Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Very recently (last week perhaps) I've noticed that when I wake my macbook air from sleep sometimes I get a weird checkered horizontal lines pattern like the graphics have gone crazy. It only last for 2-3 secs (hence why I don't have a screen shot) before the computer wakes up and everything is back to normal. At first I thought it might be waking my computer when it was very cold (it is very cold in Boston right now) but I just had a much briefer but similar glitch when simply waking my computer from sleep after a few minutes while here at the office.

These graphics glitches have thus far not impacted my ability to use the computer in anyway. It is more that I am concerned that there might be an issue with my motherboard. I'm running ML 10.8.5 btw and as far as I can tell I haven't made any major software changes during the time this problem cropped up.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? This is my work machine and one and only computer so I can't be without it for very long. But I was thinking of calling Apple and describing the problem to them. I bought this computer in late august so it is still under warranty but I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate the problem as it is so intermittent.

Any advice much appreciated!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you can duplicate the problem every time I would take it in for service.

If it just happens once in a blue moon, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Just in case anyone else comes across this issue. I chatted with an apple technician online and described my problem. He suggested to trash the power management plist file found at:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

And then restart.

Too soon to say for certain but I tested before trying the tip and was able to immediately reproduce the issue by manually putting the computer to sleep and then waking it back up. After trashing the plist file and rebooting I tried again and everything appears normal. Hopefully this fixed it!

PS. I was not expecting chatting online with Apple tech support to be helpful but it was REALLY helpful and this was at 9pm on a sunday evening. I highly recommend it if you don't have time to go to an apple store.

BrickbookPro

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Just in case anyone else comes across this issue. I chatted with an apple technician online and described my problem. He suggested to trash the power management plist file found at:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

And then restart.

Too soon to say for certain but I tested before trying the tip and was able to immediately reproduce the issue by manually putting the computer to sleep and then waking it back up. After trashing the plist file and rebooting I tried again and everything appears normal. Hopefully this fixed it!

PS. I was not expecting chatting online with Apple tech support to be helpful but it was REALLY helpful and this was at 9pm on a sunday evening. I highly recommend it if you don't have time to go to an apple store.
I've had that problem too! I'll give that a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.