Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pixelmator Updated With 16-Bit Color and Full Mac Pro Support

Pixelmator has updated its image editing software to version 3.1, adding full support for the new Mac Pro, including 16-bit per channel images, full GPU support, and optimizations for the multi-core processors in the new machine.

The app now uses both Mac Pro GPU's simultaneously for composition rendering and uses lots of background computing to speed up zoom and other tasks, with the company claiming that "image editing is now completely seamless, and even with large and complex compositions you will experience profoundly faster and more responsive performance."
Quote:
"We are extremely excited for professionals to experience the power and speed of Pixelmator 3.1 Marble on their new Mac Pros," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "Harnessing the power of the Mac Pro's dual-GPU architecture, we're now able to support 16-bit per channel images for the first time and push the limits of Pixelmator performance like never before."

Pixelmator has also gained a new Order Prints feature that allows users to order postcards, notecards, gallery frames, or posters right in the app. The app received its last significant upgrade back in October when it gained a new image editing engine.

Pixelmator 3.1 is a free upgrade for existing users, while new users can download the app from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Updated With 16-Bit Color and Full Mac Pro Support
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Here's the actual changelog(s):
http://support.pixelmator.com/updates
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:12 AM   #3
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Always good news to see Pixelmator updated. But I do wonder how many Mac Pro users are actually using Pixelmator that much. Seems if a pro is going to spend that much on a tool, they'd use Photoshop.
ValSalva is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Frign
macrumors member

Pixelmator is a very nice program. I give it a few more years to become _really_ competitive against Photoshop (esp. in regard to the fact many people hate CC).

The problem may be that many designers use Photoshop, because it nicely fits into the Adobe-ecosystem (Illustrator, InDesign, ...). That probably is the most important factor to consider here.

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:25 AM   #5
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Hello Pixelmator! Goodbye Photoshop!
szw-mapple fan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Rossatron
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Always good news to see Pixelmator updated. But I do wonder how many Mac Pro users are actually using Pixelmator that much. Seems if a pro is going to spend that much on a tool, they'd use Photoshop.
not a pro, but have yet to find any feature i was missing from photoshop when using pixelmator. i think its a viable alternative.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:29 AM   #7
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
Hello Pixelmator! Goodbye Photoshop!
I've since given up on PS. I have an older version and I refuse to go the subscription model. I'm not a heavy hitter so Pixelmator has been more then enough for me.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:40 AM   #8
epic-retouching
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossatron View Post
not a pro, but have yet to find any feature i was missing from photoshop when using pixelmator. i think its a viable alternative.
am a pro, Pixelmator is about 20% of Photoshop features that I use hehe. Pixelmator is great but not there yet
epic-retouching is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:47 AM   #9
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

The main thing I don't like about Pixelmator is how there's no greyscale or CMYK. Their approach is that if you're going to create images for print, the color space will be prepared by exporting to PDF.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:05 AM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Good to know. Pixelmator is obviously getting more and more powerful with each update.
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:09 AM   #11
kazmac
macrumors 65816

I'm not a pro either

and Pixelmator is a snap to use.

I prefer it to Photoshop, but Pro mileage may vary.

I am very impressed at how quickly they've updated the software to utilize the Mac Pro (I know they were used in the Mac Pro demos but still this is very nice to see.) They were pretty fast with Retina optimization too.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:23 AM   #12
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

I haven't yet moved from Photoshop CS6 to CC yet. The more Pixelmator improves the less I may be forced into CC slavery. 16 bit support, though, is a big big help. I may have found the successor for PS for the things I need.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Dranix
macrumors 6502

What a p.o.s. 8( The 16bit support *ONLY* works on nMP... I wonder what they smoke. It's not like coreimage utilizing 128bit per pixel internally anyway.
Dranix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:38 AM   #14
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I love Pixelmator. It does a lot of stuff better than Photoshop (MUCH better Pen Tool, real time Gradients vs Photoshops gradient guessing game, etc).

I can't abandon Photoshop because my workflow is built around it (and I need 32 bit image editing for depth masks and such) but I love to use Pixelmator.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:38 AM   #15
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Best 30 bucks I ever spent on software. It may not be better than photoshop, but it sure is for the price.
wlossw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:42 AM   #16
japanime
macrumors 65816

I own Pixelmator, but haven't been able to incorporate it into my regular workflow because of the very dark UI. I find it incredibly difficult to read the text on the black menu backgrounds. If the developer would give us a chance toggle between a light and dark UI, I'd probably never open Photoshop again.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:48 AM   #17
Dranix
macrumors 6502

Well my painting has migrated mostly to ClipStudioPaint anyway ;P But the colors in Pixelmator are really hard to see on calibrated displays, they get better when you push brightness to insane levels...
Dranix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:03 AM   #18
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Photoshop Elements is dead

Pixelmator isn't to the point of upending the Photoshop market yet, but with full 16-bit support (on a Mac Pro only for the moment, but I'd suspect that will extend to all new hardware shortly) Photoshop Elements (with half-assed 16-bit support where it will open 16-bit images but you can't do anything with them unless you thunk down to 8-bit) is dead. There is absolutely no reason to go with Adobe's "consumer" software range when Pixelmator surpasses it across the board (and so much cheaper, at $30 for multiple years instead of $70-99 per ~yearly upgrade).

While Photoshop is still safe, PSE is obsolete. There is simply no reason to spend money on that software now.
jettredmont is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:09 AM   #19
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
While I would agree that it is unlikely high end users are going to go for Pixelmator over Photoshop it does give them an advantage that Photoshop is unlikely to match for quite some time given Adobe's sluggish reaction to new technology. This not only benefits Mac Pro users using openCL will give performance improvements on any machine with the a GPU that is supported which are quite a few. Pixelmator is getting better all the time and I think will start to be a serious contender for many Photoshop users within a couple of years.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Dranix
macrumors 6502

Just got a reply from them that other macs will get the 16bit just a little later. My personal opinion is it needs some new api in 10.9.2 that is already in the special build of 10.9.1 for nMP...
Dranix is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:26 AM   #21
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Actually it depends on the main use of the Mac Pro. And from what I've been reading, not all th epeople buying Mac Pros are professionals anyway.

Quote:
The 16bit support is what was missing for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranix View Post
What a p.o.s. 8( The 16bit support *ONLY* works on nMP... I wonder what they smoke. It's not like coreimage utilizing 128bit per pixel internally anyway.
Well as it was stated 16bit support is coming for all Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
I own Pixelmator, but haven't been able to incorporate it into my regular workflow because of the very dark UI. I find it incredibly difficult to read the text on the black menu backgrounds. If the developer would give us a chance toggle between a light and dark UI, I'd probably never open Photoshop again.
Have you seen the dark interface for Photoshop Elements? It's pretty bad. In any case, send feedback to Pixelmater - the more people who comment on this means it's more likely they will do something about it.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:36 AM   #22
Basic75
macrumors member

16bit only on Mac Pro?

I was just getting excited, then I saw that 16bit is only on Mac Pro!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic75 View Post
I was just getting excited, then I saw that 16bit is only on Mac Pro!
...but it seems that it will be coming to all Macs later.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:36 AM   #23
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I can't even tell the difference between a lot of 8 bit colors... Why make them 16 bit? (We're talking about going from 2^24 different hues to 2^48 different hues, right? And going from 2^8 different amounts of transparency to 2^16 different amounts of transparency, right?)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:40 AM   #24
Dranix
macrumors 6502

It's only for the working space. You can avoid color banding by working in 16bit per color. The final image should be reduced to 8bit.
Dranix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:19 AM   #25
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranix View Post
It's only for the working space. You can avoid color banding by working in 16bit per color. The final image should be reduced to 8bit.
Or you can leave the final image in 16bit in case you have to make changes to it again.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion