Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Hey everybody,

I'm the developer of iPhi, which is an incredibly powerful calculator and a universal question answering App.
It solves problems in the field of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, economics and many more.
Also it is able to answer questions in the fields of geography, history, music and many more...

As a backend it uses the well known Wolfram|Alpha™ Computational Knowledge Engine™, that it presents without distractions and it automatically puts the focus of the window on the content.

One of it's unique features is that it provides specialized input forms for regularly occurring mathematical problems like differentiate, integrate, solving linear algebra problems, 2D-/3D-plotting and solving equations.
All these problems can be complicated to type into a single lined input text field that Wolfram|Alpha usually provides. Here iPhi comes into play and makes things much easier for you.

Also it has built in support for Wolfram|Alpha Pro!

Here's the link to the webpage: http://www.coldx.net/iPhi/en

And here directly to the Mac App Store where it's for sale for $1.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphi/id795810915?l=de&ls=1&mt=12

If you have any feedback, feature requests or any other questions... let me know! ;-)

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Some advice for future ads---it's "differentiate" not "derive", and "integrate" not "intergrate" ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
@LPZ: I'm not a native speaker but I think I use the right words here as I'm referring to the mathematical terms "derivative" and "integral" where the verb for "making" one of these are as far as I know "to derive" and "to integrate"...

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I'm a mathematician. The verb is "differentiate" rather than "derive". Trust me. ;)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
I'm a mathematician. The verb is "differentiate" rather than "derive". Trust me. ;)

As I said: I'm not a native speaker... ;-) What's most important is the feature itself that helps the people. Not the title of a button leading to it ;-)

Last edited:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
As I said: I'm not a native speaker... ;-) What's most important is that the feature itself that helps the people. Not the title of a button leading to it ;-)

It's your app, so you may label the button as you wish. Since most of my students incorrectly use "derive" instead of "differentiate", perhaps your choice is best from a marketing perspective. :)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Version 1.2

Just submitted Version 1.2 of iPhi to the Mac App Store waiting for Apple to review it and finally update it on the Store.

@LPZ: You were right, "differentiate" is the more commonly used word. So I changed the titles of the buttons in Version 1.2 to the right term. Thank you for telling me by the way! :)

Also Ver 1.2 brings some "under the hood" changes...

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement: iPhi Version 1.2

Here it is!
Apple just accepted Version 1.2 of iPhi.

Changelog:
- Fixed a Bug where the Sidebar could not get collapsed when the App was in Fullscreen Mode.
- Changed some labels
- Minor bug fixes

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Hey everybody,

I'm the developer of iPhi, which is an incredibly powerful calculator and a universal answering machine.
It solves problems in the field of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, economics and many more.
Also it is able to answer questions in the fields of geography, history, music and many more...

Am I the only person that read "answering machine" and thought this was a calculator app that also handled your phone calls? I thought, "wait, why would I want my calculator to answer my phone calls? That's just weird."

Maybe change the headline to "iPhi, the incredibly powerful calculator and a universal question answering machine."

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Am I the only person that read "answering machine" and thought this was a calculator app that also handled your phone calls? I thought, "wait, why would I want my calculator to answer my phone calls? That's just weird."

Maybe change the headline to "iPhi, the incredibly powerful calculator and a universal question answering machine."

me too.

i thought that was the weirdest combo but what do i know

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

I had the same reaction. I would drop the "machine" and call it a question answering app.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
derive vs. differentiate reminds me of a bug I fixed in a software once, where that software offered the calculation of a sinus function - which is the German word for sine, but has a different meaning for English native speakers :D (and the user interface was in English, that's why that was considered a bug).

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Haha! I was quite amused while reading your posts about how you interpreted "answering machine" :-D

I changed the title to "Question answering App". I hope that makes clear what the App is able to do on the first reading! :)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Just submited iPhi version 1.3 to the Mac App Store

Hey everybody,

I just submited iPhi version 1.3 to the Mac App Store.
It should be available for downloading in a couple of days after Apple has reviewed it.

Enjoy! ;-)

The Changelog:
- Even better presentation of your results
- Changed the way the specialized input forms interact with Wolfram|Alpha™

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement: iPhi Version 1.3

Here it is. Approved by Apple! ;-)

betaphi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Announcement: iPhi Version 1.4

Today I'm announcing iPhi Version 1.4 that is already available in the Mac App Store.

Version 1.4 is a bugfix release, so it contains no new features.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's your app, so you may label the button as you wish. Since most of my students incorrectly use "derive" instead of "differentiate", perhaps your choice is best from a marketing perspective. :)

Confusingly, you differentiate to derive the derivative :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.