Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have a later Power Mac G4 MDD with its original 64MB ATi Radeon 9000 Pro.

I want to upgrade the graphics card in it to something more powerful. What is the fastest video card with the most video memory I can install? I found from somewhere that this Mac is only capable of seeing and using 256MB of video memory, but I can't confirm it anymore.

Does anyone have any tips as to what brands and models I should be looking for?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Have any experience with flashing PC cards for macs? There was one occasion that when my G5 was delivered the card was toast, so I found a FX5200 and made that work till my 9600 showed up.

I believe if you didn't want to go fancy with a Radeon 9800 there's some trick you can do with taping 2 pins. I don't know if you could go buy a G5 radeon (such as the 9600) and tape the pins. Never tried it, but I will when I eventually have a G4 quicksilver or MDD :D

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
256MB is all that PPC based Mac's ever used/supported.

For a MDD, a flashed nVidia GeForce 7800GS will be the fastest AGP card (after you tape a couple of pins off), although it wont run at fullspeed like in a G5. The MDD's only have a 4x AGP bus.

EDIT: I believe you only need to tape pins if it's a flashed card, if it's an OEM/Mac Edition you don't need to. Don't quote me on that though.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Have any experience with flashing PC cards for macs? There was one occasion that when my G5 was delivered the card was toast, so I found a FX5200 and made that work till my 9600 showed up.

I believe if you didn't want to go fancy with a Radeon 9800 there's some trick you can do with taping 2 pins. I don't know if you could go buy a G5 radeon (such as the 9600) and tape the pins. Never tried it, but I will when I eventually have a G4 quicksilver or MDD :D

I'm quite unfamiliar with flashing PC cards, and to be honest, I'm not sure what it is, what it does, why it is done and how to do it.

Besides, I'd have to go out and buy one, unfortunately. The only worthwhile graphics cards I have are both PCIe x16 cards, one with 1GB of video memory and the other with 1.5GB of video memory. Either way the cards won't work.

I wouldn't try a graphics card out of a G5, as I'm not willing to take my chances with buying the card/machine and then having it not work. Besides, if I bought the machine, I would try to make it work if it didn't, and if it did, I would stop using the G4.

----------

256MB is all that PPC based Macs ever used/supported.

For a MDD, a flashed nVidia GeForce 7800GS will be the fastest AGP card (after you tape a couple of pins off), although it wont run at fullspeed like in a G5. The MDD's only have a 4x AGP bus.

EDIT: I believe you only need to tape pins if it's a flashed card, if it's an OEM/Mac Edition you don't need to. Don't quote me on that though.

Specifically, which pins would require taping?

I found several graphics cards of the model that you suggested, but they are all $100+, which I do not have and probably will not have for a while. So, this is a good suggestion, but I'll have to hold it off for a while.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Yeah what I meant to say it's all that AGP PPC Mac's ever saw/supported. My bad.

The 7800GS is a beast in a G5, best bet for upgrading a G4 besides the memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.