Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
I'm getting ready to backup computer, clean install, etc.
I have a ton of image files and video files tied up in emails from family members, etc., that I'd like to keep.

Is there a way to do the following:

Search inbox for emails from "Mom".......
batch pull all image or video files from all of those emails and drop them into a folder on my desktop.

Search inbox for emails from "Sister"
batch pull all image and video files from all of those emails and drop them into a folder on my desktop.

etc. etc. etc.

this method would keep me from pulling images and videos from forwards or any unwanted senders, etc.

trying to avoid going email to email and right clicking, save image as, etc.

it would be much easier to pull ALL image and video files, dump to a folder, and sort later.

thanks for the help,
Matt

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
anybody even somewhat familiar?

I looked into mail plugins.....but none did what i'm trying to do.

granted, they were all a few years old.

anybody?

thanks,
Matt

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
it would be much easier to pull ALL image and video files, dump to a folder, and sort later.

thanks for the help,
Matt
And how do you distinguish between pictures that have useless filenames? Wouldn't it be better to sort the images and video using the context of the emails?

I'd recommend going through them manually and saving them to appropriate folders and filenames. I would think

The emails themselves don't take up that much more space than just the images and videos would.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
In 10.9's Mail I just look at the two pane Mail view and when I have a message in the preview selected (at the top of the bottom window) click the 'save all' button to save attachments.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
thank you for the replies.

it's still looking like there is no way to search for a specific sender.....and 'batch' save all attachments from that specific sender.

i'll keep looking, but I think it's going to have to be an individual email thing.
Matt

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I don't understand. In Mac Mail make a smart mailbox, with criteria "from" containing "mom," and "Attachment type" is "image." Then select them, and use File>Save attachments... to put them somewhere, like a folder called "From Mom."

I have to say that I agree that this is odd since you'll end up with a bunch of files named say IMG_00234.jpg with no idea what they are, since mom's description of that pie has been lost when you removed the context (it was apple, btw).

I'd think it would be better (assuming there's some reason you have to ditch your email account or whatever) to just save the message AND the attachment. You could manually do that, or Export to PDF, or Print to PDF. I use Email Archiver to do that automatically for all my legal email that I get with attachments. Otherwise I'd never know what the attachments were. I used an Applescript in Mail to cull attachments and save them to Devonthink, but it hasn't been working reliably in the new Mavericks Mail, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.