Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sautesarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
So I just bought this used computer, it's a macbook from the late 2007's and it would work fine for the first 10 mins, then it kept freezing. I rebooted the computer but that wasn't working. I then tried to re install the install disk since I hadn't before (10.5 version). The computer turns on but only a wallpaper shows up and no icons or toolbar, you can't right click it either. I took the battery out for a little but nothing happens. Anything I should do?

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
So I just bought this used computer, it's a macbook from the late 2007's and it would work fine for the first 10 mins, then it kept freezing. I rebooted the computer but that wasn't working. I then tried to re install the install disk since I hadn't before (10.5 version). The computer turns on but only a wallpaper shows up and no icons or toolbar, you can't right click it either. I took the battery out for a little but nothing happens. Anything I should do?

Try doing a Pram reset and a SMC reset. If this fails to resolve your issue, boot from the install disc, open up disk utility from the install disc and check the hard drive status. If theres something wrong you can try and repair the disk within the Disk utility app. If the disk cannot be repaired for any reason then you may need a new hard drive.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Try inserting Disk 1 of the installation restore media (Leopard) and holding D while booting. It should open hardware test. If not, insert disk 2 and try again. I can't remember which disk was hardware test for an 07 MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.