Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Which do you prefer and why? I always left auto brightness on. Since iOS 7 I've been using the control center and accidentally adjust the brightness which messes with the calibration. So I decided to just control the brightness manually.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
auto brightness for me. Calibrate it and let it do its thing.

how to calibrate:

1. turn off auto-brightness
2. Slide brightness all the way down.
3. Go into a dark room.
4. turn auto-brightness on and let the sensor adjust the brightness
5. Win

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
auto brightness for me. Calibrate it and let it do its thing.

how to calibrate:

1. turn off auto-brightness
2. Slide brightness all the way down.
3. Go into a dark room.
4. turn auto-brightness on and let the sensor adjust the brightness
5. Win
I've mostly seen it done slightly differently, although it seems that either method more or less does the same kinds of things:

1. Go into a dark room/location.
2. Turn off auto-brightness.
3. Slide the brightness slider essentially all the way down.
4. Turn on auto-brightness.
5. That's basically it--you can turn on the lights where you are or go to a location with more light and essentially see the brightness adjust, usually in intervals, as needed on its own. (Sometimes a reboot is also recommended after all that, but it doesn't really seem to be necessary.)

http://www.imore.com/how-fix-auto-brightness-issues-under-ios-6

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
On for me, calibrated as per the guide above and it'll work well. The difference in battery life isn't noticeable unless it's set too low to start with.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I've mostly seen it done slightly differently, although it seems that either method more or less does the same kinds of things:

1. Go into a dark room/location.
2. Turn off auto-brightness.
3. Slide the brightness slider essentially all the way down.
4. Turn on auto-brightness.
5. That's basically it--you can turn on the lights where you are or go to a location with more light and essentially see the brightness adjust, usually in intervals, as needed on its own. (Sometimes a reboot is also recommended after all that, but it doesn't really seem to be necessary.)

http://www.imore.com/how-fix-auto-brightness-issues-under-ios-6

After step 4, the sensor does not adjust to the dark room, it stays at the minimum and if I increase it in the dark room then its too bright in a lighted room. I would like to set the maximum brightness so that the screen doesn't become too bright even in the normally lighted room.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If you keep the brightness low then yes it does help with battery. The auto always turns it up higher than it needs to be.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If you keep the brightness low then yes it does help with battery. The auto always turns it up higher than it needs to be.

Follow the steps I posted and you won't ever see brightness higher than it needs to be unless you launch Passbook (which is designed to make the screen brighter so the barcodes are clear and bright).

Also be sure to keep the area of the glass above the light sensor free of smudges and obstructions.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Not really a fan of it constantly changing. I'm fine with one setting for all the time and I can always change it if I feel the need to.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

Agreed, I think that most seasoned users understand this. Auto brightness is kind of a fanboy thing in my book, kind of like raise to speak with siri:)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed, I think that most seasoned users understand this. Auto brightness is kind of a fanboy thing in my book, kind of like raise to speak with siri:)
Yeah, having the device adjust its brightness as needed is a totally fanboy and perhaps even a hipster thing. :rolleyes:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I just started using auto-brightness because it didn't work for me for years because I didn't know you could calibrate it to make it start working again. :( I like a bright screen but at 3 in the morning it burns and the goggles do nothing.

auto brightness for me.]
I've mostly seen it done slightly differently,

Good information from both of you and an important point to make is that instead of sliding it all the way down, you slide it to where you want it for the conditions you are currently in and it remembers that setting:

From the article: 5. Adjust the brightness slider to the level you would like your screen brightness to be at in the given environment. For instance, if you're in a completely dark room, you'll probably want to put the slider all the way to low or pretty close to all the way down.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I deactivated Control Center so I can't accidentally change brightness which I believe would lead to unwanted auto brightness recalibration. That is a major design flaw, and I wish they would either fix it or create another option to also deactivate Control Center on your Home Screen.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I use auto. I don't want to have to change the brightness settings every time I go outside and to dark places. Just leave it auto and iOS will take care of adjusting. I with me it works very well.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If it didn't require calibration I would probably bounce back and forth. But I will be looking at something and want the screen brighter and kick it up or be in a semi dark room but the brightness is taking forever to adjust so I bring it down. And then I have to recalibrate. So I just leave it on manual.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I just started using auto-brightness because it didn't work for me for years because I didn't know you could calibrate it to make it start working again. :( I like a bright screen but at 3 in the morning it burns and the goggles do nothing.

Good information from both of you and an important point to make is that instead of sliding it all the way down, you slide it to where you want it for the conditions you are currently in and it remembers that setting:

From the article: 5. Adjust the brightness slider to the level you would like your screen brightness to be at in the given environment. For instance, if you're in a completely dark room, you'll probably want to put the slider all the way to low or pretty close to all the way down.

I read all that and the only thing that registered was "it burns!" LOL.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it didn't require calibration I would probably bounce back and forth. But I will be looking at something and want the screen brighter and kick it up or be in a semi dark room but the brightness is taking forever to adjust so I bring it down. And then I have to recalibrate. So I just leave it on manual.
Once calibrated you generally don't have to do it again at all, or at least not for a while (until/unless you notice it being off for some reason, which shouldn't be the case most of the time).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Once calibrated you generally don't have to do it again at all, or at least not for a while (until/unless you notice it being off for some reason, which shouldn't be the case most of the time).

unless there is a smudge on the glass/screen protector that sits on top of the light sensor :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.