Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrumor1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
If Apple was willing to come out with a white (non-color) iPhone 5c with a non-matching black front, why didn't they simply come out with a black iPhone 5c?

Any ideas? Did they simply do it to force those who want a black phone to buy the more expensive 5s?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would agree. Just to make it slightly less appealing then the 5S which doesn't offer black either btw.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If Apple was willing to come out with a white (non-color) iPhone 5c with a non-matching black front, why didn't they simply come out with a black iPhone 5c?

Any ideas? Did they simply do it to force those who want a black phone to buy the more expensive 5s?

I would agree. Just to make it slightly less appealing then the 5S which doesn't offer black either btw.

Yes. I would venture to say most males prefer a black phone. It forces them to pay a premium.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Wouldn't it pretty much look like a 5S or the old 5 then? I'd say product differentiation at that point.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Well the iPhone 5c is "for the color" so I think there should not be a white one and no black one.

Petty semantics.

I think their goal was bright and distinct. All black doesn't suite that. The black front hides earpiece and sensors better providing a nicer uniform appearance and contrasts very well with vivid colors.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iphone-5c-black-2.jpg

May have been scrapped, as there were a few leaks. Maybe it wasn't colourful enough/the Apple logo was too hard to see.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

Because the 5C was made to appeal to females.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
most guys don't want a fruity colored phone so it forces them to buy the 5s. i would have considered a black 5c if they had it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
most guys don't want a fruity colored phone so it forces them to buy the 5s. i would have considered a black 5c if they had it.

Fruit manufacturer name, fruit colors :) it fits.

White/Yellow/Green are plenty neutral and normal 'guy' colors.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Maybe they felt that scratches would be more visible on the black. I remember seeing people that had destroyed their 3G or 3GS.

Albert1000

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
It boggles the mind why this evades everyone. Apple didn't release a black (or pure white) 5C because they want you to spend more money to buy the 5S.

This really isn't that hard people. :confused:

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
It boggles the mind why this evades everyone. Apple didn't release a black (or pure white) 5C because they want you to spend more money to buy the 5S.

This really isn't that hard people. :confused:

I think that's pretty much the answer. They know that probably the majority of phones sold are black (men probably predominantly buy black). Why jeopardize sales of your flagship and highest margin phone? It's the same reason they used to only sell the black smart cover in leather and not polyurethane. Black is a classic color - if you want it, pay more to get it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Albert1000

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
I think that's pretty much the answer.
It is definitely the answer. There's no other reason. You are wise.

I'd say Apple nixed a black 5C because the scratches would show badly on a glossy finish.
No. They intentionally reserved the two most popular colors for the higher priced devices. It's really that simple.

I myself was hoping for a black 5C just to save money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.