Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
A DVD that I need for school is stuck in the optical drive of my mid-2009 13" MBP. Is there a way to get it out without ruining the disk or the drive?! The computer already thinks it's ejected.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
A DVD that I need for school is stuck in the optical drive of my mid-2009 13" MBP. Is there a way to get it out without ruining the disk or the drive?! The computer already thinks it's ejected.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Try force ejecting it. Restart your computer and before the Apple logo comes up hold the trackpad button down, the disc should eject.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
When the drive is out in pieces, just bin it and fit an SSD in a caddy :)

Hey, I'm working on it! :)
No, seriously just bought a Mushkin from someone here and am trying to find a good caddy now. SSD finally!!!!
I've rescued a couple drives from death by just taking off the top cover and de-dusting everything, but it is risky. And an SSD is much, much better for most use.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011

Well, the OP clearly needs the drive for School (thus the stick disk). He could use an external optical drive, though, but if one is using the drive regularly, it can be quite a bit of a hassle.

Raptor

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Well, the OP clearly needs the drive for School (thus the stick disk). He could use an external optical drive, though, but if one is using the drive regularly, it can be quite a bit of a hassle.

Raptor

Fortunately the poster I addressed my comment to has a sense of humour ;-)

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Fortunately the poster I addressed my comment to has a sense of humour ;-)

Forgive me. I thought you were talking to the OP.

I do agree with you, however. My optical drive remained in my MBP for less than a month before I switched it for an optibay.

Raptor

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

That's what my new rMBP is for ;). The optical drive is still in my mid-2009 MBP for the occasional times I still need one (mostly using remote disk to transfer digital copies of movies; that may be why it's on the fritz! Got lots of movies for Xmas...).

Thanks for the tips and links! I'll see what I can do when I get home.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Thanks for all of your help! Holding down Option on startup and then pressing Eject got it to pop out. Since I also had problems with this disc in my PS2 slim, I think it might be the disc and not my optical drive. Hopefully the disc didn't mess it up though!

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
That's what my new rMBP is for ;). The optical drive is still in my mid-2009 MBP for the occasional times I still need one
When I did the Opti-bay thing to my late '08, I put the removed DVD drive into an external enclosure.

I now have a handy external DVD drive I can use with my late '08, late '13, or any other machine. Well worth the (cheap) cost for the external housing.

It's also handy when you get a disc stuck (as I experienced just last night) -- easier to pop open the enclosure and remove a few tiny cover screws than to remove the bottom plate of the laptop and dig the DVD drive out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.