Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I don't want people knowing I want to take a video with the ipad. Is there a way we can cover the screen to take a video or something ? Without people thinking I am weird for holding something that big to take a video. I want it to be a secret.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Unless you're taking video somewhere you shouldn't, why is it a problem? That's why there are tons of iPad-specific video apps (Blux springs to mind). It's a big screen with a great camera. Record.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
By not caring what others think (and not making a nuisance of yourself and inconveniencing others while you go about it) obviously. :)

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Unless you're taking video somewhere you shouldn't, why is it a problem? That's why there are tons of iPad-specific video apps (Blux springs to mind). It's a big screen with a great camera. Record.

This past year, while on vacation, the family and I went to an aquarium. Nothing worse then idiots pushing their way to the front of an exhibit, and whip out their giant iPads to take video. Rude as all get out, and seemingly enjoy blocking everyone's view.

There is one place were it's NOT ok.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
This past year, while on vacation, the family and I went to an aquarium. Nothing worse then idiots pushing their way to the front of an exhibit, and whip out their giant iPads to take video. Rude as all get out, and seemingly enjoy blocking everyone's view.

There is one place were it's NOT ok.

Would that have been any different if they were holding a different device? If no, then it really has no bearing on the discussion.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The easiest way, as someone else mentioned, is to grow a pair (assuming you're a guy) and not care so much what others think. I've seen plenty of people take videos and photos with iPads and have never thought it to be weird.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Mission+Impossible.jpg

Just suspend yourself from the ceiling and drop down and record when people aren't looking. Be sure to go up when people turn around and make sure you don't have any cuts that are bleeding. (#spiderman)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Would that have been any different if they were holding a different device? If no, then it really has no bearing on the discussion.

I'm guessing a smaller device like smartphone or dedicated digital camera would block the view less. It would still be rude to push others out of the way to take video, though.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Yup. I used to film with a Sony VX2000 camcorder, which was pretty big. And that's not even going back in time to the days of full-size VHS camcorders..

One key difference is that camcorders were typically held closer to the body, even up to your eye to use the viewfinder, while we tend to hold iPads and cell phones out at arm's length. So it takes up more space.

Bottom line is that it's not the camera (or the device the camera is mounted in), it's the operator...

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How can you take a video with the ipad without people thinking I am crazy?
You can't control other people's thoughts. Shoot the video and don't worry about it. Or if what other people think really matters that much then don't shoot the video.

I don't want people knowing I want to take a video with the ipad.
That was a misleading subject... :p

You really just have to consider the specific situation and use something appropriate. It's impossible to give you generic suggestions. Yes, if you just cover it you will be holding something as big as an iPad or larger depending on the covering and that will probably be just as conspicuous as just holding the iPad itself. Consider mounting or fixing it in place and hiding it.

I used to film with a Sony VX2000 camcorder
I miss my VX2000 and PD170. They were excellent workhorses.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

The question was about others, when taking a video with an iPad. How could I have gotten it so wrong.

I'll try harder next time, OK?

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
The question was about others, when taking a video with an iPad. How could I have gotten it so wrong.

I'll try harder next time, OK?

What I meant was that the thread was clearly about people thinking he's crazy for using an iPad as a recording device.

Your example was douche canoe behaviour regardless of what the device being used was, so it didn't really apply.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
What I meant was that the thread was clearly about people thinking he's crazy for using an iPad as a recording device.

Your example was douche canoe behaviour regardless of what the device being used was, so it didn't really apply.
So people with iPads pushing their way in front if an Exhibit, and then blocking everyone 'a view while taking video, does not apply?

Again, I'll try harder to come up with better examples of people taking video on an iPad, than people taking video on an iPad - which every single rude person WAS using.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
So people with iPads pushing their way in front if an Exhibit, and then blocking everyone 'a view while taking video, does not apply?

Again, I'll try harder to come up with better examples of people taking video on an iPad, than people taking video on an iPad - which every single rude person WAS using.

It doesn't apply because the iPad isn't the issue. That story was affected in no way by what the person was using. The question was that the OP was afraid of looking crazy because he was using an iPad to record video. Your example would have been no different if they'd used an iPad, an iPhone, a point-and-click, or a goddam Red Camera. It was just a rude person recording video.

I really don't know how more plainly I can explain this to you. Here, let's try an example exchange:

"I wish I could use Beats headphones without people thinking I'm a hipster."

"Yeah, one time a guy wearing Beats headphones stole my wallet. **** Beats headphones."

TmanATL

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
People holding up full-sized iPads to take photos or record video often look silly, sometimes ridiculous..... just the truth.

And if someone were to hold up an iPad in front of me at a concert or whatever to record it, I'd be pissed....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.