Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I'm trying to open some free space on my hard drive as I only have 5 gigs left. However I cleaned out all the loose stuff that I don't need anymore and am still at around 5 gigs. Is there any programs that you'd recommend?

Also, to delete/uninstall a program that came with my computer all I have to do is drag it into the trash right? And I could always get it back with my original osx disk right?

this is what I'm thinking:
idvd
imovie
omnigraffle
omnioutliner -->never knew how to use these anyway
isync
automator
dashboard

is there any reason I should keep these around?

thanks

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If I remember right iMovie has some samples in it that take up quite a bit of space... and is definitely worth trashing if you're not interested in it.

Have you also tried removing all the additional languages with DeLocalizer or something similar like Monolingual? You can sometimes make substantial space savings by doing so.

I trashed iDVD as well as I'm not interested in DVD creation. Never missed it. I think the rest take up less space and it may not be possible to remove Dashboard, but I'm just guessing here.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Let the machine run overnight, preferably from Saturday to Sunday. This will clean out some old information and will free quite a bit of space without removing applications you might later want.

If you'd like to force it to happen earlier, there are various utilities to help you do this.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Use WhatSize to scan your HD for any large extraneous files.

And when deleting, check out the /Library/Application Support folder as well. That's where apps like iDVD/Garageband etc keep their tutorials, templates etc. Like Blue said, that's where the heavy stuff is.

Just be careful what you delete!

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
munkle said:
Onyx is a good one and will carry out some maintenance routines for you as well.

I have macjanitor, I think it's supposed to do the same thing, correct?

If I make the mistake of deleting something I'll miss, I can get it back by rebooting with the original osx dvd right? Just in case. :eek:

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
munkle said:
Use WhatSize to scan your HD for any large extraneous files.

And when deleting, check out the /Library/Application Support folder as well. That's where apps like iDVD/Garageband etc keep their tutorials, templates etc. Like Blue said, that's where the heavy stuff is.

Just be careful what you delete!

Okay, I ran whatsize and I'm too scared to even touch those stuff. :eek:

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
If you don't use Garageband, get rid of that. The audio loops (located in a folder called something like "Garageband Loops" in /Library IIRC) are about 2-3GB alone.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
dorqiekat said:
Okay, I ran whatsize and I'm too scared to even touch those stuff. :eek:

I tried running it and got very little information. I suppose I've cleaned up pretty well, though. Try leaving your machine on overnight this Saturday through Sunday and see if that improves things. Considering how many people have mentioned the difference in available capacity and responsiveness afterwards, I think you'll be surprised.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
hey thanks everybody! it took me about 2 hours but I did everything you guys suggested, I decided to keep the apps, it wouldn't have made a diff. However, the major difference shown was when I deleted all the drivers for the printer (except the one I use, of course) and the languages using monolingual (I tried delocalizer first, but it froze on me twice!). That gave me a few gigs, and after clearing out old movie fils I wouldn't miss, I now have 16 gigs! Whoo! Major addition considering I started out from 5 gigs. Now all I have left is to run MacJanitor and will reboot just for the hell of it.

thanks guys!

While I have your attention... :eek: I'm trying to change the icons for "my computer" and system preference. However, both says in ownership "read only." Is there someway to change that? I'm the owner of my computer... I don't know why I can't modify it. Is it supposed to be that way?

thanks again!

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
If you want to change an icon, click on it, then hold down command + i. then scan to the bottom of the info windows to where it says Ownership And Permissions. Click on there and then just change it to what you want.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I skated around 3gig for about six months, and deleted Garageband and some other apps way before that to try to free up space. The best idea I heard was to get an old PC harddrive (I had a 15g and 40g sitting around) and buy an enclosure. They're about $30 or more, and you have an external drive at low cost. I put my iTunes Music folder on it, and have about 20g free on the external, and about 20g free on my iBooks internal.

So search around your family and friends, or a local computer store, and see if you can pick up an old harddrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.