs a $99 controller to play on my iphone?
OpenEMU + airplay/apply tv3 + ps3 sixaxis

Airparrot is a great app for OSX to airplay if you have an older Mac or Mac Pro. Air parrot is only $9.99 and works pretty good. Openemu supports what looks like 4 controllers so multiplayer with everyone gathered around the big screen in the living room living out our childhood playing old games.

I just wish I could split up the sound between the Mac and whichever TV I'm air playing to via Apple TV. If there is, I just haven't figured it out.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:55 PM   #22
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Why the wiimote? Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable controller and I beat Rayman Legends using one, but what's it have on the Dual Shock other than motion sensing (which wouldn't work because Apple's MFi Controller protocol doesn't cover it.)

The Wii U controller on the other hand... I love it. I thought it looked silly but once I started using it, I couldn't imagine Pikmin 3 or Rayman Legends without it. I certainly hope Nintendo revamps their efforts to make solid games that utilize the systems unique capabilities.
Because I'm cheap and don't want to invest into another controller unless it's the specific iOS 7 ones.

I only play SNES, GBA, and Sega Genesis games, so I don't need the fancy stuff.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:11 PM   #23
koban4max
macrumors 65816

do you have to unpair them when you're done using it? what if i want to play ps3, would that affect iPad as well?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:05 AM   #24
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
OpenEMU + airplay/apply tv3 + ps3 sixaxis

Airparrot is a great app for OSX to airplay if you have an older Mac or Mac Pro. Air parrot is only $9.99 and works pretty good. Openemu supports what looks like 4 controllers so multiplayer with everyone gathered around the big screen in the living room living out our childhood playing old games.
Latency would make this unplayable for me on most games of my liking.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:01 AM   #25
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Because I'm cheap and don't want to invest into another controller unless it's the specific iOS 7 ones.

I only play SNES, GBA, and Sega Genesis games, so I don't need the fancy stuff.
I'd think touch controls would work well enough for those systems... You don't really need the seperate controller until you start talking about trigger buttons, pressure sensitive buttons, and joysticks. And rumble.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion