Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Local credit union. Really isn't a use for a major bank when credit unions offer all the same services with better rates and better customer service.

Pkupman57

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
El Lay, CA
Local credit union. Really isn't a use for a major bank when credit unions offer all the same services with better rates and better customer service.

This.

Though, that being said, I also have accounts with Citi Bank. They aren't always the easiest to deal with though, and have certain things you need to do, to avoid having to pay monthly fees for checking accounts.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I'd recommend the credit union I work for. ;)

Free checking with 2.5% APR earned on all balances up to $15k, no minimum balance, no monthly fees, free debit card, $20/mo back on ATM fees. :D

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Credit union, for sure.

I heard it put this way once, and it still hits home:

When you belong to a credit union you’re a member of a not-for-profit financial institution. That means any profits made go back into the credit union in the form of better rates and lower fees for the members, who own and control the credit union.

When you belong to a bank, any profits made go to the shareholders of the bank, regardless of how well or how long you keep/maintain your account at that bank.

That info and the banking collapse in 2008 leading to TARP were the biggest catalysts to get me away from banks as fast as I possibly could.

BL.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Credit union, for sure.

I heard it put this way once, and it still hits home:

When you belong to a credit union you’re a member of a not-for-profit financial institution. That means any profits made go back into the credit union in the form of better rates and lower fees for the members, who own and control the credit union.

When you belong to a bank, any profits made go to the shareholders of the bank, regardless of how well or how long you keep/maintain your account at that bank.

That info and the banking collapse in 2008 leading to TARP were the biggest catalysts to get me away from banks as fast as I possibly could.

BL.

Well put!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i just moved from a credit union to chase, i like the chase app so i know where my money is. The credit union only had like 2 branches and the online banking sucked.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I use a small, local bank.

In addition to the very good suggestion to check out credit unions, you might also check small, local banks in your area.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Most big banks can go to hell.

I use a regional credit union, they've been great to myself and my business. And none of the fees that banks charge.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Another vote for credit union.

Have my bank accounts, auto loan and mortgage with the same CU. The service can't be beat.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Only problem with CU's are lack of branches when you need them. Had my first car loan with a credit union and never had a bad experience.

I guess that is where I am lucky.

Of course, major national banks are going to have locations where you need them. I went back to my hometown, and thought I would be screwed because to my knowledge, the closest branch to my bank was a 300 mile drive. Luckily there was an ATM run by my bank in a mall, so I went there and avoided any service fees.

But again, being nearly screwed out of my home (My bank was Bank of America; you can guess the rest of the situation) soured me with them severely. Then add in the fact that they charged a maintenance fee just for having my account there (an account I had for 10 years prior to owning a home), plus 3 counts of fraud activity that took them over a week to reverse those charges, plus encountering another fee after moving one account away which had direct deposit, and that was it.

My current credit union only has one requisite: Live in one of 34 of the the state's 58 counties. If you're in one of those, you're eligible to join; family members included.

Plus, most credit unions talk to other credit unions, letting you avoid any further ATM withdrawal charges should you need to pull cash from anywhere. and 80 branches.

And there is nothing I can't do in my CU's app that I could in BofA's app.

So CU versus a bank? at least for me, Credit Union all the way.

BL.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Only problem with CU's are lack of branches when you need them. Had my first car loan with a credit union and never had a bad experience.

You can use another CU's ATM and even do deposits and withdrawals at other branches. I've never found it to be an issue.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I suggest a credit union. Most accounts have no fee. You are not being nickeled and dimed or have services shoved up.

Like any ATM card, you can use CU ATM card when you get grocery for cash back.

Most of them are affiliated with other CU and you can use teller / atm for free.

My CU reimburses x amount of ATM usage from third party bank if further than certain distance from home.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I have accounts with both a local Credit Union and a smaller regional bank. They are pretty competitive against each other, but the bank gets the edge in lending products due to its size. Wouldn't go to a national bank for nothing.

I walk into either bank and they know me and my family by name. That's worth something right there.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What's a bank? :confused:

My money goes here ...

money-under-mattress-353445.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.