Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:13 PM   #1
leekohler
Banned

Domestic Spy Program Leak Probed

Hmm- I wonder if torture and imprisonment without charges will help get to the bottom of this one? How much do you wanna bet they find the person who leaked the info REALLY quickly? Read it all:

The Justice Department has opened an investigation into the leak of classified information about President Bush's secret domestic spying program, Justice officials said Friday.

The officials, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the probe, said the inquiry will focus on disclosures to The New York Times about warrantless surveillance conducted by the National Security Agency since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Earlier this month, the president said he would not order the Justice Department to investigate the leak - but there was no mistaking his anger that the wiretap program was disclosed, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Knoller. He called it a "shameful act" in a time of war that would help the enemy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1172259.shtml
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2
solvs
macrumors 601

So leaking the name of a CIA agent is fine. As is spying on your own citizens because you're too lazy to get a warrant (or you just didn't want to have a reason). As well as all of the other unethical things done by this administration and it's allies (cough: DeLay :cough). But somebody telling the press that the illegal spying was done (even though it was held for over a year), that needs an investigation!?!

And people still support this man...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3
leekohler
Banned

This one will be quick too. Trust me.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:40 AM   #4
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler
This one will be quick too. Trust me.
Think they'll take the leaker to a secret prison and "disappear" him?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
So leaking the name of a CIA agent is fine. As is spying on your own citizens because you're too lazy to get a warrant (or you just didn't want to have a reason). As well as all of the other unethical things done by this administration and it's allies (cough: DeLay :cough). But somebody telling the press that the illegal spying was done (even though it was held for over a year), that needs an investigation!?!

And people still support this man...
The administration seems to have a double standard here, Its ok for them to break law,spy on Americans,out a cia agent,etc but when the other party does it? Our Govt has sunk to new lows in its partison bickering even ignoring laws if its good for the party(not country). Party first,everything else is second.Both are guilty of this but iam Still embarrassed that George & the Gang represent this country of ours at the "Moment". First thing anyone thinks of when thinking about our country now is George, not a champion for freedom,liberty or justice but a champion for torture,secrecy,black projects and spying and a spun up war that will make certain that Iraq becomes a theocracy in the near future or is split up.
Just as Clinton needed a republican Congress Bush needs a democratic ran Congress to keep his wild plans in check. America is at its worst when one of these clowns(democrat/republican) run the whole show. This should be obvious to anyone the past 5 years.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:49 AM   #6
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
The administration seems to have a double standard here, Its ok for them to break law,spy on Americans,out a cia agent,etc but when the other party does it? Our Govt has sunk to new lows in its partison bickering even ignoring laws if its good for the party(not country). Party first,everything else is second.Both are guilty of this but iam Still embarrassed that George & the Gang represent this country of ours at the "Moment". First thing anyone thinks of when thinking about our country now is George, not a champion for freedom,liberty or justice but a champion for torture,secrecy,black projects and spying and a spun up war that will make certain that Iraq becomes a theocracy in the near future or is split up.
Just as Clinton needed a republican Congress Bush needs a democratic ran Congress to keep his wild plans in check. America is at its worst when one of these clowns(democrat/republican) run the whole show. This should be obvious to anyone the past 5 years.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The balance of power is way out of whack. Someone else said it in another thread, but I now wouldn't be surprised if this administration tried to cancel the 2006 elections. They'd use the war excuse. Problem is- the so-called War on Terror will never be won.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:04 AM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Clearly some of us have got to get with the program here. The problem isn't that the Bush administration is authorizing warrantless searches on Americans, but that we found out that the Bush administration is authorizing warrantless searches on Americans.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Just wanted to state my agreement with the above and ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler
The officials, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the probe, said the inquiry will focus on disclosures to The New York Times about warrantless surveillance conducted by the National Security Agency since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Does anybody else see yet another reporter going to jail for refusing to reveal his sources?
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:00 PM   #9
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly
Clearly some of us have got to get with the program here. The problem isn't that the Bush administration is authorizing warrantless searches on Americans, but that we found out that the Bush administration is authorizing warrantless searches on Americans.
Yep. Thus the rational leap that it's unpatriotic, nay even traitorous, to question anything the Bush administration does, yet feel compelled to investigate via subponea any time someone in the Clinton administration sneezed.

Certainly fits into the paternalistic 'we know what's best for you and your soul' attitude that pervades.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

One more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Hurt Me
The administration seems to have a double standard here, Its ok for them to break law,spy on Americans,out a cia agent,etc but when the other party does it? Our Govt has sunk to new lows in its partison bickering even ignoring laws if its good for the party(not country).
I'm not going to stand here and tell you that the Democrats are pure, but...

We talk so much, and so often, about how Bush breaks laws and violates American values with impunity, trashing anyone who dares question him.

I can't help but think of the scene early on in "Fahrenheit 9/11", when Gore was presiding over the Senate, and visiting representatives from the House sought to protest the certification process, based on the Florida election irregularities. One by one, Gore asked the representatives if anyone from the Senate had co-signed their petition. The answer was no...and in one particularly poignant moment, when a representative said that she didn't care about getting co-signers from the Senate, Gore said, "Let me assure you that the rules do care!"

It's painful to me to think of Gore upholding the rules of Congress, at such great personal cost to him (and ultimately, to us)...and this charlatan and his neocon cohorts violate rules and laws left and right and get away with it.

Absolutely disgusting. No matter what you think of Gore, he would've made a far, far better president than this idiot.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues