Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I have an OSX server running on an old mini (snow leopard server, anything newer does not run on this mini). It does not do much, just VPS and mail relay. Since I am on a lot of different locations I use my own server as my outgoing mail server so I don't need a long list of ISP's smtp servers on my laptops etc. The server is set to relay the mail through my ISP.
All is well, except when I am on a location where port 25 is blocked. Then of course I cannot reach my own server and I will still have to use the local ISP's smtp.
I'm guessing all I have to do to change this is use a different port. I know where to set this on my laptops and phones, but of course I will have to tell the server to listen on another port as well. But where? And what port-number would you suggest?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Before you change port 25, you might consider adding port 587 (email submission) to your forwarding list.

A.

arjena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Before you change port 25, you might consider adding port 587 (email submission) to your forwarding list.

A.

Not really sure what that means... What forwarding list and where do I find it?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Presumably, you have a router or firewall as part of your installation. If so, you are forwarding port 25 through said firewall so outside hosts can connect to your server. I am suggesting that you also forward port 587, which would let your mail client try an alternate port in those cases where port 25 is blocked.

A.

arjena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Ah, all right, that forwarding list...
Ports 587 and 465 are already routed. That does not help. Apparently either my outgoing mail only uses 25 (mail.app set to default where all three ports are listed) or the server is only listening on that port.
Thanks for the tip though!

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.