Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjamesfuller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
I'm getting the symptoms of a graphic processor unit failure. Green and pink pixels have been dancing across my screen for awhile now. If I close my mac when its still on and re open it, the pixels are everywhere and its frozen. I have to do a hard reboot to regain access. I've been able to use it as normal, the pixels aren't always present but i'm guessing this problem is only going to get worse.

Has anyone else had problems with this model? I'm wondering what the best option is. This seems like its going to be a costly repair. :(

I would appreciate any and all advice. Thank you so much.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm getting the symptoms of a graphic processor unit failure. Green and pink pixels have been dancing across my screen for awhile now. If I close my mac when its still on and re open it, the pixels are everywhere and its frozen. I have to do a hard reboot to regain access. I've been able to use it as normal, the pixels aren't always present but i'm guessing this problem is only going to get worse.

Has anyone else had problems with this model? I'm wondering what the best option is. This seems like its going to be a costly repair. :(

do you still have apple care?

adamjamesfuller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Unfortunately I do not have apple care. My friend has seen a bunch of people hooked up out of warranty and out of their service plan for this type of issue. That being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the outcome is looking like a pretty penny.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Unfortunately I do not have apple care. My friend has seen a bunch of people hooked up out of warranty and out of their service plan for this type of issue. That being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but the outcome is looking like a pretty penny.

ya logic board replacements are around $300

In 2008(I believe) there was an issue the the GPU made by Nvidia and eventually it was recalled an apple fixed anyone with that GPU free of charge, I even believe they reimbursed anyone who paid out of pocket

so if this is a widespread issue it may be similar

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

There's a thread that's almost 160 pages long on the 2011 MBP GPU failure issue in the Apple support forums.

There's also been several articles around highlighting the GPU failures in Sandy Bridge Macs (2011 MBPs and 2011 iMacs)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.