Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Well, Spigen don't make one, but they do exist. I always think that these china "knockoffs" are actually from the plant that makes the "authentic" ones for the American company.

Maybe Spigen will come out with the tough armor air soon as they are being made.

These "knockoffs" are not made by hand, they have to be done in a manufacturing facility with machinery and molds and extrusion processes etc etc.... This kind of time and resources would not happen to sell a handful of knockoffs.

Anyway, I ordered one for the rmini and air in space grey and silver. I'll update when I get it. Each cost $7.99-9.99 Multiple colors available.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...ckproof-Protective-Back-Cover/1566943814.html

Last edited:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
anybody interested they have the spigen tough armour for iphone 4,4s,5 and 5s for $3.90 free shipping now. GO GO GO GO!!!!

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
Well, Spigen don't make one, but they do exist. I always think that these china "knockoffs" are actually from the plant that makes the "authentic" ones for the American company.

Maybe Spigen will come out with the tough armor air soon as they are being made.

These "knockoffs" are not made by hand, they have to be done in a manufacturing facility with machinery and molds and extrusion processes etc etc.... This kind of time and resources would not happen to sell a handful of knockoffs.

Anyway, I ordered one for the rmini and air in space grey and silver. I'll update when I get it. Each cost $7.99-9.99 Multiple colors available.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...ckproof-Protective-Back-Cover/1566943814.html

I bought mine for my ipad mini R from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRVDXAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had this for my Ipad air I recently took back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK3STKQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I just ordered one as well! I needed something as a tougher case from time to time...this will work great!

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I'm curious as to the durability of the back snap aluminum part. I have one on my 5s and there is not one scratch on it now for 4 months. I read it scratches easily. So whatever. But this being a knockoff, don't know about scuffs etc

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I just bought one too. It probably won't get here for a zillion months but if it ever does, I'll report in.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I always think that these china "knockoffs" are actually from the plant that makes the "authentic" ones for the American company.

I used to think so too, but after comparing a few (real vs. knockoff), they aren't likely. They are most likely just REALLY REALLY good copies, in terms of looks.

When you feel them and see them up close, though, there is clearly a drop in quality. The plastics/TPU they use is of a lower quality, and there are rough seams/edges.

That is not to say this holds true for all knockoffs, and certainly even some genuine products have rough seams/edges/imperfections.

If you check out the Speck case knockoffs for the iphone, they are nearly identical in pics, but comes in some colors Speck doesn't make. There are even vendors on amazon trying to pass them off as real Speck's. Even the packaging looks legit, but it is slightly different from the real thing.

I had a knockoff Element case, and it even came with warranty cards.

The knockoff game in China is pro.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Got a shipment confirmation email yesterday...now the wait...the month long wait. ;)

----------

That website looks legit:rolleyes::(

It actually is. This is a website that many resellers use for their stores on EBay. They're most definitely knockoffs, but really good knockoffs.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
As far as these being knockoffs, often this is the case, but I would lean with the OP here for a simple reason -- with as saturated as the iPad market is, it's really not worth the several hundred dollar initial investment to get molds branded with Spigen. It's quite possible/likely they'd never even sell enough of this particular model rather than a generic, cheap case to make that money back so if they were buying molds to start up, they wouldn't have bothered to put Spigen on it. It's too specific imo.

Assuming these are the "real" product, as in made from the Spigen molds/contracted factory, there are a number of possibilities. These could just be stolen from Spigen, which would be uncool. They could be the domestic Chinese version for sale, for instance, if this YXP company is the OEM for Spigen who have local sales rights. Maybe these are B-stock types that don't meet Spigen QC levels. Or fourth, they could be made from stolen molds with potentially lesser materials, or made "after hours".

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
That website looks legit:rolleyes::(

Aliexpress is a pretty trustworthy company in terms of getting what you order, and they are pretty good with customer service too, although their English is not good.

Most, if not all of their products are knockoffs though, and I think most people shopping there know it. If you ask them, I think they'd openly admit they are not genuine products.

Shipping does take about a month though, in my personal experience.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
As far as these being knockoffs, often this is the case, but I would lean with the OP here for a simple reason -- with as saturated as the iPad market is, it's really not worth the several hundred dollar initial investment to get molds branded with Spigen. It's quite possible/likely they'd never even sell enough of this particular model rather than a generic, cheap case to make that money back so if they were buying molds to start up, they wouldn't have bothered to put Spigen on it. It's too specific imo.

Assuming these are the "real" product, as in made from the Spigen molds/contracted factory, there are a number of possibilities. These could just be stolen from Spigen, which would be uncool. They could be the domestic Chinese version for sale, for instance, if this YXP company is the OEM for Spigen who have local sales rights. Maybe these are B-stock types that don't meet Spigen QC levels. Or fourth, they could be made from stolen molds with potentially lesser materials, or made "after hours".

Spigen stated they are not going to make the case for the iPad air so who knows what these are

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Spigen stated they are not going to make the case for the iPad air so who knows what these are

Do you have a source for that? Also, that isn't mutually exclusive to what I said -- it's perfectly possible Spigen made molds but then decided not to make the Air case. YXF seems like it could be Spigen's manufacturing partner.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Do you have a source for that? Also, that isn't mutually exclusive to what I said -- it's perfectly possible Spigen made molds but then decided not to make the Air case. YXF seems like it could be Spigen's manufacturing partner.

I asked a CSR about it and they said there were no plans. However I also agree that there's a good chance they were looking into it and these are from molds that we're never used. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like. I have a Tough Armor for my 5S that I use when I need more protection than the Apple Leather case. Would love the same for my Air.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Doesn't take much to copy a real product in China. The knock-off business is as big if not bigger than the first run product production. An acquaintance is the vp for a very large hand tool company that sells in home depot, wal-mart etc. Not as big or as good as Bosch, but you get the idea. The take the newer tools from other companies and have their reps in China 'reverse engineer' them. They are able to make insane copies strictly from a few original examples. Change a few things here and there to satisfy the US copyright laws, use cheaper raw materials, motors, etc. sell the tool for 20% or so less than the big name and there have it. No R and D spent.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth

Direct from Spigen themselves on Facebook I repeatedly asked if it was getting made and finally after 2 months they responded that no tough armor for the iPad air

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
My tracking number shows my mini and air cases are in Vancouver. Should have them next week.

Price seems to have gone up...

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Mine showed up today-of course the day I DON'T bring my ipad to work. Looks ok. About what I would expect from a $10 case. The rubber is semi-hard. Feels ok. The back plastic piece feels a bit thin and lower grade plastic. I will report back once it's on the iPad. I love how they put Authentic all over.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 268
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 249
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 404
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 288
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 273

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Mine showed up today-of course the day I DON'T bring my ipad to work. Looks ok. About what I would expect from a $10 case. The rubber is semi-hard. Feels ok. The back plastic piece feels a bit thin and lower grade plastic. I will report back once it's on the iPad. I love how they put Authentic all over.

WOW, you had me worried there, you think you could have actually installed the ipad into the case instead of just laying it over the iapd. I thought the camera and holes didn't line up.

EDIT: NVM, I see now that the "ipad" in your pics is just the paper insert it comes with.

Do you have a spigen tough armour case that you can compare the rubber too? I have one for my 5s so I will be able to compare. the rubber is semi hard on the original I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.