Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Any suggestions (is it even possible) to convert DTS multichannel audio to playback on an AppleTV3 via iTunes?

I was thinking an AC3 (DD5.1) track would work but iTunes doesn't support AC3 as a audio only format. Is AAC or ALAC multitrack compatible?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Any suggestions (is it even possible) to convert DTS multichannel audio to playback on an AppleTV3 via iTunes?

I was thinking an AC3 (DD5.1) track would work but iTunes doesn't support AC3 as a audio only format. Is AAC or ALAC multitrack compatible?
Where's the problem? iTunes on Mac doesn't play back AC3 track, but once streamed to aTV3 the latter is smart enough to pass this track through to digital out (HDMI, TOSLINK).
AC3 could be played back in earlier versions of iTunes if Perian was installed. Now that Perian is defunct, the AC3 track remains grayed out.

PS I routinely convert all DTS(MA) tracks to AC3 640kbps using HandBrake.
But also MP4tools, Elgato Turbo HD and possibly Subler too is able to do this conversion.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009

iTunes does not support the AC3 track, but the Apple TV will pass it through to your receiver if you have one for multi-channel audio. If you also want to watch the movies on your iOS device or computer you can also add a second AAC track to play there instead.

----------

PS I routinely convert all DTS(MA) tracks to AC3 640kbps using HandBrake.
But also MP4tools, Elgato Turbo HD and possibly Subler too is able to do this conversion.

Mostly correct, but Subler does not support conversion to AC3, only to AAC. It can pass through AC3 just fine however, but must first be converted to AC3 with any of the other programs you mentioned previously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.